HELP! GAS SPEWING from under car after fill up - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, HELP! GAS SPEWING from under car after fill up in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; OP, check your email. It should be in there...
    Bluehaze07 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS
    OP, check your email. It should be in there

robio361 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS automatic

Re: HELP! GAS SPEWING from under car after fill up

I got the email. Thanks again for your help. Geez this looks like a headache! Oh well, can't afford the shop so I guess it will be a long weekend.

----------

Thanks wmillar, I will need all the help I can get to get this job done.

wmillar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

You need to go to the dealer and pick up a fuel pump so you'll have it. The problem is going to be is that the plastic the fuel line goes into is cracked or maybe the seal for the fuel pump is leaking. I think someone already sent you the video on You Tube on how to replace electric fuel pumps. I will send you the link so you can see how it is done.

----------

This a 1997 Chevy Tahoe, but the fuel situation is basically the same as you have. Here is thelink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V-257Bn0sA

Good Luck

CTSUK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury

I've seen a few people cut holes under the seats to replace fuel pumps before, why Cadillac didnt add an access hole to make things simpler not only for their technicians but us diy'ers is beyond thinking.

I just saw a post yesteray where someone cut the hole to access the fuel pump. I seroiusly thought about that but Im already half way there I think.Today I took the exhaust off and the drive shaft. I just need to take both lower shock bolts off and then the two front front bolts connecting the chasis to the frame in order to lower it a bit to get to the tank strap bolts. After hat I think the tank will drop. Oh and by doing this I just added the cost of a new drive shaft center support bearing, It was toast! Just like remodeling a house, once you tear into it you never know wha your going to find. By the way, do you or anyone else know if I can use one of those dorman beaings fron the auto parts store? Or does it have to be oem?

OK I got the gas tank out and man was it a PITA!! But I found out where the leak was coming from. The fuel sending unit gasket was not seated properly. When I pulled up the fuel sending unit, part of the gasket had fallen in the tank so only about 3/4 of the gasket was sealing it. Thankfully I only had to reset the gasket and reinstall the sending unit. Now there are no leaks at all. Such a big job for a simple fix. The dealer wanted $75 just for the little gasket. Thanks to everyone who helped me with the gas tank removal. FYI If you don't have a lift it will be very hard because you need to be able to move the tank straps all the forward. But having it on jack stands doesn't give the proper height to do it right. I had to bend the hell out of the straps to get them forward. But other than that the procedure that bluehaze07 gave me was exactly what I needed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.