05 CTS 3.6L exhaust - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 05 CTS 3.6L exhaust in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; The mufflers look exactly the same as best I can recall. All the parts fit and work fine. The only ...
    MLV
    MLV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, Maggied '05 CTS-V, '07 STS-V

Re: 05 CTS 3.6L exhaust

The mufflers look exactly the same as best I can recall. All the parts fit and work fine. The only thing that had to be fabricated was an adapter to make the 2 1/2" pipes connect to the 2" CTS pipes. The exhaust shop needs to be careful if they cut the pipes in the same manner as mine were done, so the length is correct (I'm sure that is obvious to an experienced exhaust guy). Cutting them behind the sensors on the CTS pipes eliminates the problem of having to install the sensors into the CTS-V pipes and possibly messing up their function. If you use a good exhaust shop, they should have no problems.

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

I pick the CTS-V exhaust system up this Friday morning. The guy dropped the price to $25 and offered to help me install it. He owns a Rod Shop and could do the welding. He offered to do that for free! What a nice guy!. He didn't have the 2 to 2 1/2" adaptors so I declined. I hope to get it to a muffler shop Saturday and discuss installation. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Doug, the guy who's selling me the exhaust, has access to another if anybody's interested let me know and I'll give you his e-mail address.

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

If you pull the remaining ~2' long stubs (after you cut off the stock exhaust) mounted downstream of the cats, you may be able to expand the ends to 2 1/4". This would be about right to insert into the inside of the 2.5" V pipes for a smooth 2-step transition without adapters. I've never expanded stainless, so I don't know if/how far it can be done. It's done with mild steel exhausts all the time.

Something to discuss with the exhaust installer.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus
    If you pull the remaining ~2' long stubs (after you cut off the stock exhaust) mounted downstream of the cats, you may be able to expand the ends to 2 1/4". This would be about right to insert into the inside of the 2.5" V pipes for a smooth 2-step transition without adapters. I've never expanded stainless, so I don't know if/how far it can be done. It's done with mild steel exhausts all the time.
    Something to discuss with the exhaust installer.
    Ody,
    Just got back with my CTS-V exhaust. The guy tells me the exhaust is aluminized steel. So maybe your idea will have merit. Thanks.

The V guy I bought my exhaust is always experimenting. He has Shop to do this. He cut open his mufflers and resonator open and sleeved them. So it looks stock but is really a straight thru system. Crap, that has got to be loud!!

Ilyesha is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

i received the below email from Borla. They do have a system for the 3.6 CTS. You can't find it on their website the last I looked.

We do have a system for the 2004 CTS 3.6L. It is part number 140032. For more details check out www.borla.com.

Thanks
    Don Cozza
    Technical Support Manager
    Borla Performance Industries
    (805) 986-8600 x217
    (877) GO-BORLA (462-6752)
    donc@borla.com

[QUOTE=Ilyesha]i received the below email from Borla. They do have a system for the 3.6 CTS. You can't find it on their website the last I looked.
    We do have a system for the 2004 CTS 3.6L. It is part number 140032. For more details check out www.borla.com.

The Borla is a sweet system. As you know not cheap by any means. It would be my 2nd choice. I love the price of my CTS-V $30 exhaust. It's 2 1/2" vs the Borla 2" and the CTS-V exhaust has knock out style tips. Best of all I have an extra $1000 in my pocket for another upgrade.

SdMarineGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS
    The Borla is a sweet system. As you know not cheap by any means. It would be my 2nd choice. I love the price of my CTS-V $30 exhaust. It's 2 1/2" vs the Borla 2" and the CTS-V exhaust has knock out style tips. Best of all I have an extra $1000 in my pocket for another upgrade.
    All catback aftermarket exhaust systems for the 3.6L are 2.5" not 2" and as for not finding it on their site it is here

http://www.borla.com/products/produc...rod_sku=140032

Quote Originally Posted by SdMarineGuy
    All catback aftermarket exhaust systems for the 3.6L are 2.5" not 2" and as for not finding it on their site it is here
    So how do they get from 2" to 2 1/2" It bolts to the 2" OEM cat flange. What's on the other after market flange? Should be a smooth transition. hows it done?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbed Stealth
    Good afternoon!
    I found a V exhaust sytem in my area, can you give me some details on your install.... I'm going to take my magnaflow mufflers off of my car and install them on the V exhaust.....
    What is gained by replacing with the V exaust rather than just having a muffler shop do them custom?
    Stealth,
    You will be able to move the exhaust gases out a bit quicker with the 2 1/2" pipes. The resonators and the mufflers are also 2 1/2". I was told the baffling in the CTS-V is less restrictive. The main points are some improvement should be the result. It's about $1000 cheaper and it still sounds like a CADILLAC.
    I understand the hangers are the same. Just behind the 3.6 exhaust sensor you need to step up to a 2 1/2 expansion or adaptor. MLV who installed it says there is a slight change in the exhaust tone and performance. I'm hoping it will compliment my Tony A Ram-Air intake

pjohnesq is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbed Stealth
    Good afternoon!
    I found a V exhaust sytem in my area, can you give me some details on your install.... I'm going to take my magnaflow mufflers off of my car and install them on the V exhaust.....

What is gained by replacing with the V exaust rather than just having a muffler shop do them custom?
    If he has another one, let me know...

Quote Originally Posted by pjohnesq
    If he has another one, let me know...
    Anybody interested in this mod should do what I did. Go to the CTS-V forum and tell them you're looking for a V exhaust in your area. I got about a 1/2 dozen replies. Tip- The exhaust is one piece and heavy, plus it's very long. When I put it in my van I had the front up on the dash and the tips were against the back doors.

slow35th is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

If someone in the Houston area wants to do this contact me at lancemoreland@houston.rr.com I've got one I'll sell.

Lance

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.