this car is drving me crazy
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AAIIIC
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, this car is drving me crazy in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; OK to start at the top. I was having hard shifts and took it to the shop. He told me ...
    Mindyray is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS

this car is drving me crazy

OK to start at the top. I was having hard shifts and took it to the shop. He told me that it was my throttle body. Got that replaced. (I replaced it from a wrecked cts) but it worked for almost a year. Then my car wouldn't start in the mornings so they told me that the fuel pump was going out so got that replaced in July. Along with another throttle body cuz they told me that was going bad again also.( huge bill$$$) that was a Monday. I picked the car up and that night started it at the shop and had the check engine light on. I checked the codes and it had code p0036 and p0141 and p0700. Went back the next morning and they said it was the bad 02 sensor 2.. I have not fixed that yet because I decided to start fixing my car myself. I went on a road trip to WI and the car ran great for the 800 miles then one day I went to the store up in WI and the car shut down on the hwy. took it to a shop up there and they only could see the codes listed above. But then the car started to revves so high it was in the red. The shop did not know what to do. I got home check the forum and did the re learn for the throttle body. The car ran ok but keeps "reduce engine power". I had the shop at home check it when I got back to town and they told me it was the Mass air flow sensor. I replaced that myself. Then I read it could be the crank shaft position sensor so I replaced that. I now have the codes. p2135 p2176 p0221 p0700 p0036 p0141 I believe they were all current. my service air bag just popped on the other day so now they is b3832 b2470 b0065 all current also. I have disconnected my battery to try to reset my system and when I do that my seat moves now when I open the door, my locks do not unlock and my pass side mirror is now moving when I put it in reverse which is kind of cool.( I didnt know it did that)
    the way my car is acting right now is.... it did not want to start it took 4 times and then the engine felt shaky then it reduce power, as the car was still running I cleared my codes the car reduced power 5 miles later and then shut off. I cleared the codes again. and the car is running rough hard shifts and it feels like the car could stop running any minute also when I push the gas it feels like the car doesn't really have much power.
    Sorry for long story just trying to cover all my bases.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Re: this car is drving me crazy

Have you bothered checking your transmission at all? P0700 is related to the transmission control module. Seeing as how the initial problem started with hard shifting, I would have your transmission looked at as well as all your oxygen sensors as they will cause your car to run really rough if one of them is bad. Not only that but what kind of maintenance schedule do you keep your car on? When was the last time you had your transmission serviced? How often do you change your oil? How many miles does your car have?

Anyways here is what I found in regards to the codes.

P0221 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit Range/Performance Problem
    P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction
    P0036 Heated Oxygen Sensor Control Circuit B1S2
    P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

It could also be your Engine Control Unit going out but normally people have issues with their key getting locked in the ignition. Also I know if you leave your battery unplugged long enough, it completely resets everything. Hence why your seats move when you open your door and your passenger side mirror points to the curb when you put your car in reverse. All of this can be found by editing the settings on your dashboard information center. I would also recommend taking some time to read your owners manual. It will provide you with a lot of good information.

I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see what they say i will let you know. but i thought the code p0700 was for the engine light. I am just starting to learn how to fix things on this car. but just today I reduced power 2 times and died 2 times. I did look at the trottle body wires( i untaped them) and one of the orange things that connect the wires together is a tad melted. hopefully that is part of the problem. also my o2 sensor needs replaced i think.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

(1) The ECU isn't going to trigger "Reduced Engine Power" and/or actually shut off the engine unless it sees something this is really wrong. Continually reseting the ECU and driving the car again, without addressing the root cause, is just asking for big problems. Stop driving the car until you get it properly diagnosed and fixed.

(2) As DopeEffect said, the seat and mirror movements are part of the Personalization features. The Owner's Manual will walk you through how to change them (and other features, like which doors unlock when you turn the car off, whether the horn beeps when you unlock with the key fob, etc etc).

(3) While most folks refer to the instrument cluster having a "Check Engine Light" (CEL), it really indicates more than just engine problems. It is also refered to as a MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light/Lamp), which is probably a more accurate name, since there are DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) that aren't engine related that can trigger the MIL (like the P0700 code you saw).

I'm a big fan of working on my cars myself to the maximum extent possible, but when you start to get into multiple problems that are probably sensor or computer related, and may or may not be related to each other, sometimes you just have to go to the guys that have the factory diagnostic tools. Try not to "shotgun" parts at the car - replacing the crank position sensor because the internet says it might be the issue isn't the right way to go about things. If you do take the car to a shop, have them show you how they determined that Part X (throttle body, MAF sensor, coil pack, wheel bearing, whatever) is the problem so that you can be sure that replacing Part X is actually going to fix the problem.
    DopeEffect likes this.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

took the car to the shop and they said the throttle body was bad so got it replaced but still having problems. runs great then down shifts hard then reduce power again

Like today i drove it to work and ran great but when i get in to go home will probably be different but i hope not.

I do appreciate the advice you all have given, so thank you.

mattt0305 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum

Its trying to prevent transmission damage (that p0700)my grand Cherokee did the same thing but they call it limp home mode lol.

When i took the car to the dealer they told me the tech tool told them i had a bad throttle body but why is my car still like this? This morning my car would not turn over i thought oh no i left the lights on or something. then i tried again and it started with no problem. i checked the codes and p1629h showed up what could this mean. is that something to do with theft protection or something?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.