Replaced Theft Deturrent module, Car thinks it's stolen
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Replaced Theft Deturrent module, Car thinks it's stolen in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Title says it. I know that the standard method is to take the car to a dealer, but I'm wondering ...
    propninja is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Replaced Theft Deturrent module, Car thinks it's stolen

Title says it. I know that the standard method is to take the car to a dealer, but I'm wondering if there is an independent mechanic with a Tech II scanner that cab do the work? The intent being to save some cash. Or do I have other options? I'm in the los Angeles Area, any helpfull suggestions will be greatly apreciated.

Thanx

Wendel

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AAIIIC is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Replaced Theft Deturrent module, Car thinks it's stolen

I'm pretty sure there is a relearn procedure you can do with just your key and key fob. I'll try to remember to look for it in the FSM after work today.

I know there's the "30 minute relearn" that you can do if you replace the ECU/ECM - I just had to do that a couple weeks ago. But I think the TDM relearn is a different procedure.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, 19x8.5/10" CCW T140s with Toyo Proxes T1 Sports (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Thanks.Yea, I know About the 30 min relearn procedure (there's also a 10min procedure) but according to the service manual they both require a Tech II to initiate the procedure. Of course the manual assumes you have A Tech II handy. I'm hoping for a work around and extra pairs of eyes helps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

I forgot to look it up yesterday, so I don't know what the relearn process is for the TDM. I know the whole point of the 30-min relearn is that you don't have a Tech2 to use. It requires nothing other than a key that was previously programmed to the car. I've done it on 2 or 3 occasions, no Tech2, just me in my driveway or garage.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, 19x8.5/10" CCW T140s with Toyo Proxes T1 Sports (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

So I finally remembered to look up the procedures. The 10-min relearn does require the Tech2. Both the 10-min and 30-min relearns say that if you're replacing the TDM, you have to perform the procedure to setup a new TDM (which also requires a Tech2) before doing the relearn.

Sounds like you're screwed. Even if you find an independent mechanic with a Tech2 I'm guessing you won't save much money - it'll probably be 1hr labor either way.

Well six hours and $200 later, my car runs but I still have the same problem I started with. "service theft deterrent system" The only thing i know for sure is that it's not the theft deterrent system. But I have a clue. See new thread water in driver's footewell

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by propninja View Post
    Well six hours and $200 later, my car runs but I still have the same problem I started with. "service theft deterrent system" The only thing i know for sure is that it's not the theft deterrent system. But I have a clue. See new thread water in driver's footewell
    Hello propninja,

I am sorry you are still experiencing issues with your service theft deterrent system module. I know you mentioned wanting to go around working with a dealer, however due to the issue still occurring, if you are willing to work with a dealer please let us know. We can be contacted via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

10. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.