2007 CTS 45,000 mile maintence issues and questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Planktron
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2007 CTS 45,000 mile maintence issues and questions in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So after about an hour of searching and searching around and with little success I've decided to make a thread ...
    Mappy610 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2007 CTS 45,000 mile maintence issues and questions

So after about an hour of searching and searching around and with little success I've decided to make a thread with a few questions..

Start off with a quick brief:
    Car has been acting up last 2 weeks with RPM jumping all the way up then dropping down low unexpectedly while driving at a steady speed of about 50-60 mph, while using cruise control, going uphill and downhill you name it. This only happens on the freeway though which i dont drive on to often, maybe like 1-2 times a week. Mainly drive couple miles on backroads to work and back everyday at like 25 mph.

Today
    So since car was due for an oil change i decided to take to "stealership" and get that done and went ahead and asked for diagnostic check which is $150 after explaining ^^up above to see whats wrong. i get to dealership and get an estimate of the $150 for check and $90 for oil change and get told it'll be a few hours before its ready. Thinking "awesome cool i love getting raped, lets go for more".
    So i ask about any maintenance that needed to be done @ 45,000 miles since car literally hit 45,000 miles as i pulled up (what are the odds of that, crazy i know), other than the multi point inspections that come with the oil change...and guy starts telling me about..
    1. Flushing out coolant $250 (which ive found some info about here)
    2. Flushing out fuel injectors $200 (also found just a little bit about here)
    3. Flushing out a/c lines $200 (didnt find a SINGLE thing about here)
    Now i'm thinking "yes i get to take it with no lube, straight rawdog now" but just told him just stick with diagnostic check and oil change now and talk afterward once we see whats wrong.

Flashfoward to a few hours later im back in office with guy and starts going over everything.
    1. Oil change went well, all fluids replaced and topped off, car is in really good condition actually
    2. Reason for loss and gain of RPM was because negative battery terminal was pretty lose so it was causing car to lose and gain power randomly so tighten that and its good....
    3. Pinion (steering rack) has a small leak that needs to be fixed along with power steering fluid replacement with flush $1225 ( which i read ALOT about on here and see its kinda common)
    4. Wanted to still charge me the $150 for diagnostic check even though they didnt do it because they found the battery terminal problem fairly quickly so no need for the check, so i told him to "**** off" not paying for that in different polite way.

Present day as i write this
    Car stayed overnight at "stealership" with the coolant flush and fuel injector flush being done first thing in the morning, while i'm holding off on a/c flush and pinion leak fix until i do some more research (aka asking on here) and go from there

Soo after this looonng novel of a post that i hope most do make it through..
    1. how necessary/unnecessary are all these flushes and leak fix?
    2. are all the estimates i got sound right/reasonable enough?
    3. anyone else experience any of the above?

and now i take the time to thank everyone in advance who takes the time to read and even respond to the post and hopefully help me out before i go dishing out money,

WHICH BY THE WAY: i know some might think or say "u shouldnt of got a caddy if u dont wanna pay caddy prices, dont complain, yadda yadda yadda" which honestly i have NO PROBLEM spending the necessary money to have my car in tip top shape and more than willing to drop as much as i need to, but at the same time not willing to throw away or give away money pretty much on things that are made up or even uncalled for and not needed

again thank you

----------

oh also forgot to mention that i did go through and read owners manual plenty of times before and went over the "Maintenance Recommendations/Schedules" and didnt see ANY of the the 3 flushes i was told about so i did find it pretty random that they were brought up

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Planktron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 5M Luxury/Sport: V rear bumper and V exhaust
    Well, fluid flushes are a good idea, but I'm not sure about the ac flush, that's new to me. Coolant flush is easy but disposal is a pain since most auto parts stores only accept oil. I can't speak on the effectiveness of injector cleaning. I usually just run some sea foam through the tank every so often. Brake fluid flush is a good idea too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    Argent1 likes this.

Mappy610 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 2007 CTS 45,000 mile maintence issues and questions

^^^thanks..yea i'm ok with both the coolant and fuel flushes but like u said a/c flush was out of nowhere. Now i was wondering if 200 and 250 for each was average price or is it something that i couldve possibly done myself for far less?

And the pinion rack leak anyone have any more info/experiences on that?

ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Prices are outrageous

Yeah. Cross shop some independent shops to see their prices. Things like fluid flushes are usually flat rate. I had my brake fluid flushed and vacuum bled for $100 in my old truck.

CaptSoloNJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Most dealers or shops recommend coolant flush at 5 years (3 years in the old days) . You can stretch to 6 or 7 years if you do not put in high mileage.
    Owner's manual does NOT mention fuel injector flushing. If you use high detergent quality gasoline, you may never need to flush injectors if you change the fuel filters a max of 2 years.
    Never heard of flushing AC. If no problems with AC, leave it alone. You can add refrigerant yourself easily (check out YouTube) if the AC is no longer cooling sufficiently.

+1. A/C is one system I try my hardest NOT to disrupt. Asking for trouble... Always leads to a light wallet.

Calgary03 is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Cts Sport Luxury
    Coolant flush is a dumb idea IMO. Dex-Cool Is good for a lot longer than 45K. Pretty sure the jug in my garage says 100K if not more. Just have it changed whenever they do water pump or thermostat.

DopeEffect is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

the steering rack pinion leak should be covered by a recall issued from GM directly. if they charge you for that repair you need to dispute it and show them the TSB. doesn't matter how many miles or how old the car is. if it's a first gen cadillac cts, it's covered. if the dealership says other wise tell them they'll be hearing from your lawyer. fluid flushes are a good thing on a vehicle with this low of mileage. I recently had my coolant flushed (108,000) and it practically destroyed the water pump gasket so I went ahead and replaced the water pump. either way i got 108k on that pump, i'm happy with that. if i could buy my car brand new i would flush the tranny and rear diff every 15 k, brakes every 15, and coolant every 50. i would also keep up with oil changes every 3k (no matter what anyone else tells you on this forum) change it every 3k. timing chain warranty should still be covered on your vehicle for the remainder of this year. hopefully you can get the dealership to replace the shitty oem chaines before they fail.

sorry for the wall of text, i'm drunk. deal with it.

CTSM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07' CTS 3.6L Lux \ V-Sways \StrutBrace\ R1 \ Volant\ Borla

^ What ztollon said.

5 quarts of the best or one of the best oils you can get for this car Mobil 1 EP (extended Performance which is good for 15K miles chaneg intervals with EP filter) go for ~$27 at places like Walmart. AC Delco oil filter is about $8 add $2 for drain plug gasket that's $37 for the best oil and an OEM filter. If you opt for the Mobil 1 EP filter which allows you to do 15K miles oil change intervals with the EP oil, 45K miles of driving your CTS would have cost you only

3 x [$27 (5 quart jug) + $5.5(extra quart) + $12 (EP filter) +$2 (gasket)] = 3 x $46.5= $139.50

Do yourself a favor change your oil yourself next time.

I use Mobil 1 because that's what comes with the car and it's proven, but there are other high quality oils and filters that will do an equally good job too so not advertising them or something but just a good example of dealership pricing vs a DIY job.

Doing your own oil change with top quality synthetic oil and filter on regular intervals will save you loads and keep that engine in tip top shape. Also I might add are you inspecting your oil levels every gas fill up? do that and do not neglect it or next time the dealership will have you in for a $6000 job when you run that engine too low and there will be no mercy shown.

----------

Also concerning coolant flush costing $250 hah!

This weekend I'm changing my radiator completely (precautionary step you guys know what I'm talking about) and changing all the belts and my water pump and water pump gasket and the coolant and all the radiator hoses and changing my transmission fluid and my bill does not top $300 since I'm doing it. You want to take a stab what that would cost at the dealer.....$1000 easy

ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    You can get away with going to a quick lube for most of these except a rack flush (which ive never heard of) you can always do a few power steering flushes and it would be about the same, after all they are both connected. lol the shop im at cost 65.99 for m1 oil change. 69.99 coolant flush 49.99 fuel system flush. And we have the same machines for the job as the stealership. Trans service for our cars runs like $150 but thats pretty adv. Shop around man.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.