Need to take out the alternator on my 07 2.8 CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Need to take out the alternator on my 07 2.8 CTS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hey all, I've scoured the FAQs and site looking for some info on removing the alternator from my 07 2.8, ...
    jgclark is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 2.8L

Need to take out the alternator on my 07 2.8 CTS

Hey all, I've scoured the FAQs and site looking for some info on removing the alternator from my 07 2.8, so apologies if I missed anything;

It seems like everything I've seen applies to the 3.2 in the '03 or the 5.7 in the V. Are there any step by steps anywhere or any advice on taking it out? Like another poster, the worst I've had to do in the past involved easy access with top mounted type- I've seen everything here from having to remove the radiator to raising the engine block. I'm just a guy with ramps, average tools and a weekend coming up I'll need to use. Thanks for any tips or advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jgclark is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 2.8L

Re: Need to take out the alternator on my 07 2.8 CTS

Update: So, luckily after being told by one mechanic it was the alternator, I took it to another who diagnosed the issue as the starter. The car started up fine about five times during the day, then as he was checking the system voltage running and not running, the car did it's click on first ignition turn, then no click on second, then started on third. Diagnosed as a bad starter. I can't find any info on how hard the starter is to replace if I want to DIY. Has anyone had any experience with dropping the starter on the 2.8?

tonysilva530 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

For future reference, I just did a write up on replacing an alternator on a 2.8L. Look it up and it may be helpful. I will be doing starter replacement soon ... and will do a write up on that as well.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

Quote Originally Posted by jgclark View Post
    Update: So, luckily after being told by one mechanic it was the alternator, I took it to another who diagnosed the issue as the starter. The car started up fine about five times during the day, then as he was checking the system voltage running and not running, the car did it's click on first ignition turn, then no click on second, then started on third. Diagnosed as a bad starter. I can't find any info on how hard the starter is to replace if I want to DIY. Has anyone had any experience with dropping the starter on the 2.8?
    There is a great thread on the board to replace starter, looks easy on ramps. Driver side under car, 1-2 hour job. Go to search punch in replace starter. I think it is a 3.6 but it is the same for the 2.8.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.