04 3.6 auto trans - 5L40E common problems?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 04 3.6 auto trans - 5L40E common problems? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I cant remember the actual name of our trans but what are the most common parts to fail? I know ...
    ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

04 3.6 auto trans - 5L40E common problems?

I cant remember the actual name of our trans but what are the most common parts to fail? I know the trans cooler issue already but what mechanically fails inside the trans if there is a too much power or torque or just over time failure? Anything is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

re: 04 3.6 auto trans - 5L40E common problems?

besides the trans cooler lines, the only other part that fails is the trans mount. the transmission itself is a solid. as long as you change the fluid regularly, make sure it doesn't over heat, and replace the trans mount before it fails, it should last you forever.

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack
    The trans itself is a 5l40e. Mine makes weird noises...not sure how much longer its got left lol

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Quote Originally Posted by Tlorenzen View Post
    The trans itself is a 5l40e. Mine makes weird noises...not sure how much longer its got left lol
    whens the last time you changed the fluid? with as many mods as you have, I would assume you at least knew how to check/change the fluid every 50k or so.

ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Trans and diff are done at 30000ish mile intervals w rp. I found a nice trans cooler on jegs for 49.99 +1qt. thats my next mod. Its been 27 thousand something miles since my last one so its about time.

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were talking to me. ^

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

Quote Originally Posted by DopeEffect View Post
    whens the last time you changed the fluid? with as many mods as you have, I would assume you at least knew how to check/change the fluid every 50k or so.
    I changed my Trans and dif fluid about 10k miles ago. I didn't actually have the car until like 96k miles and as far as I now it had never been changed before then :/ It's never been right since one of Tracy's techs broke the solenoid when he was changing the fluid. It was a little sluggish before then too though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.