Thinking about Redneck Cadillac
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Thinking about Redneck Cadillac in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; My 2004 CTS 3.6L Automatic 4-Door Sedan. Luxury 18" Wheels Tan leather Sunroof and all the goodies except Nav. 101,458 ...
    georgiaexpress8601 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Automatic Luxury

Thinking about Redneck Cadillac

My 2004 CTS 3.6L Automatic 4-Door Sedan.
    Luxury 18" Wheels
    Tan leather
    Sunroof and all the goodies except Nav.
    101,458 miles

1. 15% Black Tint- Check
    2. K&N Replacement Air filter (for what its worth)- Check
    3. Single Gun Rack behind passenger seats- Installing soon (gun rack and gun in possession)
    4. Mount a Grill Guard- Got the Grill guard, black like something you'd see on an Xterra or Nissan Truck (fits like a glove)- Cannot figure out how to mount without welding directly to the front axle which may do more harm than good? Input would be greatly appreciated.
    5. Realtree Camo seat covers for all 4 seats? Soon

6. *Need Advice*- Tires have about 20-30,000 miles left on them, I want to swap them for a mud/all terrain, but don't want to lift the car and
    get too gnarly with it, want to keep stock rims and suspension. I have my eye HARD on a set of Discoverer AT/3's 265/60(65?)R18's.

Question is, can I fit these tires on the car without worrying too much about bumping and scraping? The overall diameter is 31.5 inches give or take a tenth.

Question 2: Will putting basically a 4" larger overall diameter tire, which will raise the car 2 inches affect my transmission? I understand all the driveablity and turning radius issues, how will it affect my transmission and engine load? Insignificant? Significant? Totally ruin it and don't do it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

aviatordave is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS, 1976 Seville (sold)

Re: Thinking about Redneck Cadillac

I say go for it... after you double check those tires will work. to me, sounds like there may be a fitment issue.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L / 09 CBR 600rr - Bazzaz tuned

i think the tires are too wide... when the suspension compresses your wheel wells will sit on the tires, while im motion this translates to a kinfe slowly cutting through the tire till its opened up.
    keep them inside the wheel wells or cut the fenders and put fender flares on it like a truck.

i feel sorry for your car but am interested in seeing how this pans out....

and really? 20-30km left on your tires? how many k do you put on a set?

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Volant, Hotchkis CTS Sway Bars

I'm actually interested in how you'll get the grill guard to fit and if you can get it to fit correctly without compromising the car. I actually think it could look pretty cool if done correctly.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by georgiaexpress8601 View Post
    4. Mount a Grill Guard- Got the Grill guard, black like something you'd see on an Xterra or Nissan Truck (fits like a glove)- Cannot figure out how to mount without welding directly to the front axle which may do more harm than good?
    Have you converted your car to AWD? If not, what "front axle" are you referring to?

6. *Need Advice*- Tires have about 20-30,000 miles left on them, I want to swap them for a mud/all terrain, but don't want to lift the car and get too gnarly with it, want to keep stock rims and suspension. I have my eye HARD on a set of Discoverer AT/3's 265/60(65?)R18's.

Question is, can I fit these tires on the car without worrying too much about bumping and scraping? The overall diameter is 31.5 inches give or take a tenth.
    Walk out to your car with a tape measure and see.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, Breather cap, drilled PCV, tranny cooler...

I think a 4" larger tire will certainly have fitment issues, even if you roll the fenders. Maybe an inch or two over, but four inches without adjusting the suspension? Dubious, at best. You cannot jump 4" in tire size in a lot of trucks, much less a Cadillac luxury sedan.

Have you thought about what this is going to do to your final drive ratio?

And you are mistaken about the front axle. And even if you had put a solid axle in the front, you certainly wouldnt want to attach the bumper guard to it. If you hit anything with your bumper guard welded to a front axle, all the force is delivered to the axle, pushing it backwards... that would be bad. Probably really bad. In fact, it would be as if your bumper guard didnt protect anything at all.

Dont get me wrong, do whatever you want to your car. Just do it right. And post pictures of your progress, I am sadly curious to see how this turns out.

A couple things to consider:
    CTS-V differential, for the steeper 3.73 gears.
    Widebody fender flares, they exist for our cars, I promise.
    All terrain SUV tires that are as close to stock size as possible.
    Stiffer springs and sway bars (coilovers might even give you some lift options).
    Buying a truck.
    =Javi= likes this.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L / 09 CBR 600rr - Bazzaz tuned

Quote Originally Posted by davidboren View Post
    i think a 4" larger tire will certainly have fitment issues, even if you roll the fenders. Maybe an inch or two over, but four inches without adjusting the suspension? Dubious, at best. You cannot jump 4" in tire size in a lot of trucks, much less a cadillac luxury sedan.

Have you thought about what this is going to do to your final drive ratio?

And you are mistaken about the front axle. And even if you had put a solid axle in the front, you certainly wouldnt want to attach the bumper guard to it. If you hit anything with your bumper guard welded to a front axle, all the force is delivered to the axle, pushing it backwards... That would be bad. Probably really bad. In fact, it would be as if your bumper guard didnt protect anything at all.

Dont get me wrong, do whatever you want to your car. Just do it right. And post pictures of your progress, i am sadly curious to see how this turns out.

A couple things to consider:
    Cts-v differential, for the steeper 3.73 gears.
    Widebody fender flares, they exist for our cars, i promise.
    All terrain suv tires that are as close to stock size as possible.
    Stiffer springs and sway bars (coilovers might even give you some lift options).
    buying a truck.
    lol...
    =Javi= likes this.

Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Oh my.....are you trying to go like Duck Dynasty redneck or Honey Boo Boo redneck. Either one is a fail on a CTS.

mjs020294 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Probably one of the stupidest things I have read on a car forum.

I could maybe, MAYBE, understand it with a CTS-V... you would have the V8 power and the manual tranny. Slap a 4wd transfer case on it, and grab the dana 44's and long-arm coil-spring suspension out from under a Rubicon Wrangler, cut the fenders all the way open, put your silly mudding tires on it, and swiftly drive it off the nearest bridge.

that's thinking outside of the box.

back in the 80s, when I was on active duty, one of my mechanics had a 69 or 70 El Dorado that was on a 6" lifted 4X4 Suburban frame... very interesting. I had an uncle who had a 73 sedan deville and needed a truck - YEP, he cut the back seat and trunk out and made his own truck. I regret never taking any photos of either.

Quote Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
    that's thinking outside of the box.

back in the 80s, when I was on active duty, one of my mechanics had a 69 or 70 El Dorado that was on a 6" lifted 4X4 Suburban frame... very interesting. I had an uncle who had a 73 sedan deville and needed a truck - YEP, he cut the back seat and trunk out and made his own truck. I regret never taking any photos of either.
    I have seen lifted El Caminos. And I have seen a 1970s Charger that had been turned into a work truck. But if you want all the creature comforts of a Cadillac to go off-roading in, Cadillac makes something for that... its called the Escalade(truck). For one, lifted Avalanche/Escalade(truck) look freaking sick. And, oh yeah, youre not ruining a really nice luxury sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
    I have seen lifted El Caminos. And I have seen a 1970s Charger that had been turned into a work truck. But if you want all the creature comforts of a Cadillac to go off-roading in, Cadillac makes something for that... its called the Escalade(truck). For one, lifted Avalanche/Escalade(truck) look freaking sick. And, oh yeah, youre not ruining a really nice luxury sedan.
    yep - Escalades are pretty cool. but they weren't even a gleam in an engineer's eye back in the 70s. Uncle's 'truck' rode great, even with a load in the back.

heck, I carry stuff in my CTs trunk... fence materials, 10 bags of mulch, and 500 lbs of decorative rocks - twice.

georgiaexpress8601 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Automatic Luxury

Not going to swap any gears.

Not lifting the car.

The front axle I speak of is whatever the round bar like piece of metal that connects the two front tires together......I call it an axle........But besides the unibody, thats the only thing I could mount/weld to, and as DavidBoren said, that may be a bad idea If I actually hit something.......David do you have any other suggestion as to how I could mount it and be relatively safe?

The Tire width and height could be an issue. Here are the specs:

What I have now:
    BF Goodrich Advantage T/A 225/50R17 Overall Diameter: 25.9" Sect Width: 9.2"
    30 Thousand miles on them so far, another 30 thousand will not be a problem, no where close to tread bars.

What I want (had to correct this from my earlier post)
    Cooper Discoverer AT/3 235/60R17 Overall Diameter: 28.31" Sect Width: 9.36"

Can I interpret this as these tires being 2.41" Taller and 0.16" Wider? If so I believe that will leave me with at least 1.5 inches of clearance from the top of the tire to the top of the outside fender well, allowing full turning and not worrying about scrubbing too much. The Width difference seems almost negligible.

A 10% taller tire shouldn't be too much cause for concern regarding the transmission should it? I see pictures of CTS's online sporting 26" thuggers and 5 inch lifts with probably the same tranny......

----------

Blayne: Duck Dynasty have too much money, and Honey Boo Boo are Whisky Tango Rednecks, I'm shooting for halfway classy-halfway good dirt road rider. I'm from south georgia and the cts rides dirt roads good as it sits.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Your period key appears to be sticking sometimes - might want to check on that.

The front axle I speak of is whatever the round bar like piece of metal that connects the two front tires together. I call it an axle.
    You have an independent front suspension - there is nothing connecting the tires together. (For that matter, even on a vehicle with a solid axle there's nothing connecting the tires together.) Perhaps you're referring to the front sway bar? If so, good luck mounting a brush guard to that!

But besides the unibody, thats the only thing I could mount/weld to, and as DavidBoren said, that may be a bad idea If I actually hit something.......David do you have any other suggestion as to how I could mount it and be relatively safe?
    Why would you not mount it to the frame rails, like you would on the vehicle it's actually intended to be mounted on? A brush guard on an Xterra or Nissan truck isn't mounted to the front sway bar or front axle, it's mounted to the frame rails (either directly, or through the bumper mounts).
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.