Whirring Sound Front Left????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Whirring Sound Front Left???? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; When I'm going over 40 and make a slight turn to the left(lane change) I here a whirring/rubbing sound coming ...
    simkofab is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Whirring Sound Front Left????

When I'm going over 40 and make a slight turn to the left(lane change) I here a whirring/rubbing sound coming from
    the left front wheel. The car runs fine still. Also this morning after starting it was whining. 45 degrees outside. Both the engine and steering.The sounds went away after warming up. I don't recall this before until it was much colder. Should I be concerned?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Re: Whirring Sound Front Left????

As far as the rubbing/whirring sound idk but the whining noise could possibly be your power steering pump pulley. I had this issue for a long time in the cold months. Sprayed some wd-40 on the back of all the pulleys when I replaced both belts. Issue wen't away.

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Hub bearing? But usually if you turn left and it makes a noise, then it's the right hub bearing, and turn right it's the left front one.

Jack the car up, and spin the front wheels by hand. If there is a problem then you should be able to feel the difference.

Usually like 150 in parts and 1.5 hrs labor

MrCatch is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Mine makes a slight rubbing sound when turning slight right and it feels like it's coming from front driver side. I'll be looking into this hub bearing. Glad I stumbled upon this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by simkofab View Post
    When I'm going over 40 and make a slight turn to the left(lane change) I here a whirring/rubbing sound coming from
    the left front wheel. The car runs fine still. Also this morning after starting it was whining. 45 degrees outside. Both the engine and steering.The sounds went away after warming up. I don't recall this before until it was much colder. Should I be concerned?
    Hello simkofab,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with your CTS making a whirring or rubbing sound. I see that you have gotten some great advice from the community members here, but if you are concerned and are thinking about taking your vehicle to the dealership, I would be more than happy to assist you in working with them to look into this concern. Please private message me if you would like to further discuss your concern. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by MrCatch View Post
    Mine makes a slight rubbing sound when turning slight right and it feels like it's coming from front driver side. I'll be looking into this hub bearing. Glad I stumbled upon this.
    Hello MrCatch,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing a slight rubbing sound when you are turning right. Please feel free to private message me or send me an email to socialmedia@gm.com if you will be taking your vehicle to a dealership and would like any assistance working with them to look into this concern. If you send an email, please be sure to include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so that it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

A bad wheel bearing will typically make a rhythmic wah-wah-wah-wah-wah noise that gets faster (and possibly louder) as the car speeds up. You may not hear it at lower speeds. If you're on an open stretch of road, and going fast enough that you can hear the noise, try smoothly weaving back and forth - you'll hear the noise change as you change the load on the bearing from one direction to the other. You can see that a bit in this video (and I'm sure there are others on youtube, I just looked for a short one.)

Unless the wheel bearing is really, really bad, jacking each corner up and spinning the wheel generally won't tell you anything. However, if you jack each corner up, then grab the tire at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock and try to rock it. If it moves at all, that's bad. Here's an example video of a bad bearing.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Jim's 06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I vote for wheel bearing. They can make just about any sound (or none at all) when they go bad. My daughter's Saturn made a noise like the old playing-card-in-the-spokes noise seemingly from the front of the car, and it turned out to be a rear wheel bearing

Regalgs98s is offline Cadillac Owners Member

+1 on the wheel bearing. I thought that just from the title and pretty sure from reading through. As it was said, I'd check to see if the pitch changes at higher speeds also.

Jaxle67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts
    I replaced my driverside front wheellbeairng assembly on my 04. it never did make any kind of nose that i could hear. It did however had a rumbling feeling that you could feel thru the steering wheel. I jacked up the wheel and grabbed the tire at 6 and 12 position and wiggled. I had atleast an inch of movement so i immediately put a new hub assembly on that side and a couple weeks after replaced the passenger aside as well. I agree most of the time you will hear a roaring noise but not always. Its easy enough just to jack it up to check out ever so often even if there are no clues that a bearing maybe on the way out. Jesse

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.