3.6L Oil Change Pictoral - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 3.6L Oil Change Pictoral in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; The oil change on the CTS 3.6 is the most easy one I have ever done, of any vehicle I ...
    RICADDYMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

Re: 3.6L Oil Change Pictoral

The oil change on the CTS 3.6 is the most easy one I have ever done, of any vehicle I owned, I drive her up onto my Low Profile Rhino-Ramps, change the oil filter, drain out old oil, refill w/6 Qts, Mobil 1 5w30, & reset DIC......for about $40.00, you can't beat it......I can do the job in about 10-15 Mins, then I bring old oil to Pep Boys & they take it no problem......

Frank Dzierzewski is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I have a V6 2006 SRX AWD and I;m not sure where the engine oil drain plug is can someone help Thanks

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Dzierzewski View Post
    I have a V6 2006 SRX AWD and I;m not sure where the engine oil drain plug is can someone help Thanks
    ask in the SRX forum. this is the CTS forum

mrplow2k69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6 Black on Black

I know this might sound stupid but which way to you turn the canister to take it off? I know there is an arrow on top of the cap that points the wrong way and i dont want to crany it one way and be wrong and tear the aluminum off it!

Is it clockwise or counter-clockwise to LOOSEN?

louiefl99 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe

Righty - tighty, lefty loosey. Turn it counterclockwise to loosen (same as the drain plug). The arrow is in the direction to tighten (also withthe torque 25 N-m). You can use either a 24 mm socket or 15/16".

The 2008 uses the same filter / drain plug as the previous 3.6L, but there is a shroud under the engine that needs to be removed (4 screws and a few push clips) and the upper engine cover needs to be lifted to take the filter out. Probably adds 30 minutes to an otherwise simple oil change.

I'll post a new thread for this in a month or so when I change the oil on my new car.

tmtran44 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 3.6 CTS

stupid question coming.... after the DIY oil change, does the computer automatically detects the new oil and change the specs to reflect the next oil change? thanks

Spyke is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT

i'll try to change it myself in 2 weeks! Last week, I went to the dealer just for little question: what type of oil did you put in my car? 10w30. Synthetic or regular? Regular why? Nahhh nothing, just by curiosity, tks!! So I'll wait til I have 5000km made with the actual oil before changing it but after that, I'll put back synthetic!

But you're talking around 30-35$ for 6 qts of oil!!!!! Here its 40$ just for a 4.4L so I'll need approx. for 60$ of oil.... where in canada, can I find a place where I dont have to give my wallet for an oil change?! Tks!

87vertgt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cts

I pay about $50 bucks for my oil change....looks dam easy...I am gonna start doing my own......Unless its cold outside...

just did mine by myself last friday.. took 23 minutes to be exact! Very easy in fact! Cost here in Canada to do it myself (oil +filter) 74.50$ ax incl. Dealer wanted 135$ + tax + letting my car all day at the dealer...

Tks to all of you guys!

MoFex is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

On my previous car I installed Fumoto Valve - follow this link and you will see what it is: http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Pr...uctCode=F107NA

I have CTS 08 with DI engine. It seems that to get to the oil plug I will need to remove a plastic cover underneath the car. If I could install the Fumoto valve I could connect a short tube and drain the oil without any mess. It works on my Infiniti....anybody out there tried this valve?

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tmtran44 View Post
    stupid question coming.... after the DIY oil change, does the computer automatically detects the new oil and change the specs to reflect the next oil change? thanks
    Nope. You have to manually reset it.

the cadillac kid is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): > BMUU

listen to the chick, you gotta hold the reset or clear (CLR) button

MoFex is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    On my previous car I installed Fumoto Valve - follow this link and you will see what it is: http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Pr...uctCode=F107NA

I have CTS 08 with DI engine. It seems that to get to the oil plug I will need to remove a plastic cover underneath the car. If I could install the Fumoto valve I could connect a short tube and drain the oil without any mess. It works on my Infiniti....anybody out there tried this valve?

Nobody?

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

Quote Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
    i'll try to change it myself in 2 weeks! Last week, I went to the dealer just for little question: what type of oil did you put in my car? 10w30. Synthetic or regular? Regular why? Nahhh nothing, just by curiosity, tks!! So I'll wait til I have 5000km made with the actual oil before changing it but after that, I'll put back synthetic!

But you're talking around 30-35$ for 6 qts of oil!!!!! Here its 40$ just for a 4.4L so I'll need approx. for 60$ of oil.... where in canada, can I find a place where I dont have to give my wallet for an oil change?! Tks!
    when you see canadian tire have a sale on mobil 1 buy it, i got 2 - 4.4L + a 1L for 90 with tax this week. thats 2 oil changes. im gonna keep lookin for sales and buy enough for 2 changes at a time.
    my 3.2 takes 4.8L so this works out perfect for me, im not sure what the 3.6 takes.

btw the oil change on the 3.2 isnt that messy at all, i think its a caravan that the oil filter is next to the exhaust and towards the front is the worst, i useto work at mr lube and i burned my arm on those soooo manny times.vw's are stupid too, i think it was the mid 90's disel that was under the headers/exhaust manifold.
    i had my drain plug changed from the torques to a regualr wrench drain plug, didnt use the oil filter drain, i just took it off and let it fall in the drain pan,
    the cts is 2 low to put on my ramps without removing the bumper so insted i put 2 wheels on the curb and just went at it, perfect height just make sure you have it so the high side of the car is the opposit of the drain plug on your oil pan.
    to be honest the only tool i used on the oil change was a mastercraft adjustable wrench, used it on the drain plug and filter cover, no issues.

does the 3.6 take the same filter as the cavi/colbolt ecotech? looks like it.

I know wal-mart regular sales for a 5L of mobil 1 is 38$ + tax. They only sale 5Liters no 4.4L. I go at the dealer for my oil filter: Ac Delco PF2129F.

the car holds 5.7L of oil and for the drain plug, I do the same thing as you, I turn left the wheels so I can slip my arm throug there and take off the drain plug. No need to lift the car. For the oil filter, its on top of the engine, to his right side when stand in front of the vehicule. You can find some picture around here to see how 3.6L guys we change our oil filter.. very very easy, no mess, no drip, no burn at all!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.