HELP! GAS SPEWING from under car after fill up
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, HELP! GAS SPEWING from under car after fill up in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello all, Today I was at the gas station and after filling up the car I noticed a real bad ...
    robio361 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS automatic

HELP! GAS SPEWING from under car after fill up

Hello all,

Today I was at the gas station and after filling up the car I noticed a real bad gas smell. When I walked away to pay I noticed gas was gushing!! from under the car on the driver side rear, right in front of the rear tire. The spill covered an area about 8 feet in diameter. I had it towed home and when I started up the car, no leak at all! I don't understand why there is no leak now. After looking at the gas gauge I had lost just under a 1/4 tank of gas. And NO, I did not continue to fill after the gas pump shut off. It clicked once then I stopped. Does anyone have any ideas what it might be? I don't want to drive it this way but there is no leak anymore.

Thanks,

Rob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    Quote Originally Posted by robio361
    Hello all,

Today I was at the gas station and after filling up the car I noticed a real bad gas smell. When I walked away to pay I noticed gas was gushing!! from under the car on the driver side rear, right in front of the rear tire. The spill covered an area about 8 feet in diameter. I had it towed home and when I started up the car, no leak at all! I don't understand why there is no leak now. After looking at the gas gauge I had lost just under a 1/4 tank of gas. And NO, I did not continue to fill after the gas pump shut off. It clicked once then I stopped. Does anyone have any ideas what it might be? I don't want to drive it this way but there is no leak anymore.

Thanks,

Rob
    Check your fuel filter high pressure lines. Maybe the connections are loose/damaged or cross threaded. The location of the fuel filter is in the same area you mentioned. Hopefully this helps resolve your issue.

Re: HELP! GAS SPEWING from under car after fill up

Thanks Bluehaze for the info. I was ale to get underneath the car and notice that there was an area still wet from gas and it was back further from the filter. I noticed that it was coming from the top of the tank on the driver side. I cannot get to the top of the tank without dropping it but it looked like it was coming from there and leaking down the side of the tank right above the left axle. Any ideas?

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Sounds like your fuel cell sprung a leak. Idk how many miles you have on your car but with all the ethanol in gasoline nowadays it wears out the material over time.

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

Sounds like a fuel pump hose split or come adrift, will have to drop the tank to fix it!

Thank everyone for the help. I was hoping I wouldn't have to drop the tank but seems like the only way to find the problem. Guess now I'll search the boards for an easy way to do this. Again, Thank you for your help. BY the way my car has 100k on it.

Yeah. What they said. I'll look for the replacement info once i get to work. PM (chris) rippy automotive for parts once you find out what needs to be replaced.

Thanks, I will contact chris.

wmillar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS
    If your car is a 2008-2009, the tank was put in too close to the floor and over time the floor rubs a hole in the plastic fuel line on the feul pump. In my case when this happened they had to replace the fuel pump.

My car is F3 sports suspension car. To get the gas tank off they had to lower the whole back suspension, something you can't do in your driveway. I, m glad it was under warranty at the time.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if this is the same setup for 2003 models?

I'm sorry I replied to the First Generation website, but the answer to your question is: The 2003 gas tank is easy to take off, you just need to put it on ramps. There are two metal straps holding the gas tank up, but you may have overfilled it and the gas just ran on top of the tank, but there are dual fuel pumps on the 2003.

Thanks wmillar for the help. That makes sense, the overfilling. I'll get on those tanks today.
    Again thank you.

Hello again, OK I finally got under the car to look at how to drop the tank. Can anyone help me with this? It looks like you have remove the drive shaft and maybe the exhaust in order to drop the tank. There isn't a single post here about how to do it except (remove hoses drop tank and replace.) That does me no good. The problem I have with the gas leak is coming from the driver side top of the gas tank. There is a fuel line I have found online in a diagram that fits that location. Also The gas will not leak unless I drive the car causing the gas to slosh around in the tank. If anyone here has done this before (drop the tank)I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 2003 cts.

Thanks again,

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robio361
    Hello again, OK I finally got under the car to look at how to drop the tank. Can anyone help me with this? It looks like you have remove the drive shaft and maybe the exhaust in order to drop the tank. There isn't a single post here about how to do it except (remove hoses drop tank and replace.) That does me no good. The problem I have with the gas leak is coming from the driver side top of the gas tank. There is a fuel line I have found online in a diagram that fits that location. Also The gas will not leak unless I drive the car causing the gas to slosh around in the tank. If anyone here has done this before (drop the tank)I would greatly appreciate it. I have a 2003 cts.

Thanks again,

Rob
    I forgot to get that repair/replacement Installation instructions. Pm me or post your email. I don't know how to upload the docs from my phone.

Go to utube how to replace CTS Cadillac fuel pump. I hope you drain the gas tank?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.