Ignition cylinder stuck
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Ignition cylinder stuck in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hi, I was trying to remove my ignition cylinder on my '07 CTS so I could take the top and ...
    bhodge is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

Ignition cylinder stuck

Hi,

I was trying to remove my ignition cylinder on my '07 CTS so I could take the top and bottom steering wheel covers off to replace a bad TS switch. I was following this process:

"Disconnect the negative battery cable. Turn the ignition switch to the START position. Insert the awl into the lower steering column trim cover access hole. Press in the release button using the awl. Release the ignition switch to the RUN position. Remove the ignition lock cylinder."

However, while doing this after pressing the release button using an awl, I removed pressure from the button before releasing the ignition cylinder. As a result the ignition cylinder moved past start and is now stuck. If the release button is not pushed, I cannot rotate the ignition at all, clockwise or counter. If I push the release button, it pops out, maybe 1/4" to 1/2" at the most and only allows me to rotate clockwise about a quarter turn but does not allow me to pull out the cylinder.

So now I'm at point where I can't get the key out and the ignition cylinder is stuck in a position slightly past start so I can't even start the car. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my cylinder back in its proper position? I am about to rip off the bottom cover so I can get access to the switch but not even sure what to do after that. I would think that this might be a semi-regular issue as I could see it easily happening so hopefully there is an easy fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

bhodge is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

Re: Ignition cylinder stuck

I was able to fix this but had to take apart the entire steering wheel column to do so. I will post the process which will include changing out wipers and TS switch as well since they are all accessible during the process. Not difficult if you have the right tools and know where to look but will be a bit time consuming.

smelcher is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Have the same problem but can't find your post. New to this website.
    Any help will be appreciated.

bubba1228 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.