Replaced Flex Discs and Center Support Bearing on drive shaft, now has horrible noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Replaced Flex Discs and Center Support Bearing on drive shaft, now has horrible noise in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So I did my research once I found out my drive shaft was in need of some repairs. Found the ...
    BossLady is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L 5 spd Manual-Black Beauty

Replaced Flex Discs and Center Support Bearing on drive shaft, now has horrible noise

So I did my research once I found out my drive shaft was in need of some repairs. Found the highly recommended flex discs from Revshift for my 2004 3.2L manual CTS, and decided to have the center support bearing replaced at the same time. Only $500 with labor after ordering the parts myself. Vibration is gone for the most part and it rides pretty smooth. My issue is when I first start the car up after it's been sitting overnight or for a few hours, there's this horrible noise coming from the drive shaft, but then after a little driving it goes away. My theory is the flex discs are making this noise because the polyurethane used is so much harder than the original part. My question is, is this normal? Will the noise stop all together after they have worn in? Or is there something else going on. I'm going to attach a video so you can hear the noise I'm talking about.

http://videobam.com/JDtgG

After I noticed this issue the next day, I took it back to the shop and they took a look and said everything looked fine and that the flex disc lined up pretty perfectly when they installed it, so are these mechanics idiots or is there really nothing wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hrpatel17926 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS, 2007 ESV
    It sounds like a heat shield check the cat sheilds and the one above the center bearing support. Notice as you move the drive shaft spins possibly touching the sheild. Worth a shot?

Good luck.
    Planktron likes this.

joartstewey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS LS Auto.

Re: Replaced Flex Discs and Center Support Bearing on drive shaft, now has horrible n

I had the same issue with RevShift, had the parts installed by two different mechanics. Still much worse than when it started. Tried to contact the company. of course no refunds but they said they would exchange for a new flexdiscs annnnnd that was maybe in March of 2013. No reply, no return call or email, they took back thier faulty flex discs and my money. Just a heads up for anyone else planning on doing business with this vendor... I would highly recommend against it. Shame on you RevShift...

Re: Replaced Flex Discs and Center Support Bearing on drive shaft, now has horrible n

Quote Originally Posted by joartstewey View Post
    I had the same issue with RevShift, had the parts installed by two different mechanics. Still much worse than when it started. Tried to contact the company. of course no refunds but they said they would exchange for a new flexdiscs annnnnd that was maybe in March of 2013. No reply, no return call or email, they took back thier faulty flex discs and my money. Just a heads up for anyone else planning on doing business with this vendor... I would highly recommend against it. Shame on you RevShift...
    Hmm I had some issues doing business with them as well. I ordered the parts and never received a confirmation e-mail with my tracking number until I e-mailed, called, AND posted on their facebook when they finally got back to me about 2 weeks later. It took over 3 weeks to get the parts, they blamed in on their Labor Day sale and that's why they were so busy. But I expected more from Revshift, never received a phone call back after I left a message, like I said only until I posted my unhappiness on their FB did someone e-mail me (not even call). So, joarts, you returned the flex discs and they never returned your money? Did you find a solution to your problem? My CTS acts a lot better, no vibrations, just when I first start it, it has that loud squeaky noise.

joartstewey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS LS Auto.

Unfortunately I have not come up with a resolve for my issue with the company. No retuen of parts or cash. I feel that their unresponsible business practices will catch up with them in the long run. I am so swamped between work and school that I have not gotten around to calling the Better Business Bureau or filing a civil suit against them. But best beleive.... Either way my CTS is riding better since I attempted to change to the REVshit parts and would not even think of putting any of they're parts on my car after the back and fourth ordeals that I've had with them. Bad Business if you ask me.

So what was your solution to the bad driveshaft if you didn't use the revshift parts? I'm taking mine into the mechanic tomorrow, he also said it sounds like a heat shield (crossing fingers thats it)

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Quote Originally Posted by joartstewey View Post
    Unfortunately I have not come up with a resolve for my issue with the company. No retuen of parts or cash. I feel that their unresponsible business practices will catch up with them in the long run. I am so swamped between work and school that I have not gotten around to calling the Better Business Bureau or filing a civil suit against them. But best beleive.... Either way my CTS is riding better since I attempted to change to the REVshit parts and would not even think of putting any of they're parts on my car after the back and fourth ordeals that I've had with them. Bad Business if you ask me.
    The better business bureau is a joke. It's a service people/shops pay for. When you file a complaint with the BBB, they simply send that complaint to the shop in question. They can't force them to do anything. They simply act as a middle man between the customer and the shop. Nothing else.

----------

when you installed the revshift flex discs, did you have the transmount shimmied? in other words did you weld a shelf onto the frame to raise the transmount even higher? It's needed for the RevShift flex discs to work properly.

Revshift is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Whoa whoa whoa!

If you have an issue CALL US! If we don't answer then LEAVE A DETAILED MESSAGE! We will call you back. You can also email us. Joartstewey, I have no idea who you are or what the situation is. I can assure you that if we owe you parts or a refund and you didn't get either then there must have been a mixup. If you contact us we should be able to figure it out and correct the issue. Just clearly communicate with us directly, please.

Okay so it's not the heat shield. The mechanic found the following part, which is part of the drive shaft, and it looks like it got messed up with the previous bad flex discs and support bearing. The shop said the Cadillac dealership calls it a "locator" bushing...which doesn't help in searching for this part. Does anyone know where I could find this part? The mechanic decided to see how it does without the part in it, and the horrible noise is now gone, I just have a little more vibration in the shifter. Of course the drive shaft is only sold as one piece, which is $500 used or $1000 new. If the part can come off, there must be a way to put on a new one! On this part it says "Unidrive UD-32-138 A103"

DSC05261.JPG DSC05262.JPG DSC05263.png

RCVW is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): "Angel Dust" 2004 White Diamond CTS 3.6L-V
    To make a looooooong story short, I had issues with my driveline after a random freak accident where both of my rear wheels flew off while on an on ramp...weeks later my trans went.Replaced that...then had vibrations that increased gradually over some time. I had a faint to low ticking sound while rolling that me and three shops though was a heat shield touching. I replaced both oem flex discs which were slightly cracked in some places with Creative Steel Inc discs...still had the ticking sound. Realized my center bearing support's rubber was going as well...ordered that via eBay....dropped the shaft and swapped it out....still had the sound. I ended up doing a bunch of research here and online in general about drive shafts and realized with my new/used trans the shaft should have been re-balanced and that could have been part of the issue all together...nonetheless my vehicle is an '04 and has about 117,500 on the clock and I sourced a seller on eBay from Lakewood, NJ (Im in NYC) that sells remanufactured and already balanced oem shafts for our cars for 250+ shipping...comes with slightly used oem center bearing support AND oem flex discs/guidos. Have the shaft in my vehicle now for a little over 2 weeks...about 250 miles driven and no issues so far. Sellers name is "automotivepartsunlt"...phone number and all listed, spoke to a rep before I ordered and reassured me for 100% satisfaction. For the price, compared to the other options...cant be beat imo. I kept my old shaft, I wonder if that piece you mentioned was internally my issue as well.

mattt0305 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum

mattt0305 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 6 speed manual tarnished platinum

That's for 2004 CTS. You will need it. That part that has been removed is what holds the driveshaft on center. It fits on a dowel that sticks off the output shaft and the disc can't take the stress. I've been there.Screenshot_2013-08-26-23-16-25-1.png part #4 and not available.

Hmm I looked up parts for sell from that seller, don't see any for the CTS off the bat. But I'm wondering if you did pretty much all of the same work that I have done (flex discs, support bearing) and then bought this used drive line with the slightly used oem discs and bearing then was spending the money on said parts a waste of time? In other words, did you still use the new parts with this remanufactured driveline?

----------

Matt, so you're saying the only solution is to replace the entire drive shaft? "Part #4 not available." So you've tried to search for it before? Thanks for the diagram, helps visualize things. Should I have the mechanic put that part back in and just deal with the squeaking until I get another driveline?

RCVW is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): "Angel Dust" 2004 White Diamond CTS 3.6L-V
    After spending the $$$ on aftermarket CS discs and a new oem center support I did go ahead and use my CS discs on the new reman. shaft...but just wanted to state that it did come complete with both discs and the center bearing support, ready to rock out of the box...below is a link to the auction, maybe try and give them a call??

http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=360659049723

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I have a '04 3.2L manual CTS but I imagine it would be around the same price. Sounds like that may be the cheapest option if that's the solution.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.