Rear wheel bearing
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Rear wheel bearing in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; How many people have had a rear wheel bearing go bad? My car has about 110k miles. I have a ...
    maximusdecimus is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6L

Rear wheel bearing

How many people have had a rear wheel bearing go bad? My car has about 110k miles. I have a noise I think is coming from the right rear. I don't think it is the tire. Noise seems to change if I do a really hard yank on the wheel to the right (unloading the right rear tire) so I don't think the noise is coming from the rear end.

Is the bearing hard to replace?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 118k

Re: Rear wheel bearing

I replaced one of my rear ones on my CTS at about 80k IIRC...It's not hard, except the E-Brake mechanism can be a PITA to get back together...

- Remove wheel
    - Remove brake caliper
    - Remove rotor
    - Remove bad wheel bearing
    - Install new wheel bearing
    - Put it all back together

Done

If it the noise changes when you go from side to side it is more than likely a bad bearing, if you yank to the right and it gets louder the bad bearing is on the driver side and vice versa. I suggest either going with OEM (spendier) or a Timken or SKF bearing, if you go cheap you'll be doing it again before you know it.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

CTSM is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

I've done it before, out of error, replaced rear left hub assembly with Timken unit (best option IMHO) it really sounded like I had a bad bearing, turned out it was my rear driver side snow tire making strange noise back then, ooops oh well I keep the old hub handy just in case the rear right one goes bad I'll make use of it hehe

CTS-QC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS Luxury Sport

Had it happen to mine, at around 80k miles. Thought it might have been the diff, but was the right rear wheel bearing. It sounded rather like I had an outboard boat motor in the back. The mechanic said he had a really tough time taking off the old one, so don't be surprised if it isn't an easy job.

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Volant, Hotchkis CTS Sway Bars

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    I replaced one of my rear ones on my CTS at about 80k IIRC...It's not hard, except the E-Brake mechanism can be a PITA to get back together...

- Remove wheel
    - Remove brake caliper
    - Remove rotor
    - Remove bad wheel bearing
    - Install new wheel bearing
    - Put it all back together

Done

If it the noise changes when you go from side to side it is more than likely a bad bearing, if you yank to the right and it gets louder the bad bearing is on the driver side and vice versa. I suggest either going with OEM (spendier) or a Timken or SKF bearing, if you go cheap you'll be doing it again before you know it.
    Is the process the same for the front wheel hubs/bearing assembly?

josney is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by DopeEffect View Post
    Is the process the same for the front wheel hubs/bearing assembly?
    yep, very simple process for the fronts.
    many mods \m/ \m/

DZarzour is offline Cadillac Owners Member

don't buy the cheap bearings I had mine replaced a year ago I bought the cheap $99 jobs from 1a auto 6 months later one of them failed replaced it now the other side has failed I'm going to bite the bullet and spend the 450 bucks on Timkens. I will say this for 1 a auto they are giving me a credit for the replacement but I will have had to pay to do the job two and a half times

----------

by the way can anyone tell me why the 03 to 07 rear bearings are for $455 and the 08 bearings are $266?

CTSM is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

Quote Originally Posted by DZarzour View Post
    don't buy the cheap bearings I had mine replaced a year ago I bought the cheap $99 jobs from 1a auto 6 months later one of them failed replaced it now the other side has failed I'm going to bite the bullet and spend the 450 bucks on Timkens. I will say this for 1 a auto they are giving me a credit for the replacement but I will have had to pay to do the job two and a half times

----------

by the way can anyone tell me why the 03 to 07 rear bearings are for $455 and the 08 bearings are $266?
    RockAuto.com has the Timken Rear hub for $194.79 and the Timken front hub for $132.79. That's your answer you are buying them overpriced.

DZarzour is offline Cadillac Owners Member

450 is for a pair, so they are not too far out of line, and the fact remains no matter where i've looked 03-07 rear bearings are about twice what 08's are

----------

450 is for a pair, so they are not too far out of line, and the fact remains no matter where i've looked 03-07 rear bearings are about twice what parts fro the 08's are

AmericanMuscle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Get the SKF hub assemblies instead. You can also find them on Rockauto.com. Best replacement by far.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.