06 CTS Fuel Gauge , Temp Gauge not working & other random issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By samson_420
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 06 CTS Fuel Gauge , Temp Gauge not working & other random issues in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I just bought a 2006 CTS with a 2.8 v6. The car is in over all decent shape, but does ...
    samson_420 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS-4, 2003 CTS 3.2

06 CTS Fuel Gauge , Temp Gauge not working & other random issues

I just bought a 2006 CTS with a 2.8 v6. The car is in over all decent shape, but does need some work. Yet, it does only have 82k.

One of my first focuses of repair is the fuel level & temp gauge that is not working. Also, there are a couple of errors in the message center, one being the air bag system needs service & security system needs service(also the lock icon is on in the cluster while the car is running). Also the traction control light is on in the cluster and there is a message for it in the notification center.

This car is a salvage restore vehicle. But, it seems to have been for a minor front end collision without any frame damage and the air bags seem to have not been deployed.

Where do I start?

So far I have seem the ECU mentioned as the issue, but I also seen something about the BCM being the cause. Also I have found a few reset procedures to try to reset the ECU.

I am not really in a position to just take it to the dealer and say fix it. Since it will cost one are and at least one leg.

Anyone have anything to add to this?

Here is a pic of the beast. Not too bad for 3,800 Bucks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dmosher669 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

Re: 06 CTS Fuel Gauge , Temp Gauge not working & other random issues

That seems guarnteed to be the ECM. I got out of the dealer for around $800 for a new ECM.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dmosher669 View Post
    That seems guarnteed to be the ECM. I got out of the dealer for around $800 for a new ECM.

Good Luck!
    That's painful

Any way around this insane cost?

Also, is it the main ECM or the BCM? I wanna say BCM since it is the one that controls all the interior stuff.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello Samson_420,

Congratulations on your new purchase of your CTS! Your vehicle looks great and it seems like you got a great deal on it. I do see that you are planning on doing the work on your vehicle yourself. I am not an engineer or a technician unfortunately, so I would not be able to offer any technical advice. If you have any questions, or if you do end up taking your vehicle to the dealership, I would be more than happy to assist. Please private message me or send me an email to socialmedia@gm.com if you would like to further discuss anything. If you send an email, please include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so that it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Soooo. . . . . . . From what I have read and now understand, these cars are all plagued with electrical gremlins.

Got a new ECU, after a painful learning procedure I got it to work. It does the same exact thing as the original one.

What gives? I looked at every fuse twice, ran a direct ground to the ECU from the battery, looked at every piece of wiring that is semi visible. Everything looks as solid as ever.

How can everything take a dump at once? What controls this?

I would understand lets say the ABS & traction control taking a dump due to cut sensor wires or something similar.

But, damn near 80% of my car does not work. No cruise, no temp gauge, no gas gauge, anti theft light comes on after one minute of the car being on, no traction control, no ABS & the air bag light flashes and says it also needs service.

How does this thing even run? Yet it runs just fine without issues. . . . .

I really do love to hate this car at this point.

I have done enough vehicle repair & the only possible way of repair that I can see is seriously chase one circuit at a time. But, on this car this is nearly fiction. This car has more wiring than all my other 3 cars combined.

If anyone can help with this, please do. . . . I have never been this lost in the electronics of a vehicle
    blancagarza006 likes this.

Well, here it is:

Broke down and took this pile to a full on GM Dealer. They ran a full on diagnostic on it for 60 Bucks. They determined that every system in the car with the exception of the transmission has a fault.

The service writer said that the Bus II was shut down. (I think it was called that)

This not a true representation of Cadillac though. Some seem to have problems, but not that many. This car was previously damaged and salvaged. The damage had to be deep enough to total out the car.

I still haven't pulled a CarFax. It is possible it was flooded< This can cause some extremely excessive electronic damage.

blancagarza006 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 cadilla cts

I'm having problems with my gas gauge saying i have more gas then it does then later in the day it shows me different. This is BS, never thought I would have to deal with it. I have an 2007 and am also having an oil leak checked out. I am so ready to trade this car in.

I'm starting to wonder if my car was salvaged and not disclosed by the dealer. Also, I was driving to Fresno and decided to open my sunroof and saw a black strip sticking up in the air. I pulled over and it was the weather strip to my window. NO WONDER ITS NOT AIR TIGHT WHEN I DRIVE AND I HEAR A BUNCH OF NOISE! It seems like they must have had to replace the window before selling the car. How ghetto!!! They could have done it ritht, the least! Very unhappy with the car. I guess we pay for the looks of it!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by samson_420 View Post
    Well, here it is:

Broke down and took this pile to a full on GM Dealer. They ran a full on diagnostic on it for 60 Bucks. They determined that every system in the car with the exception of the transmission has a fault.

The service writer said that the Bus II was shut down. (I think it was called that)

This not a true representation of Cadillac though. Some seem to have problems, but not that many. This car was previously damaged and salvaged. The damage had to be deep enough to total out the car.

I still haven't pulled a CarFax. It is possible it was flooded< This can cause some extremely excessive electronic damage.
    Hello Samson_420,

Thanks for keeping us updated in regards to your CTS. I am sorry to hear that every system in your vehicle had a fault. I am also sorry to hear that the previous damage was enough to total out the vehicle. Are you currently getting the vehicle repaired? Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

----------

Quote Originally Posted by blancagarza006 View Post
    I'm having problems with my gas gauge saying i have more gas then it does then later in the day it shows me different. This is BS, never thought I would have to deal with it. I have an 2007 and am also having an oil leak checked out. I am so ready to trade this car in.

I'm starting to wonder if my car was salvaged and not disclosed by the dealer. Also, I was driving to Fresno and decided to open my sunroof and saw a black strip sticking up in the air. I pulled over and it was the weather strip to my window. NO WONDER ITS NOT AIR TIGHT WHEN I DRIVE AND I HEAR A BUNCH OF NOISE! It seems like they must have had to replace the window before selling the car. How ghetto!!! They could have done it ritht, the least! Very unhappy with the car. I guess we pay for the looks of it!
    Hello blancagarza006,

I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing these issues with your CTS. I would be more than happy to run your VIN through our system to see if your vehicle was salvaged or not. I wouldn’t be able provide you with any past service history of your vehicle, but you can contact your local dealership for that information. Have you brought up your concern with the fuel gauge to your dealership’s service department? If you would like to further discuss these concerns, please feel free to private message me or send me an email to socialmedia@gm.com. If you send an email, please be sure to include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so that it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

derby is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Hi , Samson ,

I have the same issue . Did you get the issue resolved ? May I know how ?

Thanks

agp
    agp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Ex-CTS owner

Based on my zero knowledge of car mechanics, I would say your fuel gauge temp is having issues because those wheels are flaming and they are overheating all the other components. Try switching to something less vulgar, that might solve the problem.

In all seriousness though, you picked up a sweet car for a great price. Hope you get the issues fixed, best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by samson_420 View Post

Kanzy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

For any electronic problem, before spending money at the garage or at the dealers, the first thing to do is to connect a good AUTOMATIC battery charger to your battery and give it a slow charge (10 amps or less) for a long time (the whole night or more) even if your battery is strong enough to crank your engine. I suggest you do that a few nights in a row, to make sure your battery voltage is strong enough to supply your electronic system with a steady voltage higher than 12 volts. If your battery is to old, better spend money on a new one than spending a lot more money on changing the ECM, ECU, or any other electronic device in your car. Most of the problems should be solved. If not, than go to your dealer, but make sure you have a lot of money in your pocket.

Now, if you want to reset the ECU or ECM, here is the good and safe way to do it:

First you,ve got to know that your ignition switch has 4 different positions; "A", "B", "C" and "D".

"A" = fully off (you can pull out your key), "B" = off (you can't pull out your key), "C" = ON (all the lights are ON in you dash board), "D" = cranking position.

1.- Turn the ignition switch to "A" or "B" position if "A" is not possible.

2.- Remove the fuse panel lid. (The fuse panel should be in the engine compartment, passenger side, near the radiator)

3.- Pull out the fuse labeled "ECM" or "ECU" (You may use a pair of long nose plyers or the small plastic tool that's allready in the fuse box) (The inside of the fuse panel li d shows a chart indicating where each fuse is located)

4.- Turn the ignition switch to "ON" (position "C") (be carefull not to go as far as cranck position "D").

5.- Leave it like that and wait at least 5 minutes.

6.- Turn the ignition key to "OFF" position ( it should go to "A" position)

7.- Replace the fuse carefully into its slot in the fuse panel. Press it down until it is fully inserted. Replace the fuse box cover

Good luck to you.

propninja is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Had the same problem check my link

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l#post11248978

vmz4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

I have the exact same problem 2005 cadillac cts 3.6 my temperature gauge and fuel gauge work whenever they want to and my traction, anti-theft, airbag lights are on what could be the problem? HELP please hate havinf these things on!!!!!????
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Good morning - Your CF account is activated. Please use the Profile and Settings tabs to update your profile to reflect proper birth date, approximate location, car owned and time zone - or do you really live in London - GMT ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.