'03 CTS won't start, crank, or turn over -- CPS or starter?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, '03 CTS won't start, crank, or turn over -- CPS or starter? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have an '03 CTS with 119k miles on it. Suddenly today it won't start. I turn the key, I ...
    jimsimm1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

'03 CTS won't start, crank, or turn over -- CPS or starter?

I have an '03 CTS with 119k miles on it. Suddenly today it won't start. I turn the key, I can hear a relay or two clicking, some whirling and buzzing sound in the engine but nothing else. Battery shows 12.4 volts, lights etc are working. I do have two codes that are related to the crankshaft position sensor: P0335 and P0341 but I have gotten these intermittently for the past year. And I've read here that if it doesn't even crank, it's not the CPS. Makes sense to me. But since that starter really doesn't look too fun to get at to replace, I want to eliminate other possibilities first.

By the way, it looks like I have to remove the Cat to get to the starter -- are those bolts very difficult to get at and get off? I imagine they can be seized up pretty good with all the heat.

thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

Re: '03 CTS won't start, crank, or turn over -- CPS or starter?

When my CPS failed, it would crank (starter would turn the engine over) but would not start. I did have a couple of instances where the car did nothing (during the time the CPS was failing, before I changed it), but 95%+ of the time, it would simply crank and not start.

I also ended up changing the cam position sensor. I had recurring CPS codes (even with a new CPS) until I changed the timing belt and cam sensor. Since then, no codes (for that, anyway). If you're hearing a click-whirr, it very well may be the starter. Spray Liquid Wrench on the exhaust manifold bolts on Friday night, take it apart Saturday morning. Should come apart just fine.

tonysilva530 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Did you fail to mention the size engine in your CTS?

I recently replaced the starter on a v6 CTS. These are the tools I used:

13mm wrench
    15mm socket with short extension on a ratchet.

For the CTS V6 that I was working on needed the starter replaced. There were 2 possible types of starters that could've fit this particular car. One of them is called "anti-rotation" ....whatever that means. But it costs about $100 MORE than the other one.I thought I was going to have to remove the cat converter or a motor mount, but I didn't. If you unclip and move the stiff wire hrness to near the side of the starter, it will come right out. Super easy.

Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

Quote Originally Posted by tonysilva530 View Post
    Did you fail to mention the size engine in your CTS?

I recently replaced the starter on a v6 CTS. These are the tools I used:

13mm wrench
    15mm socket with short extension on a ratchet.

For the CTS V6 that I was working on needed the starter replaced. There were 2 possible types of starters that could've fit this particular car. One of them is called "anti-rotation" ....whatever that means. But it costs about $100 MORE than the other one.I thought I was going to have to remove the cat converter or a motor mount, but I didn't. If you unclip and move the stiff wire hrness to near the side of the starter, it will come right out. Super easy.
    2003 CTS only came with 3.2L not the same as the rest of V6s

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.