4.3L Swap???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 4.3L Swap??? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Just wondering if anyone has contemplated a 4.3L Vortec swap. Seems relatively easy and can really make some power on ...
    hotstreet is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cts 03

4.3L Swap???

Just wondering if anyone has contemplated a 4.3L Vortec swap. Seems relatively easy and can really make some power on boost?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 132k

Re: 4.3L Swap???

If you haven't read the thread regarding the V swap I would suggest doing so...That member successfully swapped an LS V8 into his CTS but it was quite the task. I cannot imagine how much work it would be to swap in a motor that never went into any Cadillac. But with that said...Anything is possible if you have the money to throw at it.
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by curtc View Post
    If you haven't read the thread regarding the V swap I would suggest doing so...That member successfully swapped an LS V8 into his CTS but it was quite the task. I cannot imagine how much work it would be to swap in a motor that never went into any Cadillac. But with that said...Anything is possible if you have the money to throw at it.
    or knowledge and experience.... The 1st engine swap into a CTS was a different V6, and it was completed before the 2004 V was released. http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...cts_b_feature/

Nice! See, anything is possible....Just need the ching, the tools, and the know-how....
    Past Cadillac's

aviatordave is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS, 1976 Seville (sold)

doesn't make sense to throw money at another 6 cylinder... if you're gonna spend the money and do the work, get an LS and make real power.

That's what I'd do if I had unlimited funds...Through an LS into my STS with forced induction....YEEHAWWWW!!!!

Create my own Frankenstien STS-V!
    Past Cadillac's

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    or knowledge and experience.... The 1st engine swap into a CTS was a different V6, and it was completed before the 2004 V was released. http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...cts_b_feature/
    That 4.1 turbo swap is freaking cool. Still a Cadi engine, too. Neat.

But if a 4.3 is what you want, this is how you should build it:
    http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...d/viewall.html
    And you should still find a way to cram at least 10psi boost into it, via turbo or front mount supercharger.

Id love to see a N* swap into a CTS, if only for the novelty. I wonder how much the N* from the rwd STS weighs? Curtc, do you know?

hotstreet is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cts 03

The 4.3 Vortec is essential a iron block LS motor with two cylinders missing. It can make some power. I dare to be different if I wanted a v8 I would buy a v! I love boost over displacement!

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by hotstreet
    The 4.3 Vortec is essential a iron block LS motor with two cylinders missing. It can make some power. I dare to be different if I wanted a v8 I would buy a v! I love boost over displacement!
    If you want boost do a L32 3800 swap. That would kick the shit out of any 4.3. I had a L67 3800that made 300 whp with little effort. L32 had a better bottom end and better supercharger.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by hotstreet View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has contemplated a 4.3L Vortec swap. Seems relatively easy and can really make some power on boost?
    Wait what? The 4.3L Vortec V6?! HELL NO. Take it from someone who has owned a 4.3L V6... Hell no.
    You'd be better off with an iron block 5.3L LM7 and working from there if that was the case.
    The last swap thread was downright ridiculous and proved my point about how its much easier to just sell the V6 for a V... vs doing a full swap. I see no point in swapping to a 4.3L V6 that makes 190hp? vs any of the other engines that are already available in the CTS V6. I've seen boosted 3.2s on here... so if you're going to go that route, why not just start with a turbo on low boost and work from there with the 3.2 you already have?

In no way, shape, or form... do I think the 4.3L V6 is a good swap option.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

The 4.3L is an awesome little engine. Its literally 3/4 of the famous Chevy 350. It can be expected to make the same horsepower per cubes as the 350. You can stroke it out to 4.6L and have 75% of the 383 Stroker! And that is really freaking cool. Hell, GMPP even has an all aluminum 4.3L block if you can find them. The 4.3, or 4.6 stroker, can handle mad boost, as well.

All of that being said... the 4.3L V6 was made specifically to be torn out of Chevy Astros and swapped into Jeeps, 1985 Toyota pickups, and Suzuki Samurais... end of story. Every engine available for the CTS is already better for the CTS than even a 16psi twin-turbo 4.6L stroked Vortec V6.

If you have the money to add boost to a 4.3L Vortec, you have money to add boost to the engine thats already in your CTS. That would probably be better anyways, because the 4.3 will leave half your sensors unplugged so you will always have a CEL and never pass DEQ.

Just boost your 3.2L... there are not nearly enough forced induction HFV6's on here.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren View Post
    Just boost your 3.2L... there are not nearly enough forced induction HFV6's on here.
    I dont know of any F/I HFV6's, but there have been a couple F/I 3.2L's...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jran0823 View Post
    If you want boost do a L32 3800 swap. That would kick the shit out of any 4.3. I had a L67 3800that made 300 whp with little effort. L32 had a better bottom end and better supercharger.
    L32...thats the later Grand Prix's rated at 260 hp? Did they still use the M90?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by hotstreet View Post
    Its a pre-LS engine....you mean its a 6/8ths SBC?

GM's straight 6, the 4200 Vortec, would be an interesting choice too...

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-progress.html

Page 2 is when the fabbing starts getting interesting. Worth reading if you want to go that route. I see a million 'engine swap' and 'turbo' threads here.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    The L32 still uses an Eaton M90 but it's a Gen V verses the L67's Gen III.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.