Tranny Fluid?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Tranny Fluid? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Ok guys, I am usually the one that says do a search when someone asks a simple question. But, I'm ...
    Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package

Tranny Fluid?

Ok guys, I am usually the one that says do a search when someone asks a simple question. But, I'm knee deep in multi vehicle repairs and I have been in the garage for days.

I need to know how much fluid our tranny (auto) takes. I blew my tranny line and I am doing the exterior cooler and need to fill it.

Thanks to who ever replies!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Keep in mind that the external cooler is gonna hold a different volume amount as compared to the factory. I can't even begin to say which way, more or less. But I know that the factory specs for transmission fluid are in the owners manual. And I believe that it's 9.5qt. Just double check the owners manual.

KOT

Ok thanks KOT. I thought I remembered it being around 10 qts of Dexron 6 or something. And I was thinking the same on the amount. After I add the factory requirements, I will run it thru the gears as per the manual and I will have to add or remove as needed. I say remove but I actually mean watch it pour out of the fill hole lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Blayne
    Ok thanks KOT. I thought I remembered it being around 10 qts of Dexron 6 or something. And I was thinking the same on the amount. After I add the factory requirements, I will run it thru the gears as per the manual and I will have to add or remove as needed. I say remove but I actually mean watch it pour out of the fill hole lol.
    Ha ha

I need to add some to mine. When my external was installed last year. None was added, so whatever was in the factory cooler never made it back. Drove around like that for over 10,000 miles. Just last month I had had a flush done. But the flushing machine only puts it what it takes out.

However, had a kid who only done one other flush. So he was fumbling around as fluid poured out.

So would you let me know what size the bolt/socket is for the full hole. And what did you use to make the fluid from the bottle to get into the transmission. Lol

KOT

I will be using a transfer pump. That I know for sure. But I will let you know what the size is for the fill plug!

Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS

Re: Tranny Fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Ha ha

I need to add some to mine. When my external was installed last year. None was added, so whatever was in the factory cooler never made it back. Drove around like that for over 10,000 miles. Just last month I had had a flush done. But the flushing machine only puts it what it takes out.

However, had a kid who only done one other flush. So he was fumbling around as fluid poured out.

So would you let me know what size the bolt/socket is for the full hole. And what did you use to make the fluid from the bottle to get into the transmission. Lol

KOT
    KOT it's a torx t45 and I used the cheap red universal transfer pump from Harbor freight, I think its usually on sale for around $5 bucks and works great.

Yup, T-45 was the right tool. I drained the oil that was left in the tranny. Tranny refill with external coolers was 8 liters. 8.5 US qts. I am sure there was probably a bit of oil left in the torque converter and whatnot so that's why it only took 8 liters. External cooler took about 30 minutes to install and was a breeze.

I've never filled a transmission. What is this "going through gears" all about? Granted I am topping off, I'll probably use a quart. But there again I have no idea how much was lost.

KOT

Remove fill plug. Add oil until it comes out of the fill hole. Then start car. Fill until oil comes out again. Then put the car in gear and run it through all the gears. This ensures oil gets in all the passages and valves. Add a little more oil till it comes out of the hole. Install the fill plug with the engine running. If you turn the car off with the plug out, the oil will puke out of the hole. So install plug while running and caution......hot exhaust pipe 2" from the fill hole. I nave burns to prove it.

P.S.....The car must be level to do this!!!!!
    Kingoftypos likes this.

Thank you sir.

KOT

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    Remove fill plug. Add oil until it comes out of the fill hole. Then start car. Fill until oil comes out again. Then put the car in gear and run it through all the gears. This ensures oil gets in all the passages and valves. Add a little more oil till it comes out of the hole. Install the fill plug with the engine running. If you turn the car off with the plug out, the oil will puke out of the hole. So install plug while running and caution......hot exhaust pipe 2" from the fill hole. I nave burns to prove it.

P.S.....The car must be level to do this!!!!!
    I can relate to the forearm burns when I did mine. Putting that plug in will most likely get you burnt, I recommend long sleeves for that part.

Quote Originally Posted by arogers260

I can relate to the forearm burns when I did mine. Putting that plug in will most likely get you burnt, I recommend long sleeves for that part.
    Next time I'm wearing oven kits lol.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Here is handy link where you can lookup capacities on vehicles from 1980 up... ----> Lookup Guide

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
    Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    Next time I'm wearing oven kits lol.
    Lol or some welders sleeves.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Keep in mind that the external cooler is gonna hold a different volume amount as compared to the factory. I can't even begin to say which way, more or less. But I know that the factory specs for transmission fluid are in the owners manual. And I believe that it's 9.5qt. Just double check the owners manual.

KOT
    i want to say that is te drain and fill amount, but total is closer to 20 if you take the pan off and start from scratch.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.