05 CTS 3.6 Liter 67,000 miles hesitation while accelerating.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 05 CTS 3.6 Liter 67,000 miles hesitation while accelerating. in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello, I'm new to this forum so excuse me for my ignorance on the issue. I need some advice on ...
    dlarus6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): mephisto4@me.com

05 CTS 3.6 Liter 67,000 miles hesitation while accelerating.

Hello, I'm new to this forum so excuse me for my ignorance on the issue. I need some advice on a problem with my CTS. My engine light started blinking as I accelerated to faster speeds then after about 4 days the check engine light stayed on. I'm assuming that the light staying on means that it registered the problem within the computer. Not sure if thats correct but I work on home computers for a living so I know the basics. Don't know if I need a full tune up as I don't want to replace coils, plugs filter etc. if I can pinpoint the problem in buying just say plugs or coils or filter. My question is I guess, is it possible to pinpoint what coil is the problem without replacing all 6 or can it be plugs causing the problem I don't want to get ripped off. I got my car scanned and the computer read "backfire" twice and they wanted $350 for a tune up. I thought that may be kinda overpriced. I thought the term "tune" up wasn't used anymore but them again don't really know much about cars. I want to go the least expensive route if possible Thank you in advance!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Thyine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

Re: 05 CTS 3.6 Liter 67,000 miles hesitation while accelerating.

At that mileage you need new plugs. You can switch the coils between cylinders to see if the codes switch cylinders with it, then you know if its the coil or the plug, what codes did you get exactly? The numbers would help a lot, they would read something like "PO123 misfire cylinder 4" etc. Its most likely dirty spark plugs. You will have to remove the upper intake plenum to access all the spark plugs and replace the gasket underneath while its off. spark plugs cost about $7 a piece get the iridium ones, gasket $10, coils are around $70 ea if you need them. I would definitely change all the plugs and swap the offending coil/s all at once the first time.

956Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Cts Black Raven
    I had that problem at 150000' I did that spark plug change myself took about an hour an a half considering that im 16 and not experienced like others. But for me it was definitely the plugs, when I took them out like there wasnt even a tip anymore. Replaced them and ran like a champ. Very smoother and no hesitation

I didn't check the codes out the mechanic did and just said you need a tune up so I will buy the plugs you recommend and try doing it myself I'm assuming they come gaped already? from 1 to 10...10 being the hardest how hard is DYI-ing?

Thyine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

its not a hard job just take your time, follow this http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ug-change.html
    they come pre gapped get a spark plug socket and extension while your at the store and some anti seize lubricant to put on the threads of the new plugs and only tighten them down a 1/4 turn past hand tight

Thank you for your help! If I were to take it to a mechanic how much should I expect to pay? I'd rather a professional do it.

Y3E
    Y3E is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Was 2005 CTS Sport - Dark Metallic Grey

My dealership in Canada wanted $500+. What a rip. There's also some Youtube video instructions you can watch. It looks like the hardest one is the near the firewall, where the cabin filter is.

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 135k

If you provide the parts I can't see a shop charging more than 2-3 hours of labor, and that's being generous. They may raise the labor rates if you supply your own parts though as they aren't making any money on their parts mark up...
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

Jhayzhone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Custom 2007 cts
    I have the same problem. I checked the code and it shows p0300 and p0301 which means i have engine missfire in cylinder1. I just change my spark plugs 3 months ago and everything seems very good, but this morning when i start my car CEL is on. Im going to check my plugs tomorrow and give you some updates.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.