2003 cts oil filter cartridge - which end is up?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2003 cts oil filter cartridge - which end is up? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I have drained my oil and located the oil filter and pulled it off. My problem is this, my oil ...
    rborden3245 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

2003 cts oil filter cartridge - which end is up?

I have drained my oil and located the oil filter and pulled it off. My problem is this, my oil filter is the replace cartridge only type. Ok, no big deal until I went to install the new cartridge. The cartridge is flat on one end and the other end has little short legs.
    Which end goes in first? Mind you, the filter in under the car. I am guessing the flat side goes in first, but I am unsure.
    Tanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

holsgo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts

Re: 2003 cts oil filter cartridge - which end is up?

I'm not sure I've seen that. I just slide the filter over the end in the engine side of the case, insert top and done.

You access my oil filter from under the car. Therefore, when you unscrew the filter cover it drops down to the ground. My question is, when you put the new filter cartridge on, I believe the flat end of the filter is the top, hence, that end goes up into the oil filter area first. Then you slide the metal filter cover over this cartridge. My fear is, I do not want to install the cartridge upside down and possibly cause damage to the engine.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Let me guess, when the old one came out you didn't see what way it was?

This is a first for me to see someone ask this question. Wish I worked on the 3.2, but I haven't so in wouldn't have a clue.

Hmm, learn something every day. Didn't know the oil filter looks like this for the 3.2.

Check out the FAQ thread. I recall an oils change for the 3.2 in there.

KOT

Calgary03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Cts Sport Luxury
    Prongs down. They clip into the cartridge. Also, make sure that you pull off the old o-ring on the cartridge. If you have 2 on there, it's like someone opened a tap under your car. About a quart will drain in about 30 seconds. Don't ask how I know that

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Quote Originally Posted by Calgary03
    Prongs down. They clip into the cartridge. Also, make sure that you pull off the old o-ring on the cartridge. If you have 2 on there, it's like someone opened a tap under your car. About a quart will drain in about 30 seconds. Don't ask how I know that
    Oh, so the prongs go into the housing? Flat side towards the engine?

KOT

I install the filter flat side towards engine. That way, the filter will slide onto a small male extension so the filter stays in place while you get the metal casing and screw it on. I am assuming this is correct. The picture posted above showing the filter, well, I installed my filter just the opposite way that filter is standing, flat side up and towards engine and the small legs down towards ground and end of filter cap.

----------

You're right, I did not take note which way filter was installed. I installed the new one with flat side towards engine. I tried putting the filter on with the clips towards engine but it would not stay on. It made more sense to install it with flat side up and prongs down.

I installed the oil filter with flat end up just like image oil filter cropped.jpg

Calgary03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 Cts Sport Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos

Oh, so the prongs go into the housing? Flat side towards the engine?

KOT
    Yup, the prongs clip into the bottom so it stays in place. When I first bought one, I opened the package and got so confused as to how it works. Taking the drain plug out the first time with an extremely subpar tool kit was another story

Thank you all for your time and inputs! Caddy owners are the greatest!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.