Trans Cooler feedback for those installed a year or more
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Trans Cooler feedback for those installed a year or more in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I'm probably gonna be doing a trans cooler install in a week or so. Those of you who have had ...
    briggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles

Trans Cooler feedback for those installed a year or more

I'm probably gonna be doing a trans cooler install in a week or so. Those of you who have had these in for some time any feedback ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    I went with B&M. It was quick and easy!!!

----------

I may still have the part number. But it was the one with 3/8" outlets I believe. I can see if I have the numbers after supper.

Re: Trans Cooler feedback for those installed a year or more

yea I've been reading teh threads and from what I see this looks like something I need to do. Thanks for the feedback.

Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS

I have this now http://www.amazon.com/70264-SuperCoo...m+trans+cooler with a fan on a tstat. http://www.amazon.com/PROCOMP-ELECTR...ansmission+fan

But after a summer of use I'm going to this http://www.amazon.com/70274-SuperCoo...m+trans+cooler because I've found that running in the mountains or hilly roads I need more capacity. Plus it has 1/2" fpt inlet and outlet.

How did you figure out you weren't getting enough cooling, you kept track of the temp ?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman_jd View Post
    I have this now http://www.amazon.com/70264-SuperCoo...m+trans+cooler with a fan on a tstat. http://www.amazon.com/PROCOMP-ELECTR...ansmission+fan

But after a summer of use I'm going to this http://www.amazon.com/70274-SuperCoo...m+trans+cooler because I've found that running in the mountains or hilly roads I need more capacity. Plus it has 1/2" fpt inlet and outlet.

I new someone was going to ask that question... Well the latest trip I went to Tucson and up to mount Lemon. Starting manually shifting on the way down and started having unusual shifting events like not shifting up or down when trying to change gears. Put it in neutral and coasted for a while and used the brake instead letting the transmission fluid cool down, after a minute or so I was able to shift normal again. I know I need to put a temp gauge on it to quantify what I'm experiencing but what the hell its cheap insurance so I'm going ahead and doubling the capacity of the cooler and see if that helps.

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

I had my external installed on July 9th, 2012 at 104,589 miles. The first thing that I've noticed a difference in, as when I went to South Carolina the next week. On the way down there, from Connecticut, I've of course hit traffic in New Jersey. During the day and sun beating down. I've had my CTS in traffic before so I knew something was different with this traffic. As it wasn't so sluggish as it has been before. I believe the reason is because the transmission fluid is no longer in the same radiator as the engine coolant. Thus the ATF can stay cooler better.

At 118,735 miles on August 27, 2013 I had a flush done. Unfortunately the person who was doing it was being a dumb ass. And at least a half of qt of ATF has been lost. On top of the external being installed, which none was put in then. So I maybe 1.5 to 2.0 qt low at the moment. Going to my brothers shop to filler her up today or next week.

She now has 120,000 miles on her. With the loss of ATF, she does tend to whine when shifting into 1st, mostly from 2nd. Sometimes from neutral.

I'm glad that I had it done. Just not glad on how it was handled.

KOT

Argent1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6

Any comments from anybody in the colder winter weather ? How does the tranny behave with the cold fluid not being heated by the engine ? Any ideas on the best place to install a temp. gauge sender ?

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    I don't think winter will be an issue. Your tranny itself will warm the fluid enough. Most trucks and SUV's have external coolers with no issues. I have an external that was installed this summer. I am not worried about it in the winter.

People in cold climates could use a by-pass thermostat like this> http://www.amazon.com/Derale-25792-F...sim_sbs_auto_1

"Product Description
    This Billet Style Cast Aluminum Fluid Control Thermostat with 1/2 inch NPT ports allows the oil to bypass the cooler until it reaches 180 degree F at which point the internal thermostatic valve will close and force 100 per cent of the oil through the cooler while maintaining a constant pressure system. This process allows the engine/transmission to achieve the ideal operating temperature quicker before passing the oil through the cooler. The unit can be rotated 180 degree to change flow direction and includes a universal mounting bracket for 4 different mounting positions."

One of my concerns is most coolers or how to's are based on installing the cooler in tandem with the existing as a supplemental system, not as a replacement. so I have real concerns with the cooling capacity. My question is if your trans fluid was cooking at 200 degrees would you know ? ie wish someone was actually monitoring the before and afters. Take a look at the link below, this guy with a similar sized car to hours installed a B&M 70264 as a supplimental system and found temperature drop got the following temperature drops. This tells me running on it's on this model will NOT be sufficient. How do you guys know your not cooking your trans fluid if you've never checked it. I think I will be installing a oil temp sending unit also with mine and a 70266 which is rated at 20,000BTUs as opposed to the 14k of the one typically installed.

Before: Ambient temp 85* sunny dry
    Hwy 170*
    City 190-205*

After: Ambient 72* sunny dry
    Hwy 135*
    City 150-160*

http://www.bulkpart.com/transmission-cooler.html
    http://my.is/forums/f87/diy-is300-tr...0264-a-445460/
    http://bmracing.com/wp-bnmcont/uploa...er_techdoc.pdf

Based on the links above the smallest cooler you should install in your car if not installed as a supplimental cooler is a B&M70266.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Where is DavidBoren? He went a different route then Iceman, afaik.

See thread, He installed a Hayden SwirlCool (ORiely). It looks comparable to the B&M 70266 cept the B&M is a blade cooler which has the low pressure drop feature/fad. Should be noted that his Dealer seemed to think the model B&M would restrict the flow (3/8") There is a 70266 which is a 1/2" line so i'm not sure how these compare. So I sense a change in thought coming. He did install a temp gauge see his link below.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...er-update.html

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    Where is DavidBoren? He went a different route then Iceman, afaik.

Ok I've narrowed it down to the following two options B&M 70266 and Hayden 1241. both are heavy duty with 1/2 inlet lines. My deciding factor is pressure loss, and warm up issues. The B&M has the option of LPD or whatever that is that limits teh vanes used so the oil warms up faster, vanes also transfer more heat, but is this at the cost of pressure. Will keep doing research feel free to chime in.

Hayden Swirl Cool

8 inch x 21 inch x 1-1/2 inch (One Pass)
    Applications include transmission, engine, gear box and hydraulic oils
    Designed for rugged heavy use
    Single pass design
    Turbulators in every tube creating 3-1/2 times more cooling surface
    http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automot...mission+cooler

Rigid stacked-plate design is resistant to damage, and much better at cooling than ordinary 'fin and tube' coolers
    Constructed from black finished lightweight aluminum alloy for maximum corrosion resistance
    11" x 8" x 1-1/2" racing model is rated at 20,500 BTU, and pressure tested to 200 PSI
    Fluxless, oven brazed construction is vibration resistant
    Multiple oil flow paths for maximum cooling efficiency
    http://www.amazon.com/70266-SuperCoo...mission+cooler

Quote Originally Posted by briggy View Post
    See thread, He installed a Hayden SwirlCool (ORiely). It looks comparable to the B&M 70266 cept the B&M is a blade cooler which has the low pressure drop feature/fad. Should be noted that his Dealer seemed to think the model B&M would restrict the flow (3/8") There is a 70266 which is a 1/2" line so i'm not sure how these compare. So I sense a change in thought coming. He did install a temp gauge see his link below.
    Why not go with the B&M 70274 rated at 29200 btu only 3 1/2" larger (11" x 11" x 1-1/2") and has 1/2" FNPT for connection flexibility. Just don't mount it with the connections facing downwards.

As far as restrictions from the 3/8" connections well that shouldn't be a problem because the factory piping in necked down to around a 3/8" pipe size before entering the radiator and when the fluid gets to the fitting it's further restricted by an orifice in the factory fluid cooler. Just don't add a lot of 90 degree bends or pinch the tubing or hose during installation. When in traffic and there's no air flow add a fan controlled by a thermostat for peace of mind.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.