Passenger airbag sensor replacement DIY-able?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kingoftypos
  • 1 Post By Sammy Z
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Passenger airbag sensor replacement DIY-able? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hi all, I've got a 2007 CTS 2.8 just out of the special warranty replacement mileage for the passenger airbag ...
    jgclark is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 2.8L

Passenger airbag sensor replacement DIY-able?

Hi all, I've got a 2007 CTS 2.8 just out of the special warranty replacement mileage for the passenger airbag sensor (I'm at nearly 125k.) The sensor is stuck in the off position (doesn't see anyone in the seat), the "service airbag" message is on the DIC and the airbag light is on, "passenger airbag off" light is on...

So, my question is can I purchase the sensor and replace it myself? At the moment I really can't afford the supposed near $1000 for the dealer to replace it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: Passenger airbag sensor replacement DIY-able?

I thought that was a recall, not a special warranty replacement.

KOT
    Argent1 likes this.

Sammy Z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS 03

I would try and re-seat the yellow connector under the seat. Turn the car off and remove the key, unplug the connector and plug it in again. sometimes that works for me.
    CTSjones likes this.

jgclark is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 2.8L

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    I thought that was a recall, not a special warranty replacement.

KOT
    I never got a recall notice. I asked my dealer about it and was told that the replacement had been done already. I bought it used in 2010, so that is possible, and I suppose the same problem could happen again if the sensor design wasn't changed in light of the defect?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Z View Post
    I would try and re-seat the yellow connector under the seat. Turn the car off and remove the key, unplug the connector and plug it in again. sometimes that works for me.
    Sammy, I'll give that a try- I've got the inspection sticker due at the end of the month and I assume it won't pass with the airbag light on.

----------

Okay, I just got off the phone with Cadillac Customer Service and was told the recall doesn't apply to my VIN. Grrrrr.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by jgclark View Post
    Hi all, I've got a 2007 CTS 2.8 just out of the special warranty replacement mileage for the passenger airbag sensor (I'm at nearly 125k.) The sensor is stuck in the off position (doesn't see anyone in the seat), the "service airbag" message is on the DIC and the airbag light is on, "passenger airbag off" light is on...

So, my question is can I purchase the sensor and replace it myself? At the moment I really can't afford the supposed near $1000 for the dealer to replace it.
    Hello jgclark,

I am sorry you are experiencing an issue with your passenger airbag sensor. I understand how this is a costly repair, being out of warranty. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation and look into this for you. Please private message me and include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and the name and location of the dealer you worked with.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Quote Originally Posted by jgclark View Post
    I never got a recall notice. I asked my dealer about it and was told that the replacement had been done already. I bought it used in 2010, so that is possible, and I suppose the same problem could happen again if the sensor design wasn't changed in light of the defect?

----------

Sammy, I'll give that a try- I've got the inspection sticker due at the end of the month and I assume it won't pass with the airbag light on.

----------

Okay, I just got off the phone with Cadillac Customer Service and was told the recall doesn't apply to my VIN. Grrrrr.
    Here's the recall notice from http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2007/...c/cts/recalls/

Recall ID # 69320 - AIR BAGS:FRONTAL:SENSOR/CONTROL MODULE Hide Details
    Recall Date:
    DEC 17, 2010
    Model Affected:
    2007 Cadillac CTS
    Summary:
    GENERAL MOTORS IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2005-2007 CADILLAC CTS VEHICLES. SOME OF THESE VEHICLES HAVE A CONDITION IN WHICH REPEATED FLEXING OF THE PASSENGER SENSING SYSTEM MAT IN THE FRONT PASSENGER SEAT MAY CAUSE THE MAT TO KINK, BEND, OR FOLD. THIS FLEXING CAN BREAK THE CONNECTIONS IN THE MAT. IF THIS OCCURS, THE SENSOR MAY NOT DETECT THE PRESENCE OF A FRONT SEAT PASSENGER AND WILL DISABLE THE AIR BAG.
    Consequences:
    NON-DEPLOYMENT OF THE FRONT PASSENGER AIR BAG IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH NECESSITATING THAT AIR BAG'S DEPLOYMENT MAY REDUCE PROTECTION OF THE PASSENGER AND INCREASE THE RISK OR SEVERITY OF INJURY TO THEM.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE PASSENGER SENSING SYSTEM FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT MARCH 15, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CADILLAC AT 1-866-982-2339, CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, GMC AT 1-866-996-9463 AND AT THE OWNER CENTER AT WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.
    Potential Units Affected:
    Notes:
    GENERAL MOTORS LLC

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2007/...#ixzz2glrJdDY5

Also check on GM's website for recalls/warranty stuff... https://my.cadillac.com/web/portal/_warrantyandrecalls

KOT

malibubarby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

This actually is happening to my 2003 cts right now. The dealership wants $600 to fix it, but I already have to shell out $2700 to fix my radiator that is leaking and my crankshaft balancer seal with my timing belt. I would think this issue is a safety concern and should be covered, but i guess it is not for the older models. For now I just tell my passengers to sit in the back, just for precaution until I can save up the money to fix that issue. Kind of scary knowing that if you get in an accident, it won't deploy.
    -Barbara M.

----------

This actually is happening to my 2003 cts right now. The dealership wants $600 to fix it, but I already have to shell out $2700 to fix my radiator that is leaking and my crankshaft balancer seal with my timing belt. I would think this issue is a safety concern and should be covered, but i guess it is not for the older models. For now I just tell my passengers to sit in the back, just for precaution until I can save up the money to fix that issue. Kind of scary knowing that if you get in an accident, it won't deploy.
    -Barbara M.

Matt4949 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS 3.6 Black
    If your dealer is trying to charge you for a recall...

They're robbing you.

Brandon06CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

If I had the recall fix done a few years back when my CTS exhibited the same issue, is there only a one year warranty on the replacement part? My passenger seat sensor took a dump again and this time the Cadillac dealership I took it to informed there that there were no open recalls for the vehicle and I ended up shelling out almost $600 with parts and labor. I'm just looking to get insight if the "one year warranty" applied to a recall replacement part as well. Thanks guys!

MrTwobit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD Sedan

"Sometimes"? You've had to do it more than once?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.