Tires/brakes/steering/oil
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kingoftypos
  • 2 Post By Kingoftypos
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Tires/brakes/steering/oil in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I am new around here. Thanks in advance to all the well wishers. I have a 2006 CTS 3.6 Luxury ...
    Mad_Dog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6 Luxury Sport RWD

Tires/brakes/steering/oil

I am new around here. Thanks in advance to all the well wishers. I have a 2006 CTS 3.6 Luxury Sport RWD with 46K miles that I purchased in Feb. All recalls have been taken care of and no probs so far with this car. got a few questions, tho.

Tires: I am considering a brand new set of Cooper Zeon RS3-A 22575R17 (because I like Coopers) that will hopefully not be too bad during the winter here in southern New England as well as the rest of the year. Any opinions/experience with these or other tires? I am not made of money and would like to get by without snow tires if possible.

Brakes: I have never purchased performance brakes before, I do not know what makes them better, and I do not know if they are suggested or required with my vehicle. a li'l help here would be great.

Steering: I have noticed that whenever I am turning a corner at regular driving speeds (not driving crazy) Either traction control or stability control activates. This happens often. I could see this happening at high speeds, but regular driving as well? Tires have 5/32 of tread all around so they are not bald, but they do show rounding and that means alignment issues. Hopefully, the new tires and a 4 wheel alignment will take care of this issue. An auto parts guy told me that "Those kinds of cars just do that". What do y'all think?

Oil: What is the recommended mileage between oil changes, and must I use a full synthetic oil?

Thanks again for all your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Re: Tires/brakes/steering/oil

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Dog View Post

Oil: What is the recommended mileage between oil changes, and must I use a full synthetic oil?

Every 3,000 miles and I would stick with Mobil 1 Synthetic though there are plenty of people who run full synthetic/full dino in these cars with no issue. Regardless I definitely recommend sticking with mobil 1. I like to add a little lucas oil stabilizer in there as well. Some people will object to it on the forums and thats fine. The decision is totally up to you but it does help keep the oil thicker and I've noticed that I burn through less oil when I use a stabilizer.

With how commonplace timing chain failure is on our car I don't see why it wouldn't hurt. I would also suggest that you get in the habit of checking your oil level once a week. The oil life monitor only displays the current integrity of the oil, not the level. You damage the timing chains quite a bit when you run them low on oil. Also make sure to use a good oil filter. I normally go with the mobil 1 or k&n filter.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I am new around here. Thanks in advance to all the well wishers. I have a 2006 CTS 3.6 Luxury Sport RWD with 46K miles that I purchased in Feb. All recalls have been taken care of and no probs so far with this car. got a few questions, tho.

Tires: I am considering a brand new set of Cooper Zeon RS3-A 22575R17 (because I like Coopers) that will hopefully not be too bad during the winter here in southern New England as well as the rest of the year. Any opinions/experience with these or other tires? I am not made of money and would like to get by without snow tires if possible.

Brakes: I have never purchased performance brakes before, I do not know what makes them better, and I do not know if they are suggested or required with my vehicle. a li'l help here would be great.

Steering: I have noticed that whenever I am turning a corner at regular driving speeds (not driving crazy) Either traction control or stability control activates. This happens often. I could see this happening at high speeds, but regular driving as well? Tires have 5/32 of tread all around so they are not bald, but they do show rounding and that means alignment issues. Hopefully, the new tires and a 4 wheel alignment will take care of this issue. An auto parts guy told me that "Those kinds of cars just do that". What do y'all think?

Hello Mad_Dog,

Welcome to the forum! Happy to have to here and for you to start interacting with other Cadillac owners and lovers. I see DropEffect has already helped answer some of your questions. I see you have had recalls taken care of and so far no problems with your vehicle. I am happy to hear this and that your vehicle is operating well! If any concerns or questions ever arise, don't hesitate to reach out to us via private message!

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Like DopeEffect said, some people are going to disagree. I'm one of them, sorry DE. I've had my 06 since 2008 and relied on the OLM, thus I've changed my oil every 9,000 miles plus. Even in this New England weather. I also have a heavy foot. At the beginning, I checked my oil level every week. Then as I learned how my oil gets drank, I check it less often now. But I do agree with DE on the type of oil filter, I use the K&N oil filter for our engines. I buy them 3 at a time, shipping is the same for 1 or more.

As for the tires that you are questioning about, well those numbers are way too big. You want 225/50R17, not 225/75R17. Or you go even go with 235/50R17, this is what I use for my winter wheels. Actually, all season for the front and snow for the rear. The first 3 winters I had all season all the way around. Then once I got a set of 18" for the summer time, I swapped two of the all season 17" for winters. Didn't get much of a chance to test them this past winter. But in the previous winters the all season was fine for a RWD car. I even drove in unplowed road that had 6 plus inches, that was "fun".

KOT
    CTSjones likes this.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

Welcome to the forums.

As for the oil. Just use Mobil 1 as recommended. Check it weekly. Add as needed. I change mine every 3,000 miles, but I am sure you could go longer. The best investment you can do for the 3.6L CTS is to add an RX catch can and drill out the PCV tube.

Brakes are something people get pretty opinionated about. Just get yourself a set of R1 Concepts slotted rotors and some Hawk RedStuff pads. Slotted rotors help promote even pad wear, and vent brake gases keeping the brakes cooler. Cross-drilled rotors have freaking holes drilled in them, and can crack. That is why I say stick with the slotted rotors. Just my two cents.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...-your-oil.html

I don't think I'd ever understand why people still change their oil at 3,000 miles. Technology changes, but apparently not human thinking.

KOT
    CTSjones and Argent1 like this.

Mad_Dog is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 3.6 Luxury Sport RWD

225/50R17 is correct. My bad. The Cooper Zeons are fairly new so I didn't find much for reviews. I have had Coopers in the past and loved them so I will probably will go with those.

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    I've found the Zeons to very noisy. We have had several customers by these and go to a different tire with in several months. If you want a good all season tire go with the Continental Extreme Contact DWS.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

There are plenty of all-season options in 225/50-17, and I imagine if you search for "tires" you'll find a number of threads about what people like or don't like. I don't know much of anything about the Coopers. What tires are on the car now and what do you like or not like about them? What are you looking to spend?

The CTS has brakes just like any other car, and just like any other car you can choose to use a variety of different brake pads. There are various levels of performance pads, and typically they offer higher friction and better resistance to fade when the brakes get very hot (not a concern on a street car), at the expense of quicker wear, quicker rotor wear, more noise, and more brake dust as you get more aggressive. For a daily driver, some ceramic or "street performance" semi-metallic pads should do the trick just fine. Some plain (non-slotted, non-cross-drilled, non-cryo'd) rotors will also work just fine - I would go with Centric Premiums from www.rockauto.com.

Steering: I have noticed that whenever I am turning a corner at regular driving speeds (not driving crazy) Either traction control or stability control activates. This happens often. I could see this happening at high speeds, but regular driving as well? An auto parts guy told me that "Those kinds of cars just do that". What do y'all think?
    I think you should avoid talking to that auto parts guy for advice ever again, because he's clueless.

A somewhat common issue on these cars is a fault with the steering angle sensor, which is one of the inputs to the car's stability control system. Since you said the alerts are popping up when you turn, I'm guessing that's what is causing the recurring messages on your car. However, the traction control warnings make me wonder if you have an intermittent fault in one of the wheel speed sensors (which are built into the wheel bearing/hub assemblies). The dealership should be able to figure out which sensor is causing the warnings to pop up.

Like any car, it depends, and no. Personally, for a plain old daily driver car, I would recommend going with whatever the cheapest synthetic oil change deal is at your local Autozone/Advance Auto/whatever. Typically you can get 5qts of synthetic (Mobil1, Pennzoil Pure Platinum, Castrol Syntec, etc etc - just depends on the sale that month) and a quality filter for ~$30. With synthetic there's no reason to be changing the oil every 3000 miles (as KOT said). If you have a burning desire to change the oil every 3000 miles, then don't bother spending the extra money for synthetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    As for the tires that you are questioning about, well those numbers are way too big. You want 225/50R17, not 225/75R17. Or you go even go with 235/50R17, this is what I use for my winter wheels. Actually, all season for the front and snow for the rear.
    Not a very good idea to mix dedicated winter tires with all-seasons. I think when you do get a chance to test them you'll find the car has great traction but doesn't want to turn.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
    Just get yourself a set of R1 Concepts slotted rotors and some Hawk RedStuff pads. Slotted rotors help promote even pad wear, and vent brake gases keeping the brakes cooler. Cross-drilled rotors have freaking holes drilled in them, and can crack. That is why I say stick with the slotted rotors. Just my two cents.
    Hawk doesn't make Red Stuff pads, EBC does. Slotted rotors will do nothing on a street car other than look pretty and accelerate pad wear. Slotted rotors don't keep the brakes cooler. Modern pads (particularly typical street pads on a street car) don't outgas, and even if they did, venting off the gases has nothing to do with cooling the brakes. Other than aesthetics, there's really no reason to go with slotted (or drilled) rotors on a street car.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.