Over the radiator intake?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Over the radiator intake? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; MACE Engineering makes an OTR intake for the LY7/Alloytec. Link: http://www.maceengineering.com.au/ep...roducts/CAI624 Think it would fit under the hood of our ...
    DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

Over the radiator intake?

MACE Engineering makes an OTR intake for the LY7/Alloytec. Link:
    http://www.maceengineering.com.au/ep...roducts/CAI624
    Think it would fit under the hood of our CTS's?

I am thinking that this, and some creative trimming of the hood (like cutting out the entire chrome mustache and using hood pins), would make for a very effective ram-air intake. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Re: Over the radiator intake?

might be worth it for someone that didn't get the volant, but for someone that has the volant already like me? I'd rather throw that $600 on something else in the car to improve performance......i.e a tune perhaps or some other hardware mod. plus benefits of a ramair style intake can only be felt at high speeds perhaps over 70-80 mph IIRC, so not necessarily worth the effort for those that have a volant already, the $400 price difference plus the extra work it takes already makes it not worth it.

Now would taking some hood ramair intake grills and placing them on a CTS with that intake be cool sure would love to see it, but again too much cost an work. Can you perhaps use a cheaper alternative? How about something from a Grand Prix with RamAir intake?

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Vararam makes a lot of cold air kits like that even one for the v6 camaro
    I know a lot of the fastest cars at the track here are using them or similar designs.
    Also had a similar designed kit on my 2000 Firebird called a Super sucker ram air.

CTS-QC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6L V6 RWD Performance

Quote Originally Posted by CTSM View Post
    might be worth it for someone that didn't get the volant, but for someone that has the volant already like me? I'd rather throw that $600 on something else in the car to improve performance......i.e a tune perhaps or some other hardware mod. plus benefits of a ramair style intake can only be felt at high speeds perhaps over 70-80 mph IIRC, so not necessarily worth the effort for those that have a volant already, the $400 price difference plus the extra work it takes already makes it not worth it.

Now would taking some hood ramair intake grills and placing them on a CTS with that intake be cool sure would love to see it, but again too much cost an work. Can you perhaps use a cheaper alternative? How about something from a Grand Prix with RamAir intake?
    Maybe one of these hoods could be modified to fit:
    http://www.extremecomposites.com/cadillac.html

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

Yeah, I already have the Volant as well. I am just wondering about true ram-air intake ideas. I know the benefits are only really noticeable at higher speeds.

But that never stops anyone from putting ridiculous spoilers on their cars. Hell, the fact that most cars with those stupid fins are front wheel drive never seems to bother anyone either.

The Extreme Composite hood could probably be modified to work with about anything. Those hoods are really nice. Too bad SpectreWerks doesnt exist anymore. Their heat xtractor hood was by far the best out their for our cars.

But, back to the ram-air intake topic at hand, I am thinking that one from any other car that had true ram-air induction could probably be modified to fit for a lot cheaper than the MACE intake, yes. Especially considering there is no saying that the MACE intake would fit over our radiator or under our hood and may require modifications itself.

I did just get a new job at a sheetmetal forming shop. I could probably design an airbox that mounts on top of the radiator support and seals against the bottom of the hood. Mount the MAFS to the airbox directly in front of the throttle body, and place a universal hood scoop directly above it. And I could probably do so for a lot cheaper than the MACE intake. I might do that. I certainly know my way around CAD, and I will be both on the computer in the CAD office and out in the shop at my new job, so why not? I will keep you posted... I dont start there until the 14th.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.