Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Statesman 
#1 ·
In attempting to change my oil, I tried using my 3/8 T45 socket, on the oil pan plug. There wasn't enough room to use the ratchet. What wrench should I be using?

#2 ·
Statesman said:
In attempting to change my oil, I tried using my 3/8 T45 socket, on the oil pan plug. There wasn't enough room to use the ratchet. What wrench should I be using?
don't know how much room you have but when i need a tool for a project b/c of space i go to my dealer for craftsman. I know what size socket i need but i am cramped for space they make wrenches for this specfic problem. You might only need an adaptor to make the extension bend. who knows sounds like you need to go do some tool shopping. that's a great thing.

#3 ·
JJhomer83 said:
don't know how much room you have but when i need a tool for a project b/c of space i go to my dealer for craftsman. I know what size socket i need but i am cramped for space they make wrenches for this specfic problem. You might only need an adaptor to make the extension bend. who knows sounds like you need to go do some tool shopping. that's a great thing.
I have a good idea of what the tool would need to look like. A swivel would not work. However, a hex wrench type shape or offset ratchet with T45 bit would. I did go to Sears but didn’t see anything displayed that would work. I don’t think this is a special wrench, just one I don’t have. I’ll try Sear’s again next time asking a sales person and hope for the best. If it’s an offset type wrench then there is a question of torque.

#4 ·
Statesman said:
I have a good idea of what the tool would need to look like. A swivel would not work. However, a hex wrench type shape or offset ratchet with T45 bit would. I did go to Sears but didn’t see anything displayed that would work. I don’t think this is a special wrench, just one I don’t have. I’ll try Sear’s again next time asking a sales person and hope for the best. If it’s an offset type wrench then there is a question of torque.
I don't think that you should have a problem with the torque of the wrench its only the oil pan screw. They aren't on there that tight. As long as you spend quality money on the tool you have nothing to worry about

#6 ·
cadfan said:
Get a snap-on t45 and grind or cut it down to size to use w/small breaker bar. Thats what I got. Works great
I have tried cutting bits to work with an off set wrench before. With a standard hacksaw forget it, I hardly made a dent. I don't have access to a grinder. I wonder what the guys at Jiffy Lube use? I think a T45 bit and offset wrench is the answer, I 'll have to keep looking.

#7 ·
Statesman said:
invest in a nice set of ramps.
low priced item at pep boys. this way you can easily gst car high enough to use regular box wrench.
good luck
charlie

#8 ·
Thanks for all your advice. As I suspected you didn’t need a special wrench for this procedure. I went to Sears a second time and bought a 3/8-in thin profile ratchet #44995. I also picked-up a set of Brake Caliper Torx bits by Lisle #27740 that contained a T40, T45 and T50.

You will need the T40 for the filter drain plug and 6-in crescent wrench for the filter cap. The T45 is used for the oil pan drain plug and the 3/8-in thin profile ratchet to do the job. The ACDelco oil filter part number is PF2256G.

The rest is elementary, but this was a different experience. I did replace the two o-ring gaskets one on the filter plug and one on the filter cap. I did coat them in oil before assembly. I did notice a rubbing sound with each turn when tightening the filter cap with the crescent wrench. It went on with no problem or leaks, so I guess that’s normal. The crescent wrench left no scares on the cap and is a good tool for the job. As far torque for the oil pan plug and filter cap plug, I just turned them until they met the surface and snugged it down a little. I would not grunt them on. Yes, I did reset the oil life reminder to 100%.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.