Upgrades and Fixes to my 06 CTS - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Upgrades and Fixes to my 06 CTS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by ctsbboy JW- how did you keep your DIC in with your aftermarket DVD? When I bought my ...
    praprestoabi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): HAD 2004 CTS 3.6, Now 2010 CTS Wagon 3.0

Re: Upgrades and Fixes to my 06 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by ctsbboy View Post
    JW- how did you keep your DIC in with your aftermarket DVD? When I bought my cts it already had a pioneer 7" in it without the DIC & I REALLY want my car to have the DIC! I was really thinking about taking out the aftermarket DVD & buying a factory DVD or CD player just to get the DIC back. Did you do it yourself & is there a kit I can buy that let's me keep my DIC or did you cut & fabricate the dash yourself to make both fit & work. If so how? Thanks in advance.
    or buy a obd2 bluetooth scanner off ebay for 15$ and have more info then your dic ever gave you and have a sweet aftermarket HU with tons of features

greatchase is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

I too am looking to upgrade my new 2006 CTS.

I'm considering the 7" Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS. I'd like to install that where the CD player is, keep the DIC (I want all the mileage, other info, and car settings available through it - feel free to redirect me if it's possible to get that info directly through the new HU), and maintain my use of the steering wheel controls (I know I'll need an adapter).

I'm currently using the steering wheel controls to go and up and down saved stations/tracks and go up and down on the thermostat temperature. I'd like to continue being able to use those functions as well as the volume wheel/source selection button.

If possible, I'd love to use the talk button to access the phone functionality in the new HU too (although I won't be too upset if that's not possible.

Finally, I do use XM. Will I be able to use the XM tuning functionality currently in the car or will I have to buy the separate tuner that goes with the HU?

Also (maybe this goes without saying) I still want any of the car's bells/warning sounds to play through the speakers.

Any guidance you have on this setup would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by greatchase View Post
    I too am looking to upgrade my new 2006 CTS.

I'm considering the 7" Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS. I'd like to install that where the CD player is, keep the DIC (I want all the mileage, other info, and car settings available through it - feel free to redirect me if it's possible to get that info directly through the new HU), and maintain my use of the steering wheel controls (I know I'll need an adapter).

I'm currently using the steering wheel controls to go and up and down saved stations/tracks and go up and down on the thermostat temperature. I'd like to continue being able to use those functions as well as the volume wheel/source selection button.

If possible, I'd love to use the talk button to access the phone functionality in the new HU too (although I won't be too upset if that's not possible.

Finally, I do use XM. Will I be able to use the XM tuning functionality currently in the car or will I have to buy the separate tuner that goes with the HU?

Any guidance you have on this setup would be much appreciated
    i have the 3500BHS and love it!!!!

greatchase is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

That's good to hear. How do you have it set up? Did you keep your DIC? Does it work with your steering wheel controls?

J W
    J W is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

You will have to use PAC modules or something similar to retain your bells and steering wheel controls. The info you need is at the bottom of the first page of this topic.

i personally didnt care to have steering wheel controls for an extra 75, i dont mine leaning up. I junked the dic, dont need it, as listed above grab a obd2 bluetooth scanner and an app for your phone and you will have 10x as much as the DIC showed you. Having bluetooth calling and full control of my music is more important to me :b
    Quote Originally Posted by greatchase View Post
    That's good to hear. How do you have it set up? Did you keep your DIC? Does it work with your steering wheel controls?

GhostCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

Ok, so I went ahead and put my Pioneer AVH-X4500BT in today. I used the Metra GMOS-10 wiring harness, which keeps the use of the factory chimes and what not, plus some other features. Also used the metra dash kit. I got the Pioneer, wiring harness, dash kit and antenna adapter for $409, so it was a damn good deal IMO.

Head unit, sub and amp that I will be installing.

I know it has been covered before, but here is what you'll need to do the radio install:
    7mm socket
    10mm socket
    Pry tool

for the wiring harness you can use crimp caps or solder with heat shrink. The harness is pretty self explanatory.

To take out the factory stereo, the first thing you will need to do is remove the tray where the 12v plug in is, there will be a hole and in that hole is the 7mm screw.

Once you take the screw out, you can use your pry tool and remove the HVAC unit. Once you remove the unit, there will be two 10mm bolts, remove those.

Next, the vents above the radio, use your pry tool again and the vents should pop out pretty easily. There will be another two 10mm bolts, remove those and the stereo should pull on out.

Basically just reverse the process when installing your new head unit.

Ran out of sunlight so you can really see it installed but here is what it looks like at night.

Here is the final product in the daytime. My wiring kit should be in tomorrow, so that will be taken care of some time this weekend. Only issue I am going to have is building a box to mount to the underneath of the rear deck since I want to utilize the factory sub location and conserve as much space as possible. Luckily the JL W0 only needs .65 cu ft.

harporu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Very nice ride Ghostcaddy!

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostCaddy View Post
    Here is the final product in the daytime. My wiring kit should be in tomorrow, so that will be taken care of some time this weekend. Only issue I am going to have is building a box to mount to the underneath of the rear deck since I want to utilize the factory sub location and conserve as much space as possible. Luckily the JL W0 only needs .65 cu ft.

Are you happy about your decision of going with the pioneer instead?

Quote Originally Posted by harporu View Post
    Very nice ride Ghostcaddy!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arogers260 View Post
    Are you happy about your decision of going with the pioneer instead?
    Much, much happier with the pioneer.

Thanks

Much, much happier with the pioneer.
    Pioneers are worth the money no matter which model you buy. The avh series is a really good purchase imo.

Pioneers are worth the money no matter which model you buy. The avh series is a really good purchase imo.
    Yes it is. However, i do have a problem. My radio doesnt lose power but the audio does cut out. Its almost as if the amp is shutting off...???? Weird.

Yes it is. However, i do have a problem. My radio doesnt lose power but the audio does cut out. Its almost as if the amp is shutting off...???? Weird.
    All audio or just the sub?

All audio or just the sub?
    All audio

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.