2007 3.6L CTS Custom Exhaust
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2007 3.6L CTS Custom Exhaust in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello, So my account is new to the board but I'm not. I've been browsing stuff on here for the ...
    JayDohn07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 3.6L CTS - 6 speed(Volant SRI, Borla Cat-back Exhaust)

2007 3.6L CTS Custom Exhaust

Hello,

So my account is new to the board but I'm not. I've been browsing stuff on here for the past few months.
    About a year ago I bought a 2007 3.6l cts and it does indeed have a 6 speed. What a fun little car, I can't get enough of it.

But, it makes NO noise out the back...2" piping, a huge resonator and huge mufflers...I can't deal with it. Don't get me wrong I like the whole sleeper idea, but I want this thing to make some sorta noise. I watched the video from this topic Here but doing all my reading, I've found more people perfer the V exhaust over anything else. And that seems like the way I wanna go. But I've got questions

Starting with the V exhaust mod: I read you can't just bolt it on, you've gotta use an adapter right before the resonator to fit the exhaust on? Or should that be before the cats?

Performance wise: If I just pipe out the resonator (which I will) will that affect the performance any? I'm honestly not looking for power increase, just a little bit of sound. sSould I replace the resonator with something instead of just deleting it? Say an X-pipe?

And finally: Am I going to need to tune it after it's all done?

I'm really looking forward to answers here, I'm anxious to get moving on this finally.

Thanks a lot to whoever takes the time to answer,
    John

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Ive been piecing my exhaust together for over a year now. If u cut off the resonator and put in a crossover in and leave everything else it WILL SOUND LIKE A HONDA those stupid giant mufflers dont like it all. Trust me i got so much sh#@ for it that I went out and slapped sum flowmasters on. But on a serious note you could try straight piping it to the mufflers idk how that would sound, but it couldn't be worse than a res delete hpipe/xpipe. If u want it louder u could just throw some mufflers on the v exhaust keep the res and it wont be too much louder. But no tune is needed. Could do a cia or silencer delete to get more sound too.

Re: 2007 3.6L CTS Custom Exhaust

Thanks for the reply, you probably saved me from a regretful decision. Yea that's the LAST thing I want it to sound like.

What I really want is to have the setup from that forum I linked to but from what I saw there isn't enough room to fit the in/out muffler down where his diagram shows. But it seems there's enough room to replace the resonator with it though. I wish he was still active so I could ask him. I can't make up my mind.

John

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Ok, here is a set up you may not have seen. Best sounding one I have seen other than the V exhaust. If you like it let me know and I will tell you what it is. Not gonna waste time typing if you don't like it.

http://youtu.be/gMWlNAc4oEY

Yea this is the one I was talking about I LOVE how that sounds...
    I just wish he had a picture underneath it and not just that diagram he drew. I was looking to do that setup myself, but I was a tad confused on all the piping I would need, ect... That's why I was going to go with v exhaust over this. But if I can have some more light shed onto that setup I would love to do it

You need to go 2.25" exhaust. Go off the factory cats, to the H-pipe then to the dual in dual out muffler and then straight pipes all the way back to the tips. It is very straight forward. I have all the part numbers at home if you need them. I can get them to you tonight.

Sure! If you could that'd be great. Ill be waiting.
    Should I be doing full 2.25" piping from the cats back?

The other thing I was thinking was just keeping the pipes on it and just straight piping through the mufflers. I'm not sure though it would be great to have some others with exhaust setups on their 3.6's come here. To sorta combine all the threads and different setups.

If you beep the stock resonator and go straight pipes back it will sound like shit. That's the whole point of going with the dual in and out muffler. That's what gives it the sound. The H-pipe gives it that lower throaty sound. X-pipes work too but are more raspy than the H-pipe. The stock exhaust is 2". Going up to the 2.25" gives a little less restriction and the bigger pipes helps to get the lower sound. I was too busy last night, so I will get ya the part number tonight. The H-pipe and the muffler should run you about$150. It's. Pretty cheap set up for the good sound you get. The video of that was from a former member who tried all sorts of combos with that yielding the best results.

In his setup he claims its an x-pipe. So I'm wondering if the H pipe is going to make it sound deeper.
    Thanks again, I'll be waitin'.
    The only thing I'm hung up on is placement of the H-pipe and In/Out muffler. To me it seems like there is absoloutly no room under the car to be able to put the in out muffler without letting it hang low. If you had a diagram or a picture even that would be perfect.

Thanks a lot.

So, considering the prices that the shop told me, I'm going to go with V-Exhaust instead. Is there any final things I should know before I go ahead and buy it w/ Tips for 150$?

Force_Recon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Black CTS 3.6 / 2012 Black CTS 3.6 Premium

Blayne,
    If it isn't too much to ask for not only for me but for the benefit of other forum members, would you please post the part numbers for the cat back h-pipe and muffler setup?

I've seen the YouTube video posted above and I have to admit that it sounds nice and i was considering replicating that same setup for my car until i came across this posting and noticed you referencing an h-pipe. I'm looking for a similar setup as in the YouTube video but would prefer an h-pipe to get a nicer deeper tone.

Thanks!

Sergioc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayne
    You need to go 2.25" exhaust. Go off the factory cats, to the H-pipe then to the dual in dual out muffler and then straight pipes all the way back to the tips. It is very straight forward. I have all the part numbers at home if you need them. I can get them to you tonight.
    Blayne,

If you wouldn't mind putting the part numbers as I would like to do this setup now that my car is in the shop for a guy slamming into my car from the back and will be having to replace exhaust.

So, after all this time I thought I'd update this thread.

Very long story short, I ended up buying Borla exhaust at 53% off on amazon on Christmas eve and saved almost $700 plus free 2-day shipping I installed it at the same time as my friend put Pypes Exhaust on his v6 charger with 2.5" exhaust. I was very disappointed in the difference in how loud they were. I do understand that its a half in. bigger than my exhaust but still, I wanted louder, but not TOO loud.

Performance gains: I would say there was some increase top end as once I raced my friend I started pulling ahead.
    Sound: Not much louder than stock, just deeper and not as raspy. No drone though. Also there was a noticeable crackle on deceleration (which I love)
    Price: Yikes, if I wasn't getting (I think) a 53% discount it would have been almost $1500. But, thanks to amazon, it was 800 something.

Now after driving it through this damn winter that never ended and finally putting my windows down, I decided it wasn't loud enough. One day I decided to pull off just the mufflers and leave the resonator just to see how it sounded. And oh my god. I was instantly in love. Even at start up, it was just so much deeper. All I did was drive it up the block and the second I let off the throttle in 1st at 4k it crackled and popped like crazy. I couldn't believe the change in sound. And since then I have had a shop custom make pipes for it so it extends out the back again. (as apposed to just dumping axle back without mufflers)

Performance: no difference really, at least nothing noticeable. Even if it was a couple horsepower loss, I don't care, the sound is worth it.
    Sound: Amazing, to me at least. The low rpms sound deep (ive been asked if it was a V 3 times lol), crackling once letting off the throttle is orgasmic and pulling near the redline gives it a euro/350z/infinity/ v6 tone to it.
    Price: Nothing to pull off the mufflers, but $240 for getting custom axle back exhaust welded+ hangers.

Overall, I should have just bought a borla resonator and chopped my mufflers and saved about $500 but my loss is your gain. Best part is once I carefully cut the welds and grind them down smooth, I can just bolt my old mufflers back on and interchange them all I want. I just haven't found a reason to put the other mufflers back on and do all that work.

I will post video of both as soon as my phone decides to start working with my computer again

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.