Replaced Theft Deturrent module, Car thinks it's stolen
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Replaced Theft Deturrent module, Car thinks it's stolen in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Title says it. I know that the standard method is to take the car to a dealer, but I'm wondering ...
    propninja is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Replaced Theft Deturrent module, Car thinks it's stolen

Title says it. I know that the standard method is to take the car to a dealer, but I'm wondering if there is an independent mechanic with a Tech II scanner that cab do the work? The intent being to save some cash. Or do I have other options? I'm in the los Angeles Area, any helpfull suggestions will be greatly apreciated.

Thanx

Wendel

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Replaced Theft Deturrent module, Car thinks it's stolen

I'm pretty sure there is a relearn procedure you can do with just your key and key fob. I'll try to remember to look for it in the FSM after work today.

I know there's the "30 minute relearn" that you can do if you replace the ECU/ECM - I just had to do that a couple weeks ago. But I think the TDM relearn is a different procedure.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Thanks.Yea, I know About the 30 min relearn procedure (there's also a 10min procedure) but according to the service manual they both require a Tech II to initiate the procedure. Of course the manual assumes you have A Tech II handy. I'm hoping for a work around and extra pairs of eyes helps.

I forgot to look it up yesterday, so I don't know what the relearn process is for the TDM. I know the whole point of the 30-min relearn is that you don't have a Tech2 to use. It requires nothing other than a key that was previously programmed to the car. I've done it on 2 or 3 occasions, no Tech2, just me in my driveway or garage.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

So I finally remembered to look up the procedures. The 10-min relearn does require the Tech2. Both the 10-min and 30-min relearns say that if you're replacing the TDM, you have to perform the procedure to setup a new TDM (which also requires a Tech2) before doing the relearn.

Sounds like you're screwed. Even if you find an independent mechanic with a Tech2 I'm guessing you won't save much money - it'll probably be 1hr labor either way.

Well six hours and $200 later, my car runs but I still have the same problem I started with. "service theft deterrent system" The only thing i know for sure is that it's not the theft deterrent system. But I have a clue. See new thread water in driver's footewell

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by propninja View Post
    Well six hours and $200 later, my car runs but I still have the same problem I started with. "service theft deterrent system" The only thing i know for sure is that it's not the theft deterrent system. But I have a clue. See new thread water in driver's footewell
    Hello propninja,

I am sorry you are still experiencing issues with your service theft deterrent system module. I know you mentioned wanting to go around working with a dealer, however due to the issue still occurring, if you are willing to work with a dealer please let us know. We can be contacted via private message.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.