seriously bad Vibrations when idle at stop light
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, seriously bad Vibrations when idle at stop light in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Has anyone found a fix to the cts vibration when in park or idled at a stop light but smoothes ...
    ctsbboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Has anyone found a fix to the cts vibration when in park or idled at a stop light but smoothes out once you start driving? I've read others with the same problem & dealers saying its normal. But I can't see how this much vibration is normal & acceptable especially for a Cadillac. IDC if its a sports car or not its ridiculous. If so please let me know how you fixed it so I can get rid of my annoying vibration. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

joshk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Re: seriously bad Vibrations when idle at stop light

i have not fixed mine yet but i have a theory and when i do get around to actually working on my caddy i will post what i find.

I have the 03 which is the 3.2, which needed the new pvc update, which it never got. When i changed my spark plugs hoping to remedy the shake I found the plugs coated in oil, which means the valve cover gaskets need to be replaced. So I am guessing that the oil on the plugs is enough to retard the spark enough to actually feel the vibration at idle and even worse when the heat/ac is on.

My car does not throw any misfire codes so i dont think its anything serious causing the shake, but i still have to wonder, if the oil is messing up the spark enough, why does it go away 100-200 rpm higher then idle? or why the hell cant they just raise the idle to begin with?

good luck going to a dealership, they act as if nothing is wrong and when asked to look up the computer reprogram to raise idle they find nothing, although other posters on this website said they had it done and it helped at least a little.

Thanks for replying josh. Yeah the Stealership acts like its normal & like they are oblivious to GM's own recommendations for consumers complaints about vibration problems. I read a couple of peoples threads who say they had work on their timing belts/chains & after picking it up from the dealer they got it back with the same kind of vibration problem. Which it didn't have before hand when they took it in. So I'm also wondering if it has something to do with the timing being off a tooth or so.. I'm going to replace my chain soon so if it fixes or helps ill respond back & let everyone know how it turned out.

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Have you checked motor mounts?

briggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles

not sure if this helps. I had the idle shake, no codes until I had a coil pack go out. I replaced it and guess what no more shake. This car should not shake tell the dealer to eat crow. you may want to look into a systemtic check if your coil packs, plugs, and injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsbboy View Post
    Has anyone found a fix to the cts vibration when in park or idled at a stop light but smoothes out once you start driving? I've read others with the same problem & dealers saying its normal. But I can't see how this much vibration is normal & acceptable especially for a Cadillac. IDC if its a sports car or not its ridiculous. If so please let me know how you fixed it so I can get rid of my annoying vibration. Thanks.

goshisanniichi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I started having the same problem recently. I recently replaced the right side valve cover because it was leaking (it's cheaper to buy the valve cover than the gasket and the valve cover comes with the gasket). The shaking is new, started after my replacement. It feels like it's occasionally miss-firing on one cylinder. The cause is likely to be oil leaking into the spark plug wells. I kind of worried that something like this might start up after replace the valve covers, because the gasket that goes around the coil pack [#2 in the image] is no longer available individually from GM, you have to buy the coil pack for about $90 for the gasket. For now, I'm going to attempt taking it apart over the weekend, drying up and cleaning out the burned/dried oil and putting a bit of RTV around the old gasket and hopefully that helps. If that doesn't work, I'll think about getting the gasket I need.

I should note that, in my case, in addition to the shudder going away at higher rpm's it also goes away after having driven it for while, this is because all the leaked oil gets burned off an no longer presents a problem.

If your goes away after driving for a while (around 30-minutes, for me) but comes back the next morning, especially after a cold night, you may have the same problem. In which case you should smell for burning oil and also keep an eye out for smoke rising out from under your hood. Maybe carry a fire extinguisher with you until it's fixed, just in case.

BK03145.gif

Edited to add the following: If you see smoke it's probably just the burning oil. Don't open your hood if all you see is smoke from the oil. If you have oil leaking onto you exhaust manifold, like I did before replacing my valve cover gasket. Opening your hood will introduce additional oxygen to the smoldering oil and potentially start a fire. So it's better to not open you hood unless a fire has already started in which case, there's not much anyone except the fire department can do anyway.

Thanks for the reply goshi! Ok ill check on that. Aye so does your car throw any codes Showin a misfire?

goshisanniichi is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I haven't check for a miss yet, but it's the feeling is very distinct. Almost as if someone were suddenly pushing the car from one side, and always the same side. Or maybe like you just got hit. Because the engine only rotates in one direction, it will always feel like it comes from the same side.

Edit: Just checked for codes. No code for a miss, yet. But remember that it does have to happen a minimum number of times within a certain period in order for it to set the code, this is intended to avoid false-positives, but unfortunately it increases the likelihood that it will completely ignore an intermittent misfire.

Oh ok.. well my vibration sounds different from that. It's a steady&constant vibration just like a strong electronic massager is in my seat,steering wheel,floor,ext. Other than the vibration it drives good,never stalled or shuddered. The vibration only shows up at a stop or when in park & disappears as soon as I start driving. When I turn on the A/C its more intense almost twice as strong. I'm thinking its either a bad boot engine or transmission, or my timing is off alil. But I will also check my spark plugs to see if any oil is on them & check the valves. I know I need to replace my timing chain because it has that rattle when I 1st start it. Well its most likely just the tensioner but ima replace everything. No sense just replacing one part when you have to practically tear the engine apart.lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.