3.6L Oil Change Pictoral - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 3.6L Oil Change Pictoral in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; And don't get me started on why I was changing my oil with a Rolex on my wrist........
    Kenno540 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

Re: 3.6L Oil Change Pictoral

And don't get me started on why I was changing my oil with a Rolex on my wrist.....

Big_Ed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 Black

FYI - I just picked up a deal at Advance Auto Parts for Oil. 5 qts of Mobil1 plus a Mobil1 oil filter for $27.99 US. The only problem is that they either don't make or don't carry a Mobil1 oil filter for the CTS. So I picked up 10qts and two filters for my wife's car. The Purolator for the CTS is only $5.49 anyway.

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ed View Post
    FYI - I just picked up a deal at Advance Auto Parts for Oil. 5 qts of Mobil1 plus a Mobil1 oil filter for $27.99 US. The only problem is that they either don't make or don't carry a Mobil1 oil filter for the CTS. So I picked up 10qts and two filters for my wife's car. The Purolator for the CTS is only $5.49 anyway.
    Hey,

I did the same thing today. The guys at Advance Auto Parts adjusted the price of the purolator for me so, I still got the deal. 26.99 was my price I think.

andrewschenk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k

what filters are you guys using/ would you recommend? ive been 3 places and can only find Fram filters, i was at Napa today and totally forgot to see what they had
    im going to change my oil for the first time tomorrow and i dont want to get some POS filter...

thanks!

airportwv is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 2006 2002 SLS AN BMW R1100RT

replaced my drain plug with OIL DRAIN VALVE PART #F107 TIGHTEN WITH CRESCENT WRENCH TO DRAIN LIFT CONTROL LEVER AN TURN 90COUNTER CLOCKWISE TO CLOSE SIMPLEY TURN THE LEVER CLOCKWISE 90 UNTIL LOCKED IN ORGINAL POSITION YOU CAN BUY THIS AT FUMOTO ENGINEERING OF AMERICA BELLEVUE WA

Longsnapper52 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS Thunder Gray

I just changed my oil for the first time. With all the talk about failed timing chains, it got me thinking. If I am ever asked for proof of maintenance during a warranty claim, do I keep my Walmart receipts to show that I purchased oil and did the work myself? Is that acceptable proof?

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

longsnapper...yes that is sufficient proof

Quote Originally Posted by andrewschenk View Post
    what filters are you guys using/ would you recommend? ive been 3 places and can only find Fram filters, i was at Napa today and totally forgot to see what they had
    im going to change my oil for the first time tomorrow and i dont want to get some POS filter...

thanks!
    I used the AC Delco Filter PF2129

I assume that you can't go wrong with the GM filter. I found mine at Pep Boys. But I think the Walmarts in the US stock them, not sure about Canada.

andrewschenk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6-Volant CAI, V-exhaust, LED swap, Clear DRL, 6000k

Quote Originally Posted by Longsnapper52 View Post
    I just changed my oil for the first time. With all the talk about failed timing chains, it got me thinking. If I am ever asked for proof of maintenance during a warranty claim, do I keep my Walmart receipts to show that I purchased oil and did the work myself? Is that acceptable proof?
    i write down the mileage and OLM % on the back of the receipt

Quote Originally Posted by andrewschenk View Post
    i write down the mileage and OLM % on the back of the receipt
    I hate it when receipts fade over time, so I ended up putting my receipts on the copier. Then on the copied page, I wrote the oil type, filter type, mileage, and miles since last change. I then stapled the original receipts to the back of that page. Should be a pretty good system if they are ever needed. Gahd that would suck to get called out for poor maintenance just because I lost the receipts. But seriously, I just saved $70 and bought some almost new V sway bars with the difference.

BTW, if anyone is curious, 5 Qts. of Mobil 1 at WalMart is $21.00, plus one extra qt. for $6.00, AC Delco filter at Pep Boys for $7.99. Great deal.

2007CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007CTS3.6L

This thread is the best one for CTS oil change. Up.

Sadman1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

Has anyone ever broken the oil filter canister? I snapped the nut off the top of the canister housing, and have had no luck in removing it. I have tried oil filter wrenches(3 different kinds), pipe wrench, strap wrench, and channel locks. Either I can't get enough of the wrench on the housing or it just slips off. Any suggestions??

aideneverett is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6L ~Black Mamba~

So what oil filter does everyone recommend, or should I say Cadillac recommends? Is the oem AC Delco, right? Also, what if I do not have a torque wrench? Can I just tighten them down real well and I'll be fine? Thanks fellas!

On this thread it states the torgue guidlines are the same, however, on the cadillac faq it state these:

Torque specs:

The oil pan drain plug is 20 Nm or 15 lb ft
    The oil filter cap is 25 Nm or 18 lb in.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...nge/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by aideneverett View Post
    So what oil filter does everyone recommend, or should I say Cadillac recommends? Is the oem AC Delco, right? Also, what if I do not have a torque wrench? Can I just tighten them down real well and I'll be fine? Thanks fellas!

On this thread it states the torgue guidlines are the same, however, on the cadillac faq it state these:

Torque specs:

The oil pan drain plug is 20 Nm or 15 lb ft
    The oil filter cap is 25 Nm or 18 lb in.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...nge/index.html
    Now that we are on the subject....Costco has a $9 off coupon for 6 quarts of Mobil1. That ends up being a pretty nice deal.

As far as the oil filter I always use AC Delco. I get it for about $7 at Pep Boys. I like to keep it as OEM as possible...call it superstition.

As far as the torque specs. I do torque the oil filter housing to the proper 18 lbs. I don't want to be like Sadman1 in the post before yours That thing is a be-otch if it is over-tight.

But for the drain plug, it's too tough for me to get the wrench under their, so I hand tighten it, being careful not to cross-thread and then snug it up a turn or two with my socket wrench. Plenty tight. It can't hurt to check your work a few hours later to make sure you aren't leaking though.

aideneverett is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 3.6L ~Black Mamba~

Thank you very much!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.