Calipers and pads
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AAIIIC
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Calipers and pads in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have a 2007 CTS, 3.6L with about 106K miles. I need to replace the calipers and wanted some advice ...
    kalamarca is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

Calipers and pads

I have a 2007 CTS, 3.6L with about 106K miles. I need to replace the calipers and wanted some advice on which brand to buy. My service codes are FE2 and JL9. I use the car for commuting to work on highway and local roads. My local shop wants to charge $150 each for calipers. I've seen them cheaper and am tempted to buy them myself and have him put them on. Suggestions for calipers and pads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Calipers and pads

Why do you need to replace the calipers? Do you mean rotors?
    Argent1 likes this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

assuming you mean rotors, acdelco pro durastop rotors and pads will do, get the part # off of acdelcos catalog and then purchase on amazon. pads and rotors for the whole car should be no more than $300 shipped to your door.

I was told that one of the hydraulic pistons on the caliper is not functioning causing uneven wear on the rotors.

Rockauto.com would be you're best bet to find the different selections. If k were you I would try to find the same oem one, probably remanufactured. I want to say that acdelco or akebono was the OEM supplier for the calipers. There should be a part # on the caliper itself. Can use gmpartsdirect or gmpartseast to get OEM parts new

And I would only replace the one that is giving you a problem, but would do a complete fluid flush at all corners

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Agreed that you only need to replace the caliper that has a stuck piston; a remanufactured caliper from RockAuto.com or your local parts chain should do the trick just fine.

I also agree with checking pricing on RockAuto.com for rotors and pads. I like the Centric rotors, and I use the Centric/Stoptech Street Performance pads. Honestly, for a daily driver, just about anything should work out fine. You could go to the local parts chain and get their lifetime warranty pads and probably be perfectly happy.

Last but not least, if you filled in your location, you might find someone near you who would be willing to help you do the brakes. It's really not very hard, and would save you a couple hundred bucks in labor.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

My location is 18966. Why does everyone say to only replace the one that is stuck? I would just as soon replace both front calipers. Is that an issue? Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by kalamarca View Post
    My location is 18966. Why does everyone say to only replace the one that is stuck? I would just as soon replace both front calipers. Is that an issue? Thanks to all.
    Because a caliper going bad at 106k miles isn't normal, I wouldn't expect another one to fail anytime soon. Replacing both won't hurt, but for 150 a caliper(with labor?), I'm not so sure you're getting OEM quality parts.

Its an easy job, just need a buddy to bleed the brakes with you. Its you're call to replace one or both, but only one is necessary as long as you replace with the same part

ztollon is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    ^ Very true. Just make sure the guide pins on side you dont replace get well lubricated. Id test the caliper to just to make sure its stuck because uneven rotors wont affect really cause the piston to seize. They could just have said it seized from heat. Only other way is a guide pin seized not allowing the caliper to slide in and out affecting only the inside pad pushing the piston to its length limit eventually pushing it completly out of the bore. Our cars are extremly easy. 2x 13mm guide pins and 2x 15mm caliper bolts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.