maybe a silly question about a cold air intake but.....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, maybe a silly question about a cold air intake but..... in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; i searched and saw a ton of cai for an engine with only one throttle body? my engine has 2? ...
    scooter05 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 cts

maybe a silly question about a cold air intake but.....

i searched and saw a ton of cai for an engine with only one throttle body? my engine has 2?
    and a ton of stuff on the drop down tubes i am unfamiliar with. i have always added cai in other cars like audi, isuzu, nissan, toyota. this one has me a bit confused. anybody have this duel inlet with a cai install. thank you

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...1&d=1376117277
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You realize the car already has a CAI, right?

Cone filters under the hood are HOT air intakes, which equate to LESS power.

Re: maybe a silly question about a cold air intake but.....

no... i assume that is the stock intake. i was wondering because i am not familiar with this layout of tubing and valves leading to the tb. i can wrap the black down tubes in a insulated heatshield to help keep air separate from the engine and radiator. are you saying with this current set up i could just replace the air filter and have the same effect as the whole kit? most times my other cai. are located behind the bumper in front of the wheel well out of the engine bay. it is the way for my maxima and my audi.
    thanks for the info, that is why i ask .

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    You realize the car already has a CAI, right?

Cone filters under the hood are HOT air intakes, which equate to LESS power.

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter05 View Post
    no... i assume that is the stock intake. i was wondering because i am not familiar with this layout of tubing and valves leading to the tb. i can wrap the black down tubes in a insulated heatshield to help keep air separate from the engine and radiator. are you saying with this current set up i could just replace the air filter and have the same effect as the whole kit? most times my other cai. are located behind the bumper in front of the wheel well out of the engine bay. it is the way for my maxima and my audi.
    thanks for the info, that is why i ask .
    It is the stock intake, but caddy has always done a good job of making their stock ones as close to cai as possible. The aftermarket ones will be similar. With what they will say is less restrictive flow

In most cases, if the engine is stock, with relatively low output, the stock intake can flow more air than the engine can use at WOT, at redline.

If by change the air filter, you mean switching to a K&N (or similar oiled filter), don't bother. You won't gain any performance or fuel mileage, and they flow more dirt, and pack up 3 times as fast.

Heat wrap won't hurt.

coreybug is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts, silver with sport package, 3.6, 08 SRX

Are you saying a cai won't really help that much? I have an 04 cts 3.6 like yours and I was considering putting a cai on it. Do you have one on yours?

I'm saying that in most low performance, unmodded applications, an after market CAI will do nothing.

Under hood bling and maybe some induction noise? Sure. If that's worth the price to you, go for it. Just make sure it draws air from OUTSIDE the engine compartment.

I don't have a CTS, I have a Seville STS. No after market intakes available, but I wouldn't buy one anyway. There is a K&N stock replacement filter available, but I'm not spending money for no power or economy gain, and to allow more dirt into the cylinders.

Jim's 06 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I'm saying that in most low performance, unmodded applications, an after market CAI will do nothing.

Under hood bling and maybe some induction noise? Sure. If that's worth the price to you, go for it. Just make sure it draws air from OUTSIDE the engine compartment.

I don't have a CTS, I have a Seville STS. No after market intakes available, but I wouldn't buy one anyway. There is a K&N stock replacement filter available, but I'm not spending money for no power or economy gain, and to allow more dirt into the cylinders.
    At last-- a voice of reason on the CAI issue. Let's admit it: it's all about induction sound and maybe a little WOT benefit.

yes i agree to a certain extent. i have this from k&n for the stock 2003/3.2l. if in combination with a better exhaust it makes good sense. if i remember right for each 100 lbs of weight reduction is equal to about 10-hp increase etc. or 10-hp increase is equal to 100lb weight loss. i will have to see how the intake can be put outside of the engine bay. thank you for your thoughts. i will let the good folks know what i can come up with.

Screen Shot 2013-08-11 at 11.51.47 AM.png

coreybug is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts, silver with sport package, 3.6, 08 SRX

Hey brother, thanks. That's what I thought but wasn"t sure. You just saved me money! Thanks again.

i am going to investigate a tube going into the space between the wheel well and fender. i had to do something like that for my maxima. if it is done right it is good as gold. my biggest obstacle is the carb emission hoops in california.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.