Desperation post here! The God forsaken ECM problem. P0161C P0058C
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Desperation post here! The God forsaken ECM problem. P0161C P0058C in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Guys, I'm hoping I can get some guidance or at least a little light at the end of my tunnel. ...
    Billwpk7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS

Desperation post here! The God forsaken ECM problem. P0161C P0058C

Guys, I'm hoping I can get some guidance or at least a little light at the end of my tunnel. I have a 2003 cts with 95k miles. I am in desperation mode. I was getting the P0161C and P0058C codes for a few months and was putting it off. From everything I have read thus far - this points to the ECM going bad. It got to the point where my car would not start anymore (is this typical for the ecm going bad?). Here is the kicker, everywhere I tried - including Rippy and GMPartsDirect said that the part is on back order. Supposedly AC Delco sent out a bad batch of these and had to be recalled. The new ECM's will not be ready until LATE SEPTEMBER. I need my car everyday for work, and for a few weeks was spending $$$ on rentals. Finally, as I am in desperation mode - I got on ebay and bought a used ECM. The part that I got was old, prior to the 12581155, but it was the proper ECM, I think it was just the first part #. I had the ECM put in an flashed (about $260 all in). When I picked up the car - the car started, but the P0161C and P0058C codes were still there. I drove it a few times this afternoon. When I went out to drive it an hour ago - same exact problem, it will not start. Did I get another bad ECM or is something else wrong? (Note - when I jump the car, it will run until I turn it off).

I don't really know what to do here, does anybody have any advice, PLEASE?! My fear is that I somehow figure out to get by until late September when I get the new ECM (there is an updated number by the way - the 12581155 is now outdated)...and the car still won't start. Is there something more here then the ECM? Is there any other route I can take to get an ECM? I cannot believe that I can't get my hands on one of these things until late September. Any advice/suggestions are very appreciated. You guys have helped me through a lot of problems - I'm hoping someone can help me here. X Rolls Royce - you seem to be an expert on the ECM problem from what I've read. Got anything for me?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Bill

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Desperation post here! The God forsaken ECM problem. P0161C P0058C

In addition, the seller that I bought the used ECM from on ebay said that it was taken off of a running car. I read somewhere along the way that someone had the same codes and swapped out the wiring harness and this worked. Should I try this or stick with the ECM?

Thanks again guys - any help is very much appreciated. I really do not know what to do here.

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

Have you thoroughly explored the oxygen sensor circuits? That's what these codes relate to. If the codes are still there even with the second ECM, I'd suspect the O2 sensor circuitry. You'll need a factory manual wiring diagram to troubleshoot.

Another option to try would be to find someone near you with a 2003 - stick your old ECM in it and see what happens.

Lastly, you say you have to jump the car... How old is your battery? Have you had it tested? Even if it's newer, it could still go bad (my wife's 18 month old Duralast Gold went bad and stopped starting her car). Battery issues can also show up as strange electrical gremlins.

Quote Originally Posted by cabletech View Post
    Have you thoroughly explored the oxygen sensor circuits? That's what these codes relate to. If the codes are still there even with the second ECM, I'd suspect the O2 sensor circuitry. You'll need a factory manual wiring diagram to troubleshoot.

Another option to try would be to find someone near you with a 2003 - stick your old ECM in it and see what happens.

Lastly, you say you have to jump the car... How old is your battery? Have you had it tested? Even if it's newer, it could still go bad (my wife's 18 month old Duralast Gold went bad and stopped starting her car). Battery issues can also show up as strange electrical gremlins.

cabletech - Thanks for the advice. I will try and look into the 02 sensor circuitry. I don't know if I would be willing to put the ecm into another 03 and pay to have it flashed in order to test it out. As far as the battery, I had it tested at a Pep Boys a week ago and it is good.

Thank you for the input.

Now my car is just going crazy. Today - Low Voltage, Service Charging System, Service Electrical System, Battery Saver Active, ABS, and traction control lights on the dashboard. Had to jump it after my softball game - started up, made it about 3 blocks and everything shut off and the car puttered home completely black (all dashboard lights shut off). I'm starting to think this is a lost cause. I don't even know where to begin. Looking for some help from X Rolls Royce here although I haven't seen him post recently.

Anybody have any suggestions on where to start?

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

Battery or battery cables. Make sure all battery cable connections (both ends, not just battery terminals) are tight and clean.

aaronhart2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

My car is doing about the same. New battery and new alternator. After new alternator install now I get service charging system and battery light is on. After I start it the radio will come on for about 10 seconds and shut off along with the dash lights and gages. Not sure what to do next. Any help? Thanks

ctsbboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Sounds like you have a bad ground somewhere. Check battery cables really well. They can look good & tight but really not be. Double check the metal part inside the rubber circle to make sure its not being covered up by the rubber casing. Also you might wanna check your BCM. It controls a lot of electrical parts & communicates with the ECM. A failure to communicate between either one can cause serious electrical issues.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.