Timing Chain repair / replacement on 05 CTS 3.6L problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Timing Chain repair / replacement on 05 CTS 3.6L problems in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello- I have an 05 CTS with the 3.6. The engine started to chatter, and i the dealer suggested replacing ...
    bowser1724 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS 3.6, 06 DTS

Timing Chain repair / replacement on 05 CTS 3.6L problems

Hello-

I have an 05 CTS with the 3.6. The engine started to chatter, and i the dealer suggested replacing the timing chaing before it broke causing more problems (bent valves and such). I researched this issue and I decided that it was worth replacing the timing chain. I did not have the experience or time or desire to do it, so i brought it back to the dealer. The dealer then called a few days later and said there was bad news, and that some pipe that was rusty broke while they were moving it. Unfortunately the service advisor didn't seem to know enough to explain it in detail, but he said the part runs from the front of the car all the way to the back. He said that in order to access the timing chain they had to move this pipe off to the side. He said "coolant pipe" at one point. So i dont know what part they are talking about but he quoted me $85 for the part, and 4 hrs of labor. Before i return to the dealer, and before i pay, i would like to hear opinions on what this part is, and if they should be moving / bending it to work on the timing chain. My thought is that maybe they took a shortcut and ended up breaking something they would not have if the job was done properly? Maybe this is just a bad stroke of luck, and its not their fault. Let me know what you think. Sorry if this is too vague. Any comments are appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dageiron is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS V6
    I just had my timing chain replaced about 6 months ago (100k miles) I have the same CTS year / engine. Not sure what they broke but if they broke it you shouldn't have to pay to replace or install it. Sounds pretty unfair to me.

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

Re: Timing Chain repair / replacement on 05 CTS 3.6L problems

And this is how the dealer gets you over a barrel and takes an extra $500 from you. 4 hours? They can have an engine out in under 4 hours. Negotiate on that point. That's probably book. You shouldn't be dealing with book labor on this part since they broke it.

Breakage happens - all the time, especially on cars that have been on the road for a while. But you deserve a full and detailed explanation of what broke, how it broke, view the broken part, and a discount on the labor.

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    First off if the pipe even looked questionable they should have called you and told you the possibilities. Since they didn't tell you what they were working with I would tell them there is no way your paying for 4 hours labor. I work at a shop and that is what we would do if it looked iffy, so they customer knows the chances. Find out exactly what it is that broke and tell them you'll be in for them to show you what broke before you authorize any additional repairs.

bowser1724 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS 3.6, 06 DTS

Re: Timing Chain repair / replacement on 05 CTS 3.6L problems

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately i just didn't have time or knowledge to argue this. I can see the part that was replaced, but only the front part of it that connects to a rubber hose into the radiator. I cant tell where the other end goes. The part is black. I can tell its new. When i called the back they still couldn't give me a good explaination. I'll post more if i ever get anywhere as a tip to anyone else who might run into this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.