Check Gas Cap.....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Check Gas Cap..... in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I've recently added an '03 CTS to my small humble collection. The car drives great and performs very well, however, ...
    tristar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Cool Check Gas Cap.....

I've recently added an '03 CTS to my small humble collection. The car drives great and performs very well, however, the check gas cap light came on yesterday. So off I went to get a new one installed it and now I can't get the darn light to go out. Is there a reset button somewhere or is this a dealer option? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm kinda new to the Cadillac brand, hoping it's not as complicated as my Mercedes. Thanks for the input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Why did you replace the cap? The message said to check it. A simple removal and reinsert would of worked. Then a few power cycles and several mile drive would of cleared the message and/or code.

This is true for all makes.

KOT

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    I replaced mine as well when I kept getting the message and the seal was dry rotted. If you replaced it without a GM cap throw it away and go get a GM gas cap. There $16 and will fix your problem, I've seen to many aftermarket caps not fix the problem.

Oh, removing the cap while the engine is running can produce the code. Not all the time but just at the "right time" it can. What happens is that the ECM tests the vacuum of the gas tank. If there the pressure is off, because of the cap being off, the Check Gas Cap will show up.

KOT

tristar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: Check Gas Cap.....

Thank you for your input, I very much appreciate it. When I removed the original cap and did some examining, I noticed the seal was dry and cracked. So I replaced it with a new one from my local parts store. I am now headed to the dealer to get an oem. Should have done that first hand.
    Are there any other problems I should be aware of for future references? Thanks -a- bunch.

Re: Check Gas Cap.....

What year and size engine do you have?

KOT

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.