Cadillac Owners Forum banner

to rebuild or not to rebuild...

837 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  93DevilleUSMC 
#1 ·
i have a 2004 cadillac cts... this car was absolutely phenomenal! one night my parents asked to rush to NYC(40miles) from my house where my father and i work to bring my dad clothes cause of his job hours. i did it, on the way home i heard a loud pop and then a ton of white smoke under my car... i called my mother and asked what to do... she said try driving it home. take note this car had 213k MILES not kilos. i did so. it had a bad misfire and rod knock it sounded like. when i was almost home the entire car shut down on me.... when i tried startin it it would not start. i looked under the car to see it wet all under near... still unaware of what it was under there... i got it towed up state to my uncles garage. he told me the following morning he was able to start the car and drive it to the back of his shop... i was amazed.. i am still unaware if the motor is blown.. i want to say a rod broke... now im stuck with the problem... i love the car and dont want to let it go.... do i rebuild it or no? how much is it going to cost to rebuild the motor and the tranny as well(automatic) HELP

#2 · (Edited)
Well it depends. I don't know about the exact prices. But if your uncle has a shop why don't you ask him to shop around for you for a good deal on remanufactured engines and transmissions. If you really love that car, remans usually come with a pretty long worksmanship warranty some warranty the remanufactured engines for 3 years, If I were you and the price + labor feels right I would jump on something with a solid warranty behind it.

Otherwise I would consider giving the cheapest rebuild to get back in running condition without issues then sell it and get another CTS with much lower miles.'
Now with that in mind, if it really spun a rod bearning, you are starring at possible a new crankshaft perhaps a new piston, and who knows what else basically a lower engine rebuild will set you back about $3000 easy in labor and parts. However if your uncle likes you labor costs can go down quiet a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.