Any update on that RX throttle body... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Any update on that RX throttle body... in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Yeah still need some long tubes and a tune then I will plan on graduating I will need a new ...
    Tlorenzen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06RedCTS3.6Lux;V Exhaust,Tint,Rx-CAI-Can-Ice,AuxJack

Re: Any update on that RX throttle body...

Yeah still need some long tubes and a tune then I will plan on graduating

I will need a new transmission/dif if I keep going. (I can feel mine getting weaker) Which I fully plan to as long as I continue to have money to support it. Have also considered getting a 3k stall or something of the sort. Not sure how much I want to cam as I don't really want to loose my luxury...Well see when that road comes though.

I'm taking my roomates srt8 to Tracy next Friday to install headers. Should get it up to almost 600to the crank and hopefully have the TB to take home to my car.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

I figure my transmission has over 100,000 miles on it. Even with a recent flush/filter/fill service and an external cooler, its only a matter of time before it grenades. I think the exact same thing about my differential. The transmission choice is obvious, for me. Built from scratch Level-10 Bulletproof 5L40E with, like you said, a 3,000rpm stall. But that is $3,500 I really do not want to spend until I have to.

The cheapest differential upgrade would probably be a V1 pumpkin. All the V1 guys who modify their engines upgrade to latest and greatest version of the rear end. That should leave plenty of first generation diff's laying about for cheaps. We CTS-Jr owners would have to go forced induction just to make the V1 baseline, so we do not have to worry about blowing up any Vee-car rear ends. Plus, that gives us 3.73 gears... fun.

As good as that sounds, I can't justify spending $3500 right now either lol. I will probably just do an upgrade rebuild when the time comes. Hopefully not for a while though. Wonder how hard it'd be to get an extra gear in there..6 speed auto would def be nice.

I never gave thought to the V dif. That is a great idea really,, cheap and semi-strong..BUT, would you need to get the whole rear axel to go with it though? or would it be plug and play? Atleast I'd know I could beat on it without breaking things hehe.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
    Tracey,
    How is that LY7 throttle body coming along? I am chomping at the bit here. Still number one on the group buy if that is going to happen.

Tlorenzen,
    How are you liking it?
    Hey, look! I found a thread that was specifically about the throttle body, and it was active in the past week!

Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    Not to mention these are all bolt on 100% safe mods. No tuning and no worries.
    How are you determining that without seeing what Tlorenzen's AFR, knock count, timing, etc looked like before and after? He's making more power by getting more air and fuel through the engine, as is the case with porting the heads or long tube headers or just about anything else. It shouldn't be any more or less safe without a tune than with other, more aggressive mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Tlorenzen View Post
    This is still 50crank hp more than stock. Which is about 42whp more than stock (est. 15% Loss) Given the catchcan doesn't really add hp.. 42whp for 3 simple parts is pretty good in my eyes.
    Based on what you posted in the original RX throttle body thread, I think that 50bhp gain is a bit suspect...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tlorenzen View Post
    Well stock hp is 255. So take the 49 gained hp - 8 and you still have 41hp between 3 other mods..exhaust, CAI, Iceolator...Tracy didn't have a dyno when we first started with the CAI and iceolator so no baseline runs were ran.
    Producing crank horsepower number from a chassis dyno is pretty sketchy, particularly if you have no baseline run upon which to base assumptions of drivetrain losses. And even if you knew the stock drivetrain losses, they're not linear as the power output of the engine rises - from what I've learned over the years, the drivetrain losses (as a percentage of BHP) go down as BHP goes up.

I am curious why RX would have their dyno displaying BHP. There's a reason basically nobody does that.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
    After that I really want to see what blueprint/balance/knife-blade/cyro the rotating assembly, port/polish the heads, valve job, and cams all tuned together can do. Nobody, to my knowledge, has taken the LY7 to the grinder. Hell, scrape a couple thousandths off the heads to increase compression. There is a lot that can be done just using what it came with. Just have to be willing to have it done.
    If I were you I would save yourself lots of time and money and skip the built short block. Definitely skip the cryo - I don't know what one would want to do that for. It's highly unlikely you'd see any notable gains from balancing and blueprinting, as modern engines are much better in that regard than older engines. The same is probably true of knife edging the crank; with all the focus on maximizing powertrain efficiency (to get those all-important good EPA mileage numbers), the factory will want to minimize windage losses so the crank is probably already good.

Go to town on the heads - as long as it's done properly, that's going to give much better return on the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Blayne View Post
    50 crank horsepower? So you pulled the engine out and dynoed just the engine? That's the only way to get true crank hp. If you did wheel hp and you are guesstimating the crank hp then that's balls.
    Indeed.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

GreekMavro is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

In for group buy and first post haha

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Hey, look! I found a thread that was specifically about the throttle body, and it was active in the past week!

How are you determining that without seeing what Tlorenzen's AFR, knock count, timing, etc looked like before and after? He's making more power by getting more air and fuel through the engine, as is the case with porting the heads or long tube headers or just about anything else. It shouldn't be any more or less safe without a tune than with other, more aggressive mods.

Based on what you posted in the original RX throttle body thread, I think that 50bhp gain is a bit suspect...

Producing crank horsepower number from a chassis dyno is pretty sketchy, particularly if you have no baseline run upon which to base assumptions of drivetrain losses. And even if you knew the stock drivetrain losses, they're not linear as the power output of the engine rises - from what I've learned over the years, the drivetrain losses (as a percentage of BHP) go down as BHP goes up.

I am curious why RX would have their dyno displaying BHP. There's a reason basically nobody does that.

If I were you I would save yourself lots of time and money and skip the built short block. Definitely skip the cryo - I don't know what one would want to do that for. It's highly unlikely you'd see any notable gains from balancing and blueprinting, as modern engines are much better in that regard than older engines. The same is probably true of knife edging the crank; with all the focus on maximizing powertrain efficiency (to get those all-important good EPA mileage numbers), the factory will want to minimize windage losses so the crank is probably already good.

Go to town on the heads - as long as it's done properly, that's going to give much better return on the investment.

Indeed.
    Setting things straight! Honestly, I'm not really sure why the dyno was set to crank numbers..I thought it was kind of weird myself, but I'll ask him when I go back over there and see if can get that fixed. We did have a computer plugged in and o2 sensor in exhaust if that means anything.

Quote Originally Posted by GreekMavro View Post
    In for group buy and first post haha
    Welcome to the forums. Glad to see we have another member committed to Tracey's throttle body.

AAIIIC,
    Machining the heads and swapping cams are something I really want to do. I just emailed MACE to see if they offer any upgraded valvetrain components. I already know they offer a camshaft kit that is designed for use with the stock valvetrain, but if I am spending the money to P&P my heads and swap cams, I would like beehive springs and higher ratio rockers and cams ground to best utilize the new gear. So I am seeing if they offer such things. They also have a die-hard double row timing chain kit that I am interested in. Hopefully they get back to me with a favorable reply.

Update: Got an email from Tracy today. Unfortunately, he isn't sure if the TB will be done or not on Friday. I will call VMAX tomorrow to get a better one

Just talked to vmax today. The first pass just finished and hes not happy with how it turned out. Said something to do with epoxy idk. But anyways it isn't ready and will, unfortunately, still be a while. Sorry for the bad news as I want this back in my car as much as you guys want it haha. Will know a little more tomorrow.

I would rather wait and have it be amazing, than have it now and have to deal with any issues.
    Tlorenzen likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.