Whats up with my CTS?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 3.2CTS
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Whats up with my CTS? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I just drove my 2004 CTS from Winston-Salem NC to Oklahoma City OK. it has 126800 when I left and ...
    cfanfan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Allante & 2004 CTS

Whats up with my CTS?

I just drove my 2004 CTS from Winston-Salem NC to Oklahoma City OK. it has 126800 when I left and 129126 when I returned. I ran her 70-75 all the way there and back in a 7 day period. she used 6 qt of Mobil 5w-30 oil and got 26 to 27.5 MPG. she ran GREAT so what do I do about my oil. I think I have a major problem

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

3.2CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS, 2013 CTS

Re: Whats up with my CTS?

6 qts of oil in what? 2300 miles? Yes, you definitely have a problem. 1) Check for leaks...I'd park it over clean cardboard, or something similar to clearly identify any leak(s). 2) Check to see if it's burning oil. If it's burning that much oil, it will smoke like a sono***un! Get someone to drive behind you and observe when you accelerate, particularly takes-offs from a stop, and downshifting when passing at speed. In any case, it needs to go to the shop!
    Ikera likes this.

Jaxle67 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts
    If its leaking that much Its going to be an oily mess under there off its burning that much you certainly should see that in the exhaust like was said it needs a shop visit

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k

It's probably all in the intake...Take off your intake duct and look in there, my bet is it's coated.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Quote Originally Posted by cfanfan View Post
    I just drove my 2004 CTS from Winston-Salem NC to Oklahoma City OK. it has 126800 when I left and 129126 when I returned. I ran her 70-75 all the way there and back in a 7 day period. she used 6 qt of Mobil 5w-30 oil and got 26 to 27.5 MPG. she ran GREAT so what do I do about my oil. I think I have a major problem
    Did you check your oil before you left? You might of already been low on oil to begin with. Just a thought but if you don't have a leak anywhere and it's not in your intake, i'd say she was just running low when you first embarked on your journey. I don't think the 3.2's suffers the same oil consumption issues as the 2.8 and 3.6.

it is a 3.6, I never ever let her get below the middle dot on the dip stick. she was full when we started and there are No Oil Puddles under my car. I let my wife drive it while I followed her n her Ford Focus.....She dusted me when we got on the freeway I could barley keep up.. there was no smoke However the tail pipes are oily. I have ordered an RX Catch Can do you think that will help?

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 126k
    Nope, the oil still leaves the crank case, just collects in the catch can.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by cfanfan View Post
    it is a 3.6, I never ever let her get below the middle dot on the dip stick. she was full when we started and there are No Oil Puddles under my car. I let my wife drive it while I followed her n her Ford Focus.....She dusted me when we got on the freeway I could barley keep up.. there was no smoke However the tail pipes are oily. I have ordered an RX Catch Can do you think that will help?
    Make sure you do the drill mod, and yes, if the oil residue has gummed up the ringlands to the point that they are sticking, then there is a good chance the RX can will help them free up after you have stopped the ingestion. I would do a seafoam or similar upper induction treatment after the can is installed.

If the valve guides have wore to far from the intake valve coking on the stem, then it will need a upper end rebuild. But this is an inexpensive fix to try.

As the gunk from the oil ingestion builds up in the ringlands, and on the piston sides, this prevents the rings from sealing properly and oil consumption takes a big jump.

Let me know if you need help or need more explanation on all of the issue caused by the oil ingestion.
    RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

Thank you, I was told by RX that I should have my catch can by next week. once I install it I will check in again. as for me I'm off to wall mart for another gal of Mobil 1
    Carmelo

SC2150 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

In most cases once you stop the oil ingestion the ringlands do clean up some allowing the rings to seat again (but not always) so you may be OK....expect 2-3k miles to do so. Try an upper induction cleaning as well to speed things along after installing the can.

RX Performance Products/RevXtreme.com 941-721-1826

Hi there me again, I received my catch can, went to home depot to get a fitting for the drain and about 6 - 10 people asked where I got the cool coffee cup! (very nice indeed!)I have a 2004 3.6 which has an inlet on either side of the IM. I installed the catch can on the passenger side valve cover breather to the center input on the catch can and the output from the catch can to the hose feeding the IM inlet. While looking around I looked into the drivers side valve cover breather and found some oil residue. I followed the line into a box between the air filter and the TB. I looked inside the box and found around 1-2 oz of oil! not sure what to do now. I have a 2004 3.6 LY-7 how do I do the drill mod? also what is the seafoam upper induction treatment? I was thinking of disconnecting the out put of the catch can and spraying card/choke cleaner into the tube to help breakdown and clean out the induction system? Any ideas you may have will be welcomed. Thank you for your time and help.

hYp3niTis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Sent from my SCH-I605

Okie Dokie!!!! here is an update on my Oil houdini trick. installed a new RX catch-can in 27 OCT 2013 129941 miles Changed oil & filter as well, Did the sea foam cleaning, did the drill mod, at first oil in catch can was very black, now oil from catch can is a grey with layers of yellowish liquid. to a trip to NY Jan 5 - 13, 2014 and used 4 qts of oil car still runs great 26 to 28 MPG but the oil keeps disappearing: I have been changing the oil every 4,000 miles, which equals about 3 gals of mobil ! at $26 per gal. My mileage is at 136667 today last oil change was at 134241 just finish adding the last of a gal of mobil one. any ideas out there?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.