NAV Update Completed!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, NAV Update Completed! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Ok, so my Service writer arranged for the Roadside Assistance guy to meet me at a local mall this morning ...
    MoonstoneMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

NAV Update Completed!

Ok, so my Service writer arranged for the Roadside Assistance guy to meet me at a local mall this morning to clear the theftlock from the new NAV unit. The unit powered up and showed me somewhere in CA (i'm in NJ). As soon as I drove about a foot, it updated to my exact location. I didn't have to do anything. Also, the speed sensor wire must have already been installed because I didn't hook it up (there was a wire there already) and it works fine!
    Here are some things I've noticed:
    Radio does indeed sound 100x better than the base!
    My Onstar works through the mirror, but the button on the steering wheel no longer activates the phone... it tries to activate voice recognition.
    When dialing through the Onstar Phone, the number does NOT show on the radio like it did on the other one.
    The 'drive while watching a DVD' trick does NOT work.
    Beaming my contacts from my iPaq worked w/o any additional software.

Unfortunately, my computer crashed and is still being loaded back to normal. Once I finish that, I'll post the pictures of the completed product.

It was a VERY easy project... especially if you don't need to go after that speed sensor wire. I did break my ashtray through and need to have it fixed (spring release tab popped off).

It feels like being in a totally different car with the NAV! I didn't realize how big a difference it really makes!!!!!

Thanks especially to TOMM for all the help!!! He made the install a million times easier for me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cvelo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: NAV Update Completed!

so, this works with the base stereo, non-bose ?

MoonstoneMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Yes it does!!!

CTS Fox is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i'm VERY excited to see the finished pics... hubby wants me to do it, but i've been apprehensive as i haven't seen finished pics of the swap out yet. thanx for the update...

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

The first time one starts up any GPS receiver, it takes a few minutes to get a fix (called a cold start). It needs to start cycling through satellites until it identifies four. After it sees the first one, it starts downloading the almanac which has the positions of all 28 GPS spacecraft. It takes three for a 2D fix and four for a 3D fix. Once the Nav calculates your position it stores it locally, so from then on you have a 'warm start' which gets your fix much quicker, since it knows which satellites to locate overhead. In the CTS, it is likely continually powered (the GPS receiver) which means it keeps track of your position continuously.

You shouldn't get any voice inputs or audio directions with the Nav unless you install the wiring for those functions. Miscreant is the only one to date to do this. I've got harnessing made, but need to get off my butt and identify terminals for the amp and the VIC (OnStar box) to complete.

So your VSS wire was already in the harness to the radio? Cool.

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Congrats! I am glad everything worked out with the mod. As for the question about what does it look like...

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...vert/fig11.jpg

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.