Blown tranny lines!!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Blown tranny lines!!! in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Ok ya'll lol. I have read the stories about the issues with the tranny lines breaking off the rad. Unfortunately ...
    Blayne is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS sport model/package
    Ok ya'll lol. I have read the stories about the issues with the tranny lines breaking off the rad. Unfortunately I have never really looked into the situation on my car.

Well low and behold, heading out of town for a weekend in Toronto and 30 minutes out of town......you guessed it, blew the tranny line off the rad. Now I have tranny fluid all over my new paint. Getting it towed and taking my Mini Cooper for the trip.

Anyways, what has everyone been using as a new rad? Have you guys been going with the OEM read and new lines? Or going aluminum rad? I need a bit of help. I just want to order the new parts and get it changed. I remember seeing something about a rad with metal tanks instead of plastic.

As soon as the line blew I saw the smoke from the oil hitting the exhaust. I stopped the car in about half a mile, so I am pretty sure that no damage was done to the tranny. I pulled it to the side of the road under its own power and all the oil leaked out when I stopped. So I'm not too worried about tranny issues.

All help is appreciated. I intend on doing major searches later when I get home on Sunday. You guys know I have been here a while and I am pretty active so please don't say go search lmao. I am on a vacation with my wife and don't want to be on the site here for hours.

Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wolframore is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

Re: Blown tranny lines!!!

Check to make sure you didn't mix transmission oil with the coolant. I just got a radiator from Advance Auto... works fine. Re-filling transmission requires all four wheels off the ground, level and running.

Well it isn't the rad that broke, it was just the lower tranny line on the drivers side that jus popped out of the rad. Oil pissed out. Don't see why trans oil would be in the coolant!

Iceman_jd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 3.6 CTS

CTS-V Alradco will work with an aftermarket radiator oil cooler, oil cooler fan optional.

Or plug the old radiator oil cooler fittings and just run the aftermarket rad oil cooler.

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Glad to hear your trans isn't shot. Don't know exactly what I'm supposed to be searching here? I'm assuming you want to know if your trans is broken. I couldn't tell you. I have read many threads about this issue. Some say once you see smoke, it's shot. Others say as long as you pull over once you see smoke you'll be fine.

I also know it depends on where the trans cooler line breaks. I believe there was one member that had his trans line break from underneath his car and he didn't notice it until the ride quality had changed. Even that guy pulled over and saved his transmission.

I also know there was a member that didn't realize it until thick white smoke was blowing out the back of his car. He saved it but it had definitely taken some damage and i'm pretty sure he had to have it rebuilt.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

dealer got me a aftermarket one actually.. made in canada from rads r us i think it was.... just outside of toronto.

but you dont really need a new rad, get a external cooler and plug your rad then call it a day.

The reason I had smoke in back of the car is because I was doing 70mph and the oil that was coming out was going right onto the exhaust and burning right off. I will probably just cap the holes and get an external cooler.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Knock on wood, I havent had trans trouble with mine since the lines failed. Its been 55k miles since it happened (3 winters incl). I wish it wasnt under warranty at the time, so I could have installed a new setup.

Cads4life is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Black 04 3.6L CTS Sport/Luxury - CTS V Front End

Im sorry to hear that. it really sucks. it happen to mine about a month ago. Basically just installed a external cooler. Chopped off the metal bolts on the hoses and connected them straight to a external radiator with hose tighteners. It was easy and quick.Not as expensive and showed some improvement in shifting? i still have the thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ator-line.html

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

just saw performance improvements has tranny coolers in stock.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.