06 cts surge / jerk during standstill
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 06 cts surge / jerk during standstill in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; ive noticed this every once in a while and im hopng its not signs of torque converter issues. when it ...
    domer94 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 cts 3.6l

06 cts surge / jerk during standstill

ive noticed this every once in a while and im hopng its not signs of torque converter issues. when it first started, i did a fluid / filter change , used mobil1 synth trans fluid. i reset the computer and it seemed fine. occasionally when im at a light or stop and go traffic, i will get a few tugs / jerks that seem like it comes from the drivetrain (almost like when a trans waits to do its downshifting after the vehicl slows and stops - usually not a good sign). also , in traffice , when im moving below 20 mph , and go to accelerate a little bit , it feels like there is some slack in the tranny and will give a bit of a clunk. i dont notice any slack symptoms when starting from a stop , so im ruling out universals. ive checked vacuum lines etc etc , everything looks good

car is well maintained and has 72k miles 3.6 v6

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    This sounds like what my coil pack did to me. Very much the same symptoms. But in order to see it, you'll need a scan tool that can scan live.

KOT

Re: 06 cts surge / jerk during standstill

did she throw any codes or lights that were outwardly noticable? what type of shop would have this... avoiding the dealer of course

Oh, no codes for me. Because it wasn't in the thresh hold of having an actual mis-fire. Even though it was technically a mis-fire.

My brother is an assistant manager at a shop. So he had the tool of course. This is what he has, or at least very close to it. It's a $1,200 plus machine...

KOT

Jim's 06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Try putting it in neutral and see if the rpm is fluctuating. It MAY not be a transmission issue.

thanks will do.

If I recall correctly. Putting in neutral made the problem go away. Because it wouldn't "misfire" when it wasn't under load.

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's 06 View Post
    Try putting it in neutral and see if the rpm is fluctuating. It MAY not be a transmission issue.
    to follow up ... my wife had the car the other day into manhaten and complained about the same thing in the stop and go traffic. i havent myself experienced it in a very long time. she said it didnt happen when the car was in park. so this would now point to a misfire for sure? should i start throwing coil packs and plugs at it?

briggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles

Usually ignition/timing/injector problems are present when in park or neutral, usually you get a little shake while idling. When driving or in drive with the brake down the shake gets a little worse. What you describe sounds like drive train issues as you only note it when driving or accelerating from a stop. So perhaps some background information is due.

1.) How many miles on the car?
    2.) Last trans fluid service ?
    3.) Recent service to teh car, what part ?
    4.) Does the problem happen in park, in drive, in reverse?
    5.) How do your rpm relate to speed and transmission gear change?
    6.) Describe idle from start up, until the car has warmed up.

Quote Originally Posted by domer94 View Post
    to follow up ... my wife had the car the other day into manhaten and complained about the same thing in the stop and go traffic. i havent myself experienced it in a very long time. she said it didnt happen when the car was in park. so this would now point to a misfire for sure? should i start throwing coil packs and plugs at it?

hi , i had addressed most of these in the original post. 74k on the car now, trans filter was changed , 3 drain and fills done with mobil1 atf , rear diff fluid changed with mobil1 diff. throttle body cleaned. this happens when car is in drive and brake applied at standstill. seems to come on in stop and go , when stopped more than going , as in the city. idle and running is smooth with no issues. trans shifting seems to be normal with no harsh up / downshifts, although when cruising along at slow pace as in slow moving highway traffic, when applying gas from about 15-25 mph, it seems like the trans takes up some play then thunks into forward motion. ive rechecked trans fluid levels in the proper manner with the car running , after shifting through all gears several times.

briggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles

ok, I don't think the problem is ignition related, I think it's your transmission. You may need to just let the transmission work itself out. I know with transmission flushes (this isnt' yoru case) build up in the transmission gets moved around changing fluid dynamics. Long story short the transmission starts 'acting funny'. I don't know that you should just ignore this I would go back and check your work, check the cooler lines, make sure they are not kinked, or leaking. Check the connections to the radiator to make sure they are firm and not corroded. Check your fluid level again make sure you replaced it by the book. I am pretty knowledgeable but trans fluid changes I leave to the pros.

I'm assuming after yoru drain and refill, you did the standard while in park and brake applied shifted through all the gears, then went back and checked the level etc.

Quote Originally Posted by domer94 View Post
    hi , i had addressed most of these in the original post. 74k on the car now, trans filter was changed , 3 drain and fills done with mobil1 atf , rear diff fluid changed with mobil1 diff. throttle body cleaned. this happens when car is in drive and brake applied at standstill. seems to come on in stop and go , when stopped more than going , as in the city. idle and running is smooth with no issues. trans shifting seems to be normal with no harsh up / downshifts, although when cruising along at slow pace as in slow moving highway traffic, when applying gas from about 15-25 mph, it seems like the trans takes up some play then thunks into forward motion. ive rechecked trans fluid levels in the proper manner with the car running , after shifting through all gears several times.

yes , i didnt do a "flush" per say , as with a machine. i tend to shy away from that on higher milage applications. all i did was drain the fluid through the pan, and refill through the fill plug (i had dropped the pan and changed filters for the first one). the second and third drain/fill i had the rear on jack stands and actually ran the car at idle speed with wheels turning while filling , then ran through all gears , including shifting through the manual selection. i was really anal about the process....
    i havent experienced it since a while now , but she said she did....
    what about a computer reset? if i disconnect the batt for a long time will the trans relearn its shift patterns and curves?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.