New Owner
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, New Owner in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hey all, I'm picking up an '03 luxury/sport with 135k on the clock tomorrow to use as a backup/runaround car. ...
    3-Stroke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport

New Owner

Hey all,

I'm picking up an '03 luxury/sport with 135k on the clock tomorrow to use as a backup/runaround car. I've driven at least a dozen first-gen models over the last 3 months......mostly clapped-out, poorly maintained, and overvalued, but this one impressed with it's cleanliness and overall condition.

Not surprisingly it needs a few cosmetic details attended to but mechanically it seems to be tight and correct except one issue, a small but noticeable amount of freeplay somewhere in the steering/front end. I don't have any previous experience with CTS's, but a long history of DIY wrenching has me guessing tie rod ends. I've been reading about control arm bushings on here as I've researched them a little and it makes me wonder if that may be more likely?

I tried to rock the front wheels top/bottom like you would to check wheel bearings and control arms for play, but obviously it's hard to tell without getting the wheel off the ground.

So, wild guesses.....which is more likely/common?....tie rod ends or control arm bushings or wheel bearings?

I also want to say, for a ten year old design Cadillac got a lot right with this car....a really nice blend of handling and comfort, and a lot of bang for the buck if you can take your time and find a good used one.

I'll know more once I get it back here to the shop tomorrow, but the experience of the masses will help me nail it down I'm sure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

J W
    J W is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS /CTS-V / Escalade

Re: New Owner

Welcom, hopefully it is a minor problem. Then you can get out there and enjoy your run around

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Re: New Owner

you shoulda bought mine, mechanically solid, looks only about 3 yrs old.. needs 02 Sensors, and steering position sensor installed but i have it.. its been unplugged for 4 years.
    new suspension all around and serviced to date, just did te timing belt service and every other component that was easier to do while the belt was done... that cost me $1500 on GM staff/family/friend of the dealers price... i saved about 500.

tie rods go at about 100-150km....some earlier some later but it does seem to be common, 2 summers ago about every other person on here had to do them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.