2004 CTS 3.6 Hard to start after fuel filter replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Cadero
  • 1 Post By holsgo
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2004 CTS 3.6 Hard to start after fuel filter replacement in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; On my adventure to solve the slight miss I have at cruising speed and sometimes idle I decided to do ...
    uppercutx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS

2004 CTS 3.6 Hard to start after fuel filter replacement

On my adventure to solve the slight miss I have at cruising speed and sometimes idle I decided to do a little tune up. Replaced all plugs with oem plugs replaced air filter cleaned the maf sensor and replaced intake gaskets. Next on the list was battling the fuel filter with the crappy line tool I have that barely fit the out line.

I replaced the fuel filter and cranked it over and it eventually started up. Ran perfect. Though I still had the miss. For the last 3-4 days now if the car sits for 15 minutes or more it has to crank like 10 times or more to fire up. But when it does it runs just fine. Absolutely no leaks. I thought they gave me the wrong filter. Today I bought a dura last brand. Looked designed a little different on the inside. This time I pulled the fuel pump fuse started it a couple times and made sure the gas was out. This time was a breeze. Put everything together. No leaks. Primed it and car fired right up. It seems to take a little longer now but it still gets hard to start.

Any ideas? I took the intake completely off just to hook up my fuel pressure gauges with a bleed line and bled the line.

Only thing I can think of is the single line that screws into the bolt side of the filter was a little rusted, and stupid me twisting it the wrong way broke it loose. The fitting on the line itself now freely spins but doesn't leak what so ever. Could air be getting in there? I tried my best to tighten it on the filter so that nothing was loose.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadero is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Re: 2004 CTS 3.6 Hard to start after fuel filter replacement

I have the same issue. I just replaced the fuel filter with a Fram filter. It starts on the second try then has a tangible miss for a minute then smooth's out. Runs and drives fine. My next step is to get the fuel pressure checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadero View Post
    I have the same issue. I just replaced the fuel filter with a Fram filter. It starts on the second try then has a tangible miss for a minute then smooth's out. Runs and drives fine. My next step is to get the fuel pressure checked.
    My exact issue. I thought it was the filter. Is your fitting that the filter screws onto loose now? If you key it one or two times it starts normal. Good luck testing pressure. The valve on the fuel rail requires you to remove the entire intake to get to. I was getting plenty of pressure and fuel coming out with the key on but didn't change anything. I'm going to probably give gm a call today or tomorrow and probably have to have it looked at

ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    You are supposed to prime the new filter buy turning just the ignition on like 3-4 times before trying to start it. Idk if it would cause the problem you guys are having but i did mine a month ago and starts perfect everytime.

----------

Hopefully no damage was done to the pump trying to crank it so many times

I thought about that this time around. I let it stall out with the pump relay out. Installed then I primed it several times then started and it fired up. Then waited an hour or two. Went to start it and wasn't primed and had to crank several times. It has to be air in the line or a probablem with the fuel pump only showing up with a new filter. As there are no leaks. Only way I can think air is getting in is by that loose fitting even though it isn't leaking. Have an appointment to drop it off on Thursday morning to have that loomed at and find my miss

ztollon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Sounds like the miss is deffinitly affiliated with the fuel track considering air and spark conponents have have been replaced. And codes or cel?

holsgo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts

I just had mine apart this weekend. Same procedure you used to pull the fuse. I didn't get both quick disconnects off. One was stubborn and I ran outta time. But I did have one QD and the threaded fitting off before reconnecting, fuse in and start. No issues.
    That darn QD is coming loose this weekend one way or another.

I think I have this nailed. I was on a different thread on this forum on a similar topic and some one mentioned the evap purge solenoid. If that is not working correctly the car is going to be hard to start. An easy way to test it is to remove your gas cap and try to start the car. I tried it this morning and the car started like it used to.
    salcuta88 and scooter05 like this.

Interesting. I'm going to try that this morning. Will let you know the results. And could possibly be my miss. I had a misfire cylinder 1 that the check engine light would never stay on for a and a maf low Input. I replaced air filter, cleaned the maf with maf cleaner, replaced all spark plugs and cylinder 1 coil. Still had it. Replaced fuel filter and now have this issue and still the miss. I too had trouble with one of the lines. One is too close to the filter to get a release tool into.

After sitting all night I went to start the car this morning, took the gas cap off, have it no time to prime just turned the keep and it fired up perfect. Is this a definite purge valve issue you think? May also be a cause of the miss?

I'm going to replace the purge valve some time this week. It could also be the evap canister. More likely the valve though. I'm also going to replace the gas cap because it very hard to remove. It could possibly be causing an evap issue as well.

holsgo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 cts

I was documenting removing the filter job in another thread. I welded up some pliers for the fittings that pull the male disconnect tool into the female QD. Hit my photo quota and don't use photobucket so I guess no more pics.
    But, if I hadn't run outta time, the pliers would have had that thing off in no time.
    scooter05 likes this.

Started perfect all day yesterday when removing the gas cap. I have a new purge valve on its way to see if this is the issue or not.

I bought a locking gas cap from autozone. I would have bought the solenoid too but that is a dealer only part. After two days the car seems to start up on the first try.

Quick update. After starting the car all day with the gas cap off it started perfect each time. The next day it started up perfect with the gas cap on and didn't have any trouble for the rest of the week. Yesterday I replace the evap part I ordered. And got the same hard to start issue. Took the gas cap off for a few starts and now its back to normal. Only issue I have now is still the rpm fluctuation and now seems like a shifter bushing has fallen off or something. The shifter is loose feeling and rattles/clunks like metal dangling from something whenever you're moving the shifter back and forth.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.