Drive Shaft repair and Front Lower Control Arm Bushings
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DopeEffect
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Drive Shaft repair and Front Lower Control Arm Bushings in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; One of the few, out of many repairs my CTS needs badly is replacement of the driveshaft flex discs, trans ...
    DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Drive Shaft repair and Front Lower Control Arm Bushings

One of the few, out of many repairs my CTS needs badly is replacement of the driveshaft flex discs, trans mount, and lower control arm bushings.

The flex discs are from creative steel. I went with those over the ones produced by revshift simply because those seem way to hardcore for a cts. I mean come on, their solid aluminum flex discs with polyurethane around the pilot holes for the driveshaft/trans or whatever you call them.

Not only that but unless you shimmy the transmount, you get really bad vibration. Not saying the revshift flex discs are trash, they just aren't for me.

With that said I did of course buy the transmission reinforcement block from them as well as the front lower control arm bushings.

My question is really just about the front lower control arm bushings so sorry for dragging it out this long I just know you guys like the suspense. Anyways, all the parts arrived this afternoon and I'm hoping I can drop the car off tomorrow morning and pick it up wednesday afternoon. So with that said, here is a link to the pictures: http://imgur.com/a/bCP4Q.

For starters where the **** do the front lower control arm bushings go and are the ends supposed to pop off on the smaller bushings or did they just arrive broken?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I also plan to keep all the old parts so I will take pictures of my old trans mount, flex discs, and if there's anything left, the front lower control arm bushings for science. My car has 112K miles and I baby it as much as possible so it'll be a good reference point for anyone who hasn't had any of those parts replaced yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Drive Shaft repair and Front Lower Control Arm Bushings

Went ahead and dropped it off this morning. Should know before lunch how much it'll cost to install everything. Might be able to pick it up today depending on how busy they are so if I do, I'll have pictures of the old parts up here tonight. Again, any knowledge on the front lower control arms and the bushings associated with them will be helpful.

Revshift is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

The bushings are supposed to come apart, they are not broken. Tell your mechanic to follow the instructions and to disassemble all the pieces of the bushings and lube them with the supplied lube.

I didn't get any instructions with my FLCA bushings. With that said the tech who I always book at my dealership is more than capable of figuring it out I just wanted to make sure the bushings we supposed to come like that. I also mentioned to the service tech that the supplied lube must be used on the bushings for them to perform properly. I told them to call me if they have any issues with the parts so I will PM you if I hear back from them regarding the parts.

Update: Got my car back today, drives like a dream. My car no longer jerks forward when it upshifts or downshifts around the 40 mph mark. As promised here are pictures of my old flex discs, front lower control arm bushings, and my trans mount. Flex discs are hard as bricks and the rubber is cracking all near the pilot holes. Trans mount looks much shorter in height compared to the new trans mount so my tranny was definitely saggin and my front lower control arm bushings look pretty malformed.
    Ikera likes this.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello DopeEffect,

I am glad to see that the repair went well and that your CTS is driving great now! Thanks for keeping us updated!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.