How do you change out the tweeters?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, How do you change out the tweeters? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I'm looking to change out the tweeters of the CTS. How do you guys take the covers off on the ...
    gnxv6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Angry How do you change out the tweeters?

I'm looking to change out the tweeters of the CTS. How do you guys take the covers off on the pillar? And what brand is good to replace with?

Thanks
    George

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tomm is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac CTS VSport

Re: How do you change out the tweeters?

Behind the airbag clip there is a screw which removes the pillar. Dont worry there is no airbag in the pillar. I replaced my tweeter with larger tweeters from my kicker components and there was a night and day difference. Since my tweeters were much larger it was not an easy installation and I had to make some modifications.

SdMarineGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I replaced the front tweeters with the tweeters that are part of the boston Acoustics Pro60 Component speakers. Be careful you dont tear the cloth behind the clip.

gui3 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by tomm
    I replaced my tweeter with larger tweeters from my kicker components and there was a night and day difference.
    you replaced the stock speakers with new components, but kept the stock wiring and amps, and heard a good difference?

Since the door speakers ar 2 ohm I only changed the tweeters so far since the tweeters are 4 ohm. There was a huge difference in clarity once I changed the tweeters. There are alot of things that I need to do before I change the rest of the speakers.

I still need to install the Bose Amp (Need this for my NAV upgrade) and also wanted to change the amp because the Bose Amp uses full frequency outputs to the door speakers (Non Bose has crossed over speaker outputs). I will be looking to get JL's clean sweep which will accept the high level inputs from the Bose amp and give me line level for the new amps.

Scott is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by tomm
    Since the door speakers ar 2 ohm I only changed the tweeters so far since the tweeters are 4 ohm. There was a huge difference in clarity once I changed the tweeters. There are alot of things that I need to do before I change the rest of the speakers.

I still need to install the Bose Amp (Need this for my NAV upgrade) and also wanted to change the amp because the Bose Amp uses full frequency outputs to the door speakers (Non Bose has crossed over speaker outputs). I will be looking to get JL's clean sweep which will accept the high level inputs from the Bose amp and give me line level for the new amps.
    I have a Bose system. I agree the new clean sweep should be great. More details on those 4 ohm tweeters. I know there isn't much I can do to upgrade the rear woofer, did replaing these pillar tweeter really make a big difference? What brand and cost?

I am not sure how good the Bose tweeters are but I can tell you that the Non-Bose tweeters were junk. When I replaced them the highs were much more defined and it sounded much better. I used Kicker compents that I took out of my last car when I sold it.

http://www.mobilcaraudio.com/catalog...2955/91799.htm

They are great sounding components and you can hit them with alot of power. In my last car I used a 150 x 4 amp for the components and they cranked. I only used them since I had them and I would not suggest them since they are really too big for the CTS pillars. I had to take the tweeters apart and made them fit with some big modifications.

As far as the subwoofer goes I plan on replacing it when I finally start the stereo upgrade (A few months away) and replacing it with 2 Kicker Subs and a 1200 Watt amp.

Thanks for the replies.

I was also wondering if you guys know if I should get a tweeter with a built in crossover or does the stock amp prevent the lows going through? What size are the stock tweeters?

Thanks again.

dqw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I looked at my tweeters yesterday, the cover popped out without tearing up anything but mine are 2 ohm! I also have a non-Bose radioc in an '05 CTS. My factory Sub is also 2 ohm. Does anyone know the spec's for all of the factory speakers and the head unit? The tweeters look like they'll be easy to change out but I hate to take it to a shop and have them do it. I'd also like to change out the Sub but I don't want to add an amp yet. Any suggestions on what will fit? I'll change out the doors last and if I don't see a decent improvement after changing the sub and tweeters I'll add an amp but for now I want to make sure the piece's I add now can be used for a future upgrade.

Also, has anyone dealt with Tweeters, the company that sells home AV and does car installs?

Scott is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Can anybody tell me how good the Bose tweeters are or are they the same as non-bose?

Easy to trade out? I know there are a lot of issues in trading out the rear sub-woofer, so I'm not going to bother with that. But I will trade out the tweeters if their not a problem.

bpackard is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I tried going to Tweeters with my system upgrade in an '04 SRX. They wanted to charge me $1,600 for the installation alone! Granted I was doing the following:

Seperates in the front
    Coaxial in the rear
    12 inch Sub
    Custom Box for Sub
    2 Amps
    Custom Mount for Amps
    Dinamat four doors and rear hatch

If they were not going to charge me as much, I would have used them because they seemed competent. However, I can only vouch for the one I went to and from a pre-installation point of view.

Good Luck

bpackard is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by SdMarineGuy
    I replaced the front tweeters with the tweeters that are part of the boston Acoustics Pro60 Component speakers. Be careful you dont tear the cloth behind the clip.
    Did you also replace the speakers in all 4 doors and use an amp to power them? Add a sub with an amp? If so, did you run accross any problems with the installation and is everything working the same as before the upgrade?

dqw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

bpackard, I went to Tweeters Friday and was going to get a Pioneer NAV installed. The installer reccomended against installing the Nav in the top part of the console bc something would block the unit from sliding in. The second suggestion was modifying the top part of the console but that was non-starter bc it would make a bulge on the dash. Putting it in the ashtray location may distratc me when i drive and the shifter is in the way.They were honest in suggesting that I go with a factory Nav bc it would be much cheaper than what they would charge so i give them credit for be straight up about the price.
    By the time we got around to talking about upgrading the factory stereo, we found that would'nt be too cheap either. I guess the game plan is to replace the tweeters and sub in the back myself, hope it improves and with luck, find a factory Nav system.

SdMarineGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bpackard
    Did you also replace the speakers in all 4 doors and use an amp to power them? Add a sub with an amp? If so, did you run accross any problems with the installation and is everything working the same as before the upgrade?
    I replace the doors speakers on ALL 4 foors and have a Box in the trunk for the subs with 2 12" JlAudio 12W3v2. I am using 3 amps to power my system 1 amp powers the front components another amp powers the rear components and another mono block amp powers my subs. I didnt run into any problems whatsoever since I basically ran my system independent from the stock system. My head unit has Output for 3 RCA's So I ran 1 for the fronts another for the rears and another for the subs. I ran a 0 guage power wire to my capacitor which has outputs to connect 3 amps and ran 4 guage wire to all 3 amps the ground is also grabbed from the capacitor since the capacitor is grounded with a 0 guage wire also. you can see pictures of my sounds here.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/sdmarineguy

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.