Key fob weak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Pwayne
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Key fob weak in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; howdy , recently i've been noticing my keyfob not working as far as it used to , so i replaced ...
    956Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Cts Black Raven

Key fob weak

howdy , recently i've been noticing my keyfob not working as far as it used to , so i replaced my battery on key fob cr2032
    and it worked for a while but decrease in range quickly. My question is does anybody know where the transmitter for key fob
    is? How can i get better range? Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Re: Key fob weak

The transmitter is obviously in key fob. However, the receiver is the same module that is used for the FM antenna as well as the Tire Pressure Sensor, if you have the sensors installed in the wheels.

KOT

your clear up taught me something, I meant receiver in the car. Also Im suggesting that it might be the door lock actuators because I can click open x amount of times and only passenger side opens and once in a while the drivers and rest or doors will work on response.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Just for ha ha's. Start your car and open one door at a time. Does the radio display the correct door? It should say "Driver's door open." "Front passenger door open" and so on.

KOT

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

Try a round bandaid behind the non contacting part of the battery on the fob, i found mine was a bit hit and miss at times and this helped till i replaced the casing with a new one, if you cant find the caddy specific fob casing (like i couldnt) the generic gm ones will fit if you sand a little away from the edges of the pcb board, not to much though, you dont want to be cutting into any of the traces on the board and breaking circuits!

TomV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS 2003

For my 2003 the receiver module is under the rear deck in the trunk. Check that it is still clipped to the deck. If you knocked it off accidentally it may be floating around and the antenna may be lower than necessary for adequate range. With my setup and a clear, unimpeded view of the car I can get at least 150 feet of range.

Pwayne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I have a similiar problem, mine is hit and miss. When it works, the range is very good. But often it doesn't work at all, even if I am fairly close to the car. I hit the button over and over, and after many tries it may decide to open, sometimes not. Then all of a sudden it will work good for a time or two, then start messing up again. I have tried new batteries 3 times, and it doesnt seem to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwayne View Post
    I have a similiar problem, mine is hit and miss. When it works, the range is very good. But often it doesn't work at all, even if I am fairly close to the car. I hit the button over and over, and after many tries it may decide to open, sometimes not. Then all of a sudden it will work good for a time or two, then start messing up again. I have tried new batteries 3 times, and it doesnt seem to help.
    Same with me, its annoying cause if I'm in a rush and it doesn't work I have to use the key to enter or walk around the damn car to open up

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Hello Pwayne,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your Key Fob. Private message us if we can be of assistance.

Regards,

Jennifer T. (Assisting Laura)
    Cadillac Customer Care

OK I think I fixed mine.

In the past, I would either just replace the battery, or clean the area where the battery makes contact.
    Than never helped any.

This time I pulled the circuit board completely out. On the side of the circuit board that you DON'T see when you split the FOB case to open it up, there was trapped moisture and some black gook, maybe mold, in there.

So I cleaned up that side of the circuit board and the FOB case, and its working good now.

Hope this applies other people having similar issues.
    CTSjones and MIKEPULL like this.

98Catera_2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera
    I just did what you suggested for my 98 Catera key fob I had something wet inside as well so cleaned it up and now it back working like it should and not only when beside the car.

Looks like this may be the cure for many of us then.

MIKEPULL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

OK I think I fixed mine.

In the past, I would either just replace the battery, or clean the area where the battery makes contact.
    Than never helped any.

This time I pulled the circuit board completely out. On the side of the circuit board that you DON'T see when you split the FOB case to open it up, there was trapped moisture and some black gook, maybe mold, in there.

So I cleaned up that side of the circuit board and the FOB case, and its working good now.

Hope this applies other people having similar issues.
    I too have been experiencing this issue and did what you suggested, and so far so good. (fingers crossed)

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

Get an aftermarket alarm with a better remote. And by better, I mean anything that works. Even if the signal sends on the first time you fully press the button, you still have to fully press the button again to unlock each individual door. Stupid. The "UNLOCK" button should unlock every door at the same time, just like the "LOCK" button.

buffalobarnes is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

I followed your suggestion for my weak key FOB for a 2005 Cadillac CTS that I just purchased used. Now it works great. Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.