Coasting drag or braking?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Coasting drag or braking? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hi everyone, I recently bought an '03 CTS and have been noticing a drag when I coast (especially down a ...
    Jameslp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Coasting drag or braking?

Hi everyone,

I recently bought an '03 CTS and have been noticing a drag when I coast (especially down a hill). The problem is evident when I let off the accelerator. It feels like the brakes are being applied lightly and if I were to not touch the accelerator or brake, I feel like my car would almost come to a stop. I also sometimes hear a clanking sound while this occurs. After some research here, I decided to replace the SWPS (steering wheel position sensor) which I did effectively this morning. This did NOT fix the problem. I do not have any lights on or any codes related to anything. No messages pop up. I am lost with this now. Can anyone help?

Thank you!

-Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

arogers260 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury/Sport package
    I'd check your caliper hardware. Grab the caliper (not right after driving) and see if there is any freeplay.

Planktron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 5M Luxury/Sport: V rear bumper and V exhaust
    Yeah does it pull in a certain direction? Someone also may have over tightened the parking brake. How much travel is in the pedal when you apply the e brake?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Re: Coasting drag or braking?

put it in neutral and see if it still does it. yo will stop engine braking, driveline drag and all that would be left is the braking system or suspension components if there was a issue

on a side note, the steering position sensor, did you do it yourself and how hard and long did it take?
    mine broke 4 yrs ago (maybe 5....) so i just unplugged it but i bought the sensor...

If the caliper moves at all replace the slider pins and boots. The boots are kinda a pita to get in. I just had to replace my hardware on the driverside and eliminated an annoying clank like washers hitting together from the caliper moving around and the brakes seemed to always be dragging on that side also. After this everything was solid like it should be and no more dragging. For parts your looking roughly $20. I put new clips on also

krusty_tc is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Luxury Sport

The automatic transmission does have a "manual feel" when you let off the gas, programs its self to your driving style. That may be it. But that does not explain the clanking sound unless you have a transmission mount worn out, but that would be a clunk I believe (from what I have read).

454Casull is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by arogers260 View Post
    If the caliper moves at all replace the slider pins and boots. The boots are kinda a pita to get in. I just had to replace my hardware on the driverside and eliminated an annoying clank like washers hitting together from the caliper moving around and the brakes seemed to always be dragging on that side also. After this everything was solid like it should be and no more dragging. For parts your looking roughly $20. I put new clips on also
    I think I am going to need a caliper rebuild pretty soon. Do you have any pics of your caliper work?

Quote Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
    I think I am going to need a caliper rebuild pretty soon. Do you have any pics of your caliper work?
    No I didn't take any pics when I did this. Its a pretty simple and straight forward job though. The new boots are just a pita to put in, you'll need a rubber mallet and some patience because you can't get at them very well to give a good whack. To get the old ones out just use a flat head screwdriver or something similar and a hammer to pop them out. Put the slider pins in after but make sure you grease them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.