05 CTS 3.6L exhaust
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 05 CTS 3.6L exhaust in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hi all, New to the board, just bought a 05 3.6L CTS w/Calif CTS pkg and sport pkg. So far ...
    John&Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

05 CTS 3.6L exhaust

Hi all,
    New to the board, just bought a 05 3.6L CTS w/Calif CTS pkg and sport pkg. So far (3300 miles), great car and fun to drive. I am thinking of installing an aftermarket cat-back system. So far narrowed it down to either Magnaflow or Corsa. I would lkike to hear the difference, only found one site for magnaflow that had a sound file. I would be interested in hearing about others who have modified thier cars exhaust or any other mods like the K&N flter setup that they say gets an extra 14 hp, or a supercharger. Thanks in advance for any info

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

Re: 05 CTS 3.6L exhaust

First of all, welcome to the forum.

I don't know that magnaflow makes a cat-back for the CTS (it's new if they do), although they list one for the V8 powered CTS-V. I believe PJ had magnaflow mufflers custom fit to his CTS. Your options for new exhaust are Corsa (GM approved), Borla (highly recommended), and B&B (Billy Boat Engineering is a supporting vendor). Be aware that replacing your current duals with an aftermarket dual setup will not give you that much of a power increase (maybe 5-10hp?). This would be mainly for sound.

As far as intakes, the K&N has been reported to be very loud. Volant makes a nice intake (airbox/filter) replacement, or (several of us are very big proponents of this) the TonyA airbox mods (do a search on Fram AirHog). This is basically modifying your existing airbox, and adapting a Fram AirHog gauze filter from an Oldsmobile minivan (K&N also has an equivalent panel filter). Total cost is about $45 for the same performance increase (claimed to be ~10-15 for the Volant). Some aren't comfortable cutting up parts on a brand new car, and I respect that (I did mine at two weeks old). The Volant is your best bet for this.

Incidentally, Tony is a member of another forum who came up with the mods. He's recently jointed this forum too.

pjohnesq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by John&Sandy
    Hi all,
    New to the board, just bought a 05 3.6L CTS w/Calif CTS pkg and sport pkg. So far (3300 miles), great car and fun to drive. I am thinking of installing an aftermarket cat-back system. So far narrowed it down to either Magnaflow or Corsa. I would lkike to hear the difference, only found one site for magnaflow that had a sound file. I would be interested in hearing about others who have modified thier cars exhaust or any other mods like the K&N flter setup that they say gets an extra 14 hp, or a supercharger. Thanks in advance for any info
    Welcome to the board...I have a 3.6 with the Volant Air Intake and Magnaflow Exhaust....I had Reed of Cadillacfaq.com post a sound clip of my CTS...maybe that is the one you already heard. but here is the link anyway....3.6 L with Magnaflow

SdMarineGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Thumbs up Re: 05 CTS 3.6L exhaust

Hey PJ that sounds nice. Did you get custom Magnaflow parts to do that exhaust or is there a kit that Magnaflow makes? How much did it run you without labor?

Quote Originally Posted by SdMarineGuy
    Hey PJ that sounds nice. Did you get custom Magnaflow parts to do that exhaust or is there a kit that Magnaflow makes? How much did it run you without labor?
    No kit per se...a little custom work..$550 - parts, labor and installation at my dealer, Nabers Cadillac in Costa Mesa....Ask for Sal Garcia...You are in Southern Cali, right? BTW, I got your message on cardomain...send me a private message or email me at pjohnesq@aol.com if you got more questions.

$550 with Parts and Labor? Not bad do you know what and what they replaced? and if they welded the whole thing? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SdMarineGuy
    $550 with Parts and Labor? Not bad do you know what and what they replaced? and if they welded the whole thing? Thanks
    Don't know what they cut or replaced.... the accessory dudes at my dealer that did the mod said it was a regular magnaflow cat back system, twin pipes, Y at the very end, with dual exhaust tips (Silverline) - or something to that effect...For more specific details call Nabers Cadillac at 800-945-5592 ask for the accessory department and speak with the accessory manager Sal Garcia.

Thanks I talked to Sal and am gonna get it done. I am going to go with the CTS-V Tips Though see how that works out. Last question I forgot to ask Sal did they use 2.5" pipe? Thanks Again.

John&Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

WOW, thanks for the quick replies, yes the Dynomax sounds great and is about 1/2 the price the dealor in S.D. is quoting me. Just wondering the differrence in sound of Dynomax and Corsa.

Aurora5000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 Blackberry 2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded

Corsa will be quiter.

jbl16 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have the corsa on my 3.2L and I love the sound

CadyEngineer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

FYI -Regarding exhaust this not is for every one who owns a 3.6L engine better known by GM as a LY7 engine and transmission configurations. High Heat can cause your Catalytic Converter Substrates or better known as "BRICKS" to crack. This has not been a recall issue but will uncertainly add to the noise variations when you drive.

Quote Originally Posted by CadyEngineer
    FYI -Regarding exhaust this not is for every one who owns a 3.6L engine better known by GM as a LY7 engine and transmission configurations. High Heat can cause your Catalytic Converter Substrates or better known as "BRICKS" to crack. This has not been a recall issue but will uncertainly add to the noise variations when you drive.
    So are you saying we should NOT be adding cat back exhaust systems to the CTS 3.6L? Hope I haven't done anything to ruin my cat conv.

I dont think chaging your exhaust will affect your cat converters because your exhaust goes AFTER your cat converters.

I went to Nabers Cadillac to install the Volant and the Magnaflow exhaust today. Well what they do is Charge you the $550 and take it to Mesa Mufflers down the street from the dealer and have them do it. Before they installed it I went to the muffler shop where Sal took my car and asked the installers what size pipe they would use and I was shocked to hear that all they WERE going to do is replace the mufflers and put tips leaving the stock 2" pipe. I kinda knew it was took good to be true to get a magnaflow catback system $550 so I didnt get the work done I will get a Corsa exhaust and pay the extra $500 or hopefully Borla will make a Catback system for the 3.6L because I dont think they have one now. These are the mufflers Nabers Cadillac uses model #11225

http://shop.ivalueinternet.com/bigex...ct_id/1318.htm

and puts no name brand tips Mufflers are $59.92 each and tip they use are no brand tips so basically Nabers is pocketing around $300 to drive your car 4 blocks down the road to Mesa Mufflers. The guy at mesa mufflers said he charges around $50 for labor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.