Hard shift out of park in gear, and strongly felt downshifts
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Hard shift out of park in gear, and strongly felt downshifts in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; okay, so ive searched a bit, and the answers i found in those threads were motor and trans mounts. both ...
    arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

Hard shift out of park in gear, and strongly felt downshifts

okay, so ive searched a bit, and the answers i found in those threads were motor and trans mounts. both of which ive replaced.

When i shift into drive or reverse, whether from park or neutral, it is an extremely firm shift, and the car physically moves. I also think the downshifts when coming to a stop are strong also.

2004 CTS 3.6 155k miles. new motor mounts and trans mount.

Any other ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTS-QC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6L V6 RWD Performance

Re: Hard shift out of park in gear, and strongly felt downshifts

How many rpms does it idle at? Just asking because you didn't mention that. Is it idling too fast?

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-QC View Post
    How many rpms does it idle at? Just asking because you didn't mention that. Is it idling too fast?
    I didn't notice a difference there so im assuming its normal. I'll get you a # tomorrow

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

When was the last time the fluid was changed? I'm not an auto tranny guy, but from what I've gathered over the years, lots of auto trans issues are resolved by a fluid change.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    When was the last time the fluid was changed? I'm not an auto tranny guy, but from what I've gathered over the years, lots of auto trans issues are resolved by a fluid change.
    Never. The dealer actually told us that by doing so we would end up creating more problems than solutions and that we wouldn't like how it felt afterwards. The guy at AAMCO said the same thing, that its not worth just doing fluid on that trans

krusty_tc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury Sport

Mine did the hard shifting after a difficult time starting the engine. Happened to me twice. I disconnected the battery for approximately 2 hours before reconnecting it. And make sure you do the gas pedal relearn before starting the engine. This worked for me both times. Doesn't hurt to try.

praprestoabi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by krusty_tc View Post
    Mine did the hard shifting after a difficult time starting the engine. Happened to me twice. I disconnected the battery for approximately 2 hours before reconnecting it. And make sure you do the gas pedal relearn before starting the engine. This worked for me both times. Doesn't hurt to try.
    Gas pedal Re-Learn?

krusty_tc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury Sport

Throttle re learn process.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by arw1510 View Post
    Never. The dealer actually told us that by doing so we would end up creating more problems than solutions and that we wouldn't like how it felt afterwards. The guy at AAMCO said the same thing, that its not worth just doing fluid on that trans
    So what's their suggestion? Live with it until the transmission dies? Have they done any diagnostics on it? Hard shifts can be caused by all sorts of things, and the FSM specifies a diagnostic procedure the dealer can go through with the Tech2 and test the various solenoids and communication paths.

There's a fluid and filter change procedure in the FSM for a reason. There's a 50,000mi service interval for it in the Owner's Manual. There are plenty of people on this forum who have changed their fluid. I don't understand why you would be advised that changing the fluid would make things worse.

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Only time I've ever heard anything close to that is when a transmission has gone so long without a fluid change that flushing it will destroy the trans. This happened to my 4L60E. Flushed it, a few days later tranny was dead. A simple drain and refill probably would of kept it alive. But yea that was only for flushing a trans, not changing the fluid. Changing the fluid should do no damage to your trans unless something else is wrong with it.

ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    The trans itself wont die. Fluid that has been neglected can carry clutch particles which act like a friction modifier. This fluid is removed w a flush. Now how long you have before your trans goes out is hard to say. It could happen as your leaving the shop that you had the work done at, or a month later.

----------

Rule of thumb at my shop. If its over 125k w/o ever having a trans flush then we wont touch it.

I'm not so sure its trans though. The downshifts maybe. But with the shift to park and reverse, the trans engages and then the whole car tries to move. All up shifts care smooth. Idle is fine. Idk. Next amex cycle I suppose I'm stuck bringing it into the dealer

Leects07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 cts sport/luxury pkg

My car started doing this last night 37k miles hard down shifts not so much when moving from park but the up shifts are firm and the down shifts are real strong ....also before all this started I jumped into my car and tried to crank it first to try's nothing then it cranked Got home disconnected battery overnight ..gonna re connect here in a sec and see what happens

----------

Edit from my last post ..reconnected the battery turned key to on position could here the throttle motor flapping and I guess learning its parameters .. Let it sit for about two minutes took it for a drive and it's down shifting smoothly again and acting normal ...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.