Please make the vibration stop
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hrpatel17926
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Please make the vibration stop in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Guys I have an 07 3.6 with about 55k. I have 2 sets of tires and rims one is 16 ...
    hrpatel17926 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS, 2007 ESV

Please make the vibration stop

Guys I have an 07 3.6 with about 55k. I have 2 sets of tires and rims one is 16 with Michelin pilots and the other is 18" with Yokohama, had conti DWS, both factory rims with brand new tires. Now for the life of me I cannot get the cold vibration to go away. I have had the tire shop balance then road force and balance again then had them switch out tires to another brand. The new tires are better with no road noise but the dang vibration is still there. Also did alignment and had them check suspension parts they say its tight and in good shape.

First I though it was the tires flat spotting over night, but it happens even when the car sits for only a few hours, worse when its below 70.

I have checked the flex disks and tranny mount all look good with no cracks or any sort of visible wear or damage.

Could it be the drive shaft that may be bad? I am at my wits end with this vibration, enough to sell this car.

I enjoy driving it like no other but I have to get this solved.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Firewalker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6l

Re: Please make the vibration stop

I had the same vibration, drove me crazy. Ultimately, it was a result of a flex disc, or guibo that was not torqued properly. It looked ok but the tech replaced the bolts and re-torqued and all is smooth again.

If you are getting the vibration at certain speeds only, then I would check that out!

poncho89 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS- V

Ditto what Firewalker said, I had the same exact problem you are describing and went through all the same fixes and it was exactly the same thing he described. Even though it looks Ok to the naked eye, the bolts may not be as tight as they should be and need to be re-torqued. Incidentally, I have the same year and mileage as your car as well.

CSTech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by hrpatel17926 View Post
    I have checked the flex disks and tranny mount all look good with no cracks or any sort of visible wear or damage.
    Visibly, you won't be able to see a worn/sagging tranny mount. 2 1/8" - 2 1/4" height should be acceptable.
    Jordan @ Creative Steel Inc.

503-316-1811
    Open M-F 8:00-5:00 PST
    Jordan@creative-steel.com

Check us out at: http://www.creative-steel.com
    We're on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Creat...39612609499435

Thanks guys I will check the bolts and tranny mount. By chance does anyone know the torque specs?

JGusmc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6

Rear Propeller Shaft Coupling Replacement
    Callout
    Component Name
    Preliminary Procedure
    Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle
    Remove the rear propeller shaft and install in a suitable holding fixture. Refer to Rear Propeller Shaft Replacement
    Rear Propeller Shaft Nut (Qty: 3)
    Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice.
    Tighten
    85 Y (63 lb ft)
    Rear Propeller Shaft Washers (Qty: 3)
    Rear Propeller Shaft Bolt (Qty: 3)
    Rear Propeller Shaft Coupling

Straight from GM Service Information manual the front and rear are the same torque specs ......hope this helps!

ice berg slim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L

It's such a good vibration. It's such a sweeeeeeet sen-sa-tion

Much appreciated, I will play the song as I re-torque. Marki Mark and the funky bunch. Old school. Lol
    ice berg slim likes this.

ice berg slim is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 2.8L

Quote Originally Posted by hrpatel17926 View Post
    Much appreciated, I will play the song as I re-torque. Marki Mark and the funky bunch. Old school. Lol
    Throwback thursday my friend did you get the good vibrations to stop?

Not yet hopefully this weekend. I will keep everyone posted

Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

be sure to. I'm getting a steering wheel vibration sometimes when doing 45 and then just a vibration when get over 90... Looks like I'll have work to do comin up haha.

Snake Enterprises is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6L

Yeah I'll be tackling this in the next week or so. I will update as well

caddyshack33 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS 3.2 5-spd Manual
    You have my sympathy. Chased down a vibration for well over a year, maybe two. It was strangely intermittent between 45-60 (steering wheel shake). New tires, wouldnt matter if tires rotated, etc. Replaced flex disc, shimmed trans mount, multiple balancing (including hunter road force), etc...nothing worked and was fed up and ready to dump the car, but gave a last shot at a friend's trusted mechanic who worked on mostly gm cars. He did a REAL balance job--and now it's been 95% gone for months! I can live with the 5% compared to what it was. Total cost: $40. Relief: priceless.

Don't ask me why the numerous techs who worked on my car never got the balance right and this one guy did. Maybe the CTS is especially sensitive. Maybe I should have kept taking the car back again and again insisting that they get it right the first time. Whatever, it's fixed, and now I can switch to obsessing about other things that now drive me crazy (infamous clunk, sticky reverse, etc.). Good luck.

Teedoe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS Base
    I have an aggrevating vibration too. Ima tackle it next weekend with a balance and driveshaft shimmy by a certified Cadillac Tech. I hope this elevates the annoying vibration I get when driving 45+mph

OK guys took my car to the dealer to have them give me some options for the vibration, I just don't have the time to mess with it anymore. Long And short they will give me a new drive shaft with new center bearings and flex disks for 630 plus install not sure who's flex disk that are using. Plus new tranny mount and a rear tranny seal fix all for 1100. Good deal? Opinions

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.