3.6L Oil Change Pictoral - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 3.6L Oil Change Pictoral in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Now I know GM puts mobil 1 from the factory.. and they say to use synthetic.. but if I choose ...
    dubeiram is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L VVT 6 speed manual

Re: 3.6L Oil Change Pictoral

Now I know GM puts mobil 1 from the factory.. and they say to use synthetic.. but if I choose to say use Castrol GTX for oil changes... Im not voiding the warrantee.. am I?? GTX has worked fine for me for decades....

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Yes you would have warranty problems if you used that oil, its not good enough. You must use synthetic oil.

I don't think any of that brand meet the GM spec's. The GTX for sure doesn't because its not synthetic. I don't see Syntec list that spec on the data sheet either. Oils that meet the GM4718M spec will list it on the bottle.

From the owners manual.

GM4718M
    Your vehicle’s engine requires a special oil meeting
    GM Standard GM4718M. Oils meeting this
    standard may be identified as synthetic. However,
    not all synthetic oils will meet this GM standard.
    You should look for and use only an oil that meets
    GM Standard GM4718M.
    Notice: If you use oils that do not have the
    GM4718M Standard designation, you can cause
    engine damage not covered by your warranty.

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L / 09 CBR 600rr - Bazzaz tuned

Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    I know wal-mart regular sales for a 5L of mobil 1 is 38$ + tax. They only sale 5Liters no 4.4L. I go at the dealer for my oil filter: Ac Delco PF2129F.

the car holds 5.7L of oil and for the drain plug, I do the same thing as you, I turn left the wheels so I can slip my arm throug there and take off the drain plug. No need to lift the car. For the oil filter, its on top of the engine, to his right side when stand in front of the vehicule. You can find some picture around here to see how 3.6L guys we change our oil filter.. very very easy, no mess, no drip, no burn at all!
    ya i know yours is right on top...luckey. that makes it sooo much easier.
    i cant believe yours holds 5.7L... thats a lotta oil.
    i thought walmart was more $ than that.. ima start just buyin mine there, 1 jug will do the change 4 me.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

GM4718M is General Motors' High Performance engine oil specification. Oils which meet GM4718M tend to be made from synthetic base stocks, so it is often referred to as a "synthetic" specification.

However, not all oils, synthetic or otherwise, are capable of meeting the stringent requirements of GM4718M.

dubeiram is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L VVT 6 speed manual

Quote Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
    Yes you would have warranty problems if you used that oil, its not good enough. You must use synthetic oil.

I don't think any of that brand meet the GM spec's. The GTX for sure doesn't because its not synthetic. I don't see Syntec list that spec on the data sheet either. Oils that meet the GM4718M spec will list it on the bottle.

From the owners manual.
    Thank Z71 for the info... however .. practically speaking I highly doubt the GTX would not be good enough to properly lubricate the V6... but not worth taking chances...synthetic it is.....

camtow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

This article was awesome, thanks! Just what I was looking for online. Here I am three years later in Sept 2008, and just as I am trying to do the change the first time myself on my 2004 and I found your pictorial. Mine still only has 12,500 miles on it, only driven on unsalted roads, never in snow. (It was a present to myself after a wedding was cancelled, I'm pretty fortunate and thankful that way).

Best Regards,
    cam

silver bullet is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS Lux/Sport

Quote Originally Posted by tmtran44 View Post
    stupid question coming.... after the DIY oil change, does the computer automatically detects the new oil and change the specs to reflect the next oil change? thanks
    The computer doesn't know what you put in there it could be water, all it does is keep track of the way the car is driven. Milage temp starts and stops ect You have to reset the oil life yourself.

tsdgalloway is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac - '05 CTS

Excellent post, great pics, this will be a snap.

Two questions:
    1) What does 'extra's' does the dealer do (I hear lube the chassis...are there many grease zerts that need serviced?)
    2) Will this in any way void my 100K Bumper-to-bumper warranty my previous owner was so gracious to purchase?

jgalon04 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I attempted last weekend and it went ok. The freakin things were on there good, but I got a torque wrench and had to jack up the right side to get the angle I needed. It was pretty clean though which was great...

mikes2nd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

What about using a vacuum changer? Then you wouldnt even need to get under the car at all?

like these

http://www.amazon.com/tag/vacuum%20o...hanging%20pump

i have a different model that sticks way down below into the oil pan, I am just wondering if I can get to the bottom of the oil pan through the dipstick tube.

417Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS

I am needing help tried to change my oil this weekend and I can not get the oil filter canister lid off. It is on there. Any ideas on how to take it off. I don't want to break the brackets hole the canister my pushing to hard.

I bought the car a week ago and now have found that the transmission is leaking from around the drive shaft. Cadillac said it would be 300.00 to replace the seals inside the housing.

But anyway can anyone help with removing this lid?

Big_Ed is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 Black

I finally did it! It took a couple of attempts and the right combination of tools to get it done. I needed a 1/2 drive breaker bar and had to jack the right side of the car up a little bit to get the drain plug loose. Same problem with the oil filter canister. These things were on tight!! I had to use the breaker bar with a 1/2" drive 5" extension (I had a 3/8 drive ratchet and extension, but I wasn't getting enough ooomph out of it, so it required a trip to the hardware store). Once the filter canister finally budged, you could then unscrew it by hand.

Should be a piece of cake next time; 15-20 minutes tops.

Kenno540 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS

Apparently there are many people whose cars have the oil drain plug and filter housing torqued to an unbelievable degree. Me included. When I first tried to loosen both they Would. Not. Budge.

To loosen the drain I wound up having to jack up the car high enough to get under there and, using an 18" breaker bar, apply a ton of pressure to get it loose.

With the filter housing the breaker bar had to be deployed with both hands pulling. Finally broke loose. Oh, and don't wear a watch with a metal band, because when the housing finally broke loose my hands flew up against the fender edge, with my watch band scraping along the fender edge. Pissed me off.

AmericanMuscle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Good reasons to always perform your own oil changes - it is less expensive, not that difficult and you won't over torque the drain plug or filter canister. The shop manual calls for light torque, but I have found that both the drain plug and filter canister have a hard stop after tightening. I simply stop trying to tighten once it hits the hard stop and find that I don't experience frozen or frustratingly tight plug and canister issues when needing to change oil the next time.

txbest1980 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"

Quote Originally Posted by Kenno540 View Post
    Oh, and don't wear a watch with a metal band, because when the housing finally broke loose my hands flew up against the fender edge, with my watch band scraping along the fender edge. Pissed me off.
    this is why uncle sam bans us from wearing jewelry while working on million dollar jets. along with people losing fingers over there wedding ring getting caught somewhere it shouldnt be...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.